• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hrmm. I'm not sure about this..

28 posts in this topic

I bought a cgc comic off of ebay and it arrived today. The grade given to it by CGC is 9.6. Now i am no grader and probably couldnt grade a pea well if asked to. But i think this comic may have been a litle overgraded. See what you think for yourself.

This is the comic/grade slab that arrievd today

cgc.jpg

This is the top left corner

dogeared.jpg

This is the bottom right corner

dogeareds.jpg

I know its not too much damage btu the front page is a little off too. I think its been well overgraded. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i hope the seller isn't one of the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons that say cgc graded books can never be returned/refunded.

it might have been 9.6 when it left his/her hands, but it's obviously not now.

hope he works it out with you without having to resort to a chargeback or the like.

The seller replied to my email. Surely the royal mail can't have done this to the comic?! It was sent in a large box crammed full of foam pieces and was as well protected as things get.

This is the email:

Hi; I am 100 % sure when the comic was sent, it was undamaged, in immaculate CGC 9.6 condition and I send the CGC items in very secure packaging. I have sent the item exactly the way I have bought it and I have not noticed ANY problems with it. I am wondering if the Royal Mail somehow screwed this up? I don't see how they can do it in that package but...

Does anyone have any advice?

Speaking as someone who has had many slabbed comics arrive with SCS, I don't think the seller is responsible and shouldn't be required to refund the money. Approaching Royal Mail, if insured, would be the right course in my opinion.

The seller packed the slab well per your description. It's not his fault that either CGC's slab caused the damage or you don't like how the comic was graded. It sucks, I know. As I said, I've had more of these "surprises" than I care to think about but never thought the seller should be accountable...

Jim

I checked. Sadly it wasnt insured. It still puzzles me how the Royal Mail could have damaged it liek this. They must have had some serious games of football with it. It was in a box too big for it but was jammed in with a tonne of foam pieces. Either the seller is lying and it was posted out like that or somethign happened to it in transit. It can't have been graded a 9.6 by CGC in this state. Like i said, i may not know much about grading but i have vague expectations when i send them off. And i certainly wouldnt have expected this to get a 9.6 confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know what to do with it anymore. i was just a filler to be honest. Might just crack it open and read it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Kilt.. I understand that the box arrived to you foam packed airtight, and bulletproof.

But it might not have been damaged enroute to you, it might have recieved some damage in prior mailings...

Can you look back to the auction photos and verify that the book did not have the same damage in the auction photos? And go from there.. if the auction scan has damage.. then it was listed that way.. if not.. then it did indeed recieve damage on its way to you.

Sorry bout your loss either way.

Did you call CGC and get the grader notes?

See if they note the book having a dinged ULC?

Also the dinged ULC looks to be really severe..but the innerwell is recessed at the possible impact area.

Can you tell if the book might have been able to even hit the top edge of the well to cause damage like this?

Ze-

was it insured?

I'd like to see what would happen if someone tried to file a claim against the post office because a 9.whatever was no longer a 9.whatever due to slab damage.

Imagine trying to expalin to post office personnel that the comic is no longer worth 10 times guide because of a bump in the corner that **couldn't** have been there when it was graded? Try filing an insurance claim for the difference between 5 times and 10 times guide... They'd look at you like you were screwy.gif

I think the only way you'd ever collect on a post office claim is if the slab was totally smashed and the book badly damaged.

Kilt.. I understand that the box arrived to you foam packed airtight, and bulletproof.

But it might not have been damaged enroute to you, it might have recieved some damage in prior mailings...

Can you look back to the auction photos and verify that the book did not have the same damage in the auction photos? And go from there.. if the auction scan has damage.. then it was listed that way.. if not.. then it did indeed recieve damage on its way to you.

Sorry bout your loss either way.

Did you call CGC and get the grader notes?

See if they note the book having a dinged ULC?

Ze-

Here is the sellers scan. See what you guys think.

2a_1_b.jpg

Quite difficult to make out.

was it insured?

I'd like to see what would happen if someone tried to file a claim against the post office because a 9.whatever was no longer a 9.whatever due to slab damage.

Imagine trying to expalin to post office personnel that the comic is no longer worth 10 times guide because of a bump in the corner that **couldn't** have been there when it was graded? Try filing an insurance claim for the difference between 5 times and 10 times guide... They'd look at you like you were screwy.gif

I think the only way you'd ever collect on a post office claim is if the slab was totally smashed and the book badly damaged.

i wouldn't argue it that a 9.6 was now significantly less. but i would say that the seller agrees that the book was not in that condition when it shipped. if it had been insured, that would have been enough to launch a claim. seller says it was in better condition, seller agrees it is not in the same condition as pictured or as shipped and buyer is looking for a legit claim.

it's moot, however as it was not insured frown.gif

I checked. Sadly it wasnt insured. It still puzzles me how the Royal Mail could have damaged it liek this. They must have had some serious games of football with it. It was in a box too big for it but was jammed in with a tonne of foam pieces. Either the seller is lying and it was posted out like that or somethign happened to it in transit. It can't have been graded a 9.6 by CGC in this state. Like i said, i may not know much about grading but i have vague expectations when i send them off. And i certainly wouldnt have expected this to get a 9.6 confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know what to do with it anymore. i was just a filler to be honest. Might just crack it open and read it. confused-smiley-013.gif

that sucks.......... mad.gif

it's quite possible that the book was damaged before it got shipped by the seller and he just didn't notice it. not everyone is even aware of SCS, and he may never have inspected it all that closely.

and some of us have actually completely avoided it despite having hundreds of slabs.

not really sure what to do, but if it was packaged as well as you say, then it shouldn't have happened this time around IMHO.

good luck........... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

When you zoom in and sharpen a bit, there's a shadow that looks like it might be a crease on the damaged corner... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'd say it was there beforehand but wouldn't bet my rep on it...

Jim

Perhaps intentionally difficult to make out?

Thats what i was thinking. But all of her scans are the same so either he is selling tonnes of damged comics within slabs or he just has a really [#@$%!!!] scanner. I reckon it's the latter one.

I think it was damaged whilst he had it. He doesnt seem to know that much about CGC and graded so maybe he just assumed that even with the dog ears the comic was in 9.6 condition.