• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Long is too Long for Winning Bidders to Pay?

24 posts in this topic

I've just started selling my mid grade SA's and low grade GA books on Ebay for the past couple of months. For the most part, it's been a good experience. I've lost money on a lot of these books, but at least I feel good about my fair grading.

However, one of the main problems I'm facing is winning bidders dragging their feet when it comes to paying. For instance, this one person won an auction a while back and paid within 10 days (which is fine) via money order. He also seemed like a very nice person since he actually sent me an apology letter for being late (plus he has 100% feedback). However, since then he's won two additional items, and hasn't paid for 1 month and 3 weeks, respectively. I've sent him e-mails and he's responded by saying things have been hectic and he'll send me the money as soon as possible. In the meantime, he keeps bidding on my other auctions.

I don't want to make a big fuss, since the total is only around $70, and I still have the books. However, I hate having unresolved transactions piling up month after month. My question to the expert Ebay sellers out there, is how long is too long to wait, even if it's very likely that you'll get paid at the end?

Another problem I've run into is bidders winning auctions 2 weeks apart and wanting to combine shipping. I'm all for combining shipping to reduce cost, but I just don't like making it a habit for someone to wait 2 or 3 weeks to pay so they can save money on shipping.

For every 20 auctions I run, I will have one winner that drags his feet. Probably 25 total people in the time I have been selling. Of those 25, only 1 has ever failed to pay. One month is getting a bit long, but usually they will eventually pay. On the 2 week delay to combine shipping - I allow that no problem.

Skybolt,

Generally at least to me, I always have my auctions end on Sunday nights, so that they have a whole business week to pay me.

If I don't see a check or paypal payment by the next Monday I get kind of leary, and by that Wednesday or the 10th day, I figure they aren't going to pay and I relist.

I state in my auction either 7 or 10 days for payment. Depends on how I feel when i list.

I send out invoices the day after the auction ends. If i've not heard back by day 5 that payment is comming, i send a second invoice with a note that if i don't have payment by day 10, it will be relisted.

If by day 11 i don't have payment, I relist and add the buyer to my blocked bidders list.

Skybolt,

Generally at least to me, I always have my auctions end on Sunday nights, so that they have a whole business week to pay me.

If I don't see a check or paypal payment by the next Monday I get kind of leary, and by that Wednesday or the 10th day, I figure they aren't going to pay and I relist.

I always list my stuff as "immediate payment required" just so that there is no misunderstandings but I like the idea of allowing the 5 business days maximum. Really if they can't come up with the money from Monday to Friday they really shouldn't be bidding.

Really if they can't come up with the money from Monday to Friday they really shouldn't be bidding.

I agree. In my auctions I put "Payment is expected within 7 days of the auction's end." I've had two people who didn't pay until I filed a non-paying winner dispute against them through ebay (and I only did this after sending many, many e-mails trying to get them to at least tell me what was going on - but I have no problem doing this if e-mail after e-mail goes unanswered).

How long is too long? It depends on you. But I think it's reasonable for someone to at least let you know SOMETHING within 7 days of the auction ending.

I give people 3 days, to either pay by PayPal .. or to email me stating that they are going to send a Money Order. If I don't get any communication after those 3 days are up, they forfeit their winning bid. I don't like to beat around the bush waiting for people.

However, since then he's won two additional items, and hasn't paid for 1 month and 3 weeks, respectively. I've sent him e-mails and he's responded by saying things have been hectic and he'll send me the money as soon as possible. In the meantime, he keeps bidding on my other auctions.

I'd tell him he has three days to pay and then you're going to relist the auctions. I'd also block him from bidding on my auctions.

18 days, 13 hours and 54 minutes is my absolute limit. After that, I start sending small parts of the book in regular # 10 envelopes. The fact that they've not yet paid never seems to be an issue...they send the money just to stop the horrific mailings...

18 days, 13 hours and 54 minutes is my absolute limit. After that, I start sending small parts of the book in regular # 10 envelopes. The fact that they've not yet paid never seems to be an issue...they send the money just to stop the horrific mailings...

sign-funnypost.gif I will let people have 2 weeks in order to combine shipping. JUST AS LONG AS THEY LET ME KNOW'S GOING ON. I hate when they don't tell you their intentions and keep bidding. A MAJOR pet peeve of mine.

I guess I'm pretty flexible when it comes to payment. If I get a buyer with great feedback and has great communication, for example he e-mails and tells me he'll be paying two weeks late, or wants to wait another week for other auctions to end, etc. then I'm usually OK with this. I figure that if I'm confident that the buyer will eventually pay, like within a month, then I don't mind. I don't like it, but I'm not going to refuse future bids from the guy that may make me more money because he regularly pays late. I just chalk it up do doing business. Some people are just more prompt than others. Of course if I get the feeling that I may never get paid, then that's another story.

Another thing to consider, whether it is a wise move or not, is that some buyers count on receiving payment of books they have sold before being able to pay for books they have bought. For example, a month ago I bought a large lot of BA horror from Sterling but I told him in advance that before I can pay, that I need to sell some of my own books in order to generate enough funds in my PayPal account to pay for the books I was buying. I've had buyers e-mail me asking if they can wait until their own sales have come in too. I think this is very common. It can certainly lead to trouble though when somewhere in the chain of payments somebody flakes out.

I just got a money order in the mail today for a auction that ended 3/25.

It was from Canada though so maybe the slow mails are an excuse.

I'm waiting for two other money orders from about the same auction ending time give or take two days.

tongue.gif

All are cheap items ranging fro $1.49 to $8.00.

What the heck takes so long on cheapo stuff?

confused.gif

I'm waiting for two other money orders from about the same auction ending time give or take two days.

tongue.gif

confused.gif

That's true. The person that won 3 of my auctions for over $200, paid before I could send him an invoice.

tongue.gif

confused.gif

That's true. The person that won 3 of my auctions for over $200, paid before I could send him an invoice.

Same here, BY FAR my best buyers are the ones that buy my higher end ($50 and up) books. It's those $5 and $10 purchases that seem to take forever. And I'll say one thing for sure, my fastest payers are those that buy my CGC graded books.