• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hrmm. I'm not sure about this..

28 posts in this topic

and some of us have actually completely avoided it despite having hundreds of slabs.

hi.gif I have only one book with minor slab damage... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I think some of this is attributed to how far and through what means our mail gets to us. Some of my mail arrives in packages that looks as if someone decided to play frisbee or soccer with them.

So I've had my share of SCS...

Jim

and some of us have actually completely avoided it despite having hundreds of slabs.

hi.gif I have only one book with minor slab damage... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I think some of this is attributed to how far and through what means out mail gets to us. Some of my mail arrives in packages that looks as if someone decided to play frisbee or soccer with them.

So I've had my share of SCS...

Jim

I'm picturing turbulence as a big culprit. Your books are in a plane anywhere from 2 to 10 times longer than mine are in the air.

When you zoom in and sharpen a bit, there's a shadow that looks like it might be a crease on the damaged corner... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'd say it was there beforehand but wouldn't bet my rep on it...

Jim

i concur with this assessment, and the subsequent modifying clause

i wouldn't argue it that a 9.6 was now significantly less. but i would say that the seller agrees that the book was not in that condition when it shipped. if it had been insured, that would have been enough to launch a claim. seller says it was in better condition, seller agrees it is not in the same condition as pictured or as shipped and buyer is looking for a legit claim.

it's moot, however as it was not insured frown.gif

No, Zipper's 100% right...no way any postal service insurance would cover this, at least not without lengthy 'appeals' process or arbitration (if that's even possible?). Come on, can you imagine how many nutty demands for insurance compensation the Post Office must get? They'd look at this request and think "fraud." No one but a lunatic would claim that a tiny ding to the corner of a comic could reduce it's value by 80% or more. Hell, if they were to honor such a claim, it would open the doors to all kinds of similar claims, some of which would undoubtedly be fraudulent.

Among the things you'd have to establish in order to get the P.O. to make good on such a claim:

- that the book didn't have the damage prior to shipping (I'm talking visual evidence, not the "9.6" on the label)

- the the book was the same one as shown in the seller's auction listing (i.e., that the slab wasn't somehow tampered with and the 'real' 9.6 book replaced with a lesser copy)

- that the difference in value between a 9.2 and a 9.6 of this book is in fact $XX.

- that the damage didn't occur sometime after shipping, through normal handling before the recipient noticed the damaged corner

As for "turbulence" causing the damage, that's laughable. Think about how hard you have to shake a slab to move the comic around enough to cause significant impact with the internal edges of the slab. Now think about how hard you'd have to shake it if the slab were encased in styrofoam packing materials inside a cardboard box. Now imagine you're a giant, and the box containing the comic is on an airplane...how hard would you have to shake the plane? 27_laughing.gif

depending on the size of the giant, shaking the plane what seems an inch or two would be like throwing the box into a washing machine for 30 seconds or something, but meh, that blows, about your book though.

All I can say is....

OUCH!!

I checked. Sadly it wasnt insured. It still puzzles me how the Royal Mail could have damaged it liek this. They must have had some serious games of football with it.

you mean soccer poke2.gifthumbsup2.gif

In this country it's called football. So it shall remain with me saying football. As i shall still spell colour with a u and not without. 893naughty-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif