• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword (5/12/17)
2 2

47 posts in this topic

Some reviews have already been posted early.

"A huge surprise and huge breath of fresh air for someone not into these movies!"

The Movie Channel review.

"The movie was really good, though problems in editing. With more planned in the franchise, I'm in for the ride!"

But then there was the negative based on comparing to other King Arthur movies.

"SO GLAD neither of us had to pay for this movie. I wouldn't recommend it - at all!"

:eek:

Just now, fantastic_four said:

Review embargo lifted and the critics are taking a steaming dump all over this film.  Currently at 22% on Rotten Tomatoes with 8 positives and 29 negatives.

I expected this, as the trailer was awful. It looked like it was trying to be too many different movies.

The most common complaint is exactly what I commented on from the trailer and what the Rotten Tomatoes tag line states--they moderned it up and took out the historical context.  I have no patience for historical pieces which use modern stylizing.  If you're going to use something old then put everything about it in its time; don't use some historical elements and mix them with modern ones.

Just now, fantastic_four said:

The most common complaint is exactly what I commented on from the trailer and what the Rotten Tomatoes tag line states--they moderned it up and took out the historical context.  I have no patience for historical pieces which use modern stylizing.  If you're going to use something old then put everything about it in its time; don't use some historical elements and mix them with modern ones.

I agree. The same thing will happen to Zorro in the new reboot.  I will call it now in that the Zorro reboot bombs at the box -office.

'Zorro' to Get Post-Apocalyptic Reboot Film (Exclusive).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zorro-get-post-apocalyptic-reboot-815937

Zorro Reborn is a post-apocalyptic take on the myth of Zorro, the pulp hero created in 1919. The traditional stories cast Zorro as a hero of peasants and farmers who fought against corrupt and brutal officials of Spanish-held California. Reborn is set in the near future but keeps the idea of a masked and caped stranger taking on tyrants.

‘King Arthur’ Looks Like an Epic Flop.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-king-arthur-legend-of-the-sword-snatched-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-1202422437/

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” looks to continue its reign over the box office this weekend, but it’s far from the most interesting story. That title goes to “King Arthur: Legend of the Sword,” which is anticipating an opening weekend flop of epic proportions for Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow. Off of a $175 million production budget, not taking into account marketing costs, Guy Ritchie’s take on the medieval legend should make $25 million from over 3,600 locations.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:56 AM, fantastic_four said:

It kind of worked for Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes though, at the box-office.

The worldwide BO of Legend of Tarzan too.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:02 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I agree. The same thing will happen to Zorro in the new reboot.  I will call it now in that the Zorro reboot bombs at the box -office.

'Zorro' to Get Post-Apocalyptic Reboot Film (Exclusive).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zorro-get-post-apocalyptic-reboot-815937

Zorro Reborn is a post-apocalyptic take on the myth of Zorro, the pulp hero created in 1919. The traditional stories cast Zorro as a hero of peasants and farmers who fought against corrupt and brutal officials of Spanish-held California. Reborn is set in the near future but keeps the idea of a masked and caped stranger taking on tyrants.

Yup. It didn't work for The Phantom 3876 (or something like that) and I don't see working here as well.

My son and his high school friends saw it last night, although my son argued for seeing GOTG again .... He said it was surprisingly entertaining.   I think that's your audience right there. High school boys. 

7 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Monty Python killed that genre 43 year ago. lol 

If "King Arthur" couldn't revive it about a decade ago, nothing could.

I bought tickets yesterday for John Cleese and Monty Python and the Holy Grail. They show the movie and then he comes out and talks with a Q&A! Taking the 14 year old daughter as well, she has been enjoying the series this last month with the family.

2 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/king-arthur-opens-disastrous-14-7-million-debut-behind-snatched-150844037.html

'disastrous...'  no, excalibur, here...:frown:

To be honest, I didn't expect much from the trailers, either.

Yup. Box Office Guru called it earlier.

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

v003wsw.png

I was asked by friend if I want go see this movie on the long weekend coming up. I told them I wasn't interested as I felt it wouldn't come out how I had remembered the story when I was a boy. Not gonna waste my good ticket ... gonna save it for Wonder Woman. 

Sometimes I wish I could get paid for my preview predictions.  I feel like I am constantly seeing movie previews and saying to a friend, "that is going to BOMB."  I'd say I'm running about 75% accuracy rating.  How is it the people who actually DO do this for a job can't see the piles of poo before it hits the fan?