• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best and worst of the Overstreet advisors...

53 posts in this topic

best- harley yee. can grade raw, nice catalogue, does all the shows, does ebay, needs a better website.

worst- bob beerbohm. just a godawful experience. can't grade. had to go to great lengths to get $ back.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Beerhbohm, the worst grader out there. Needs to lay off the weed while grading.

Everytime I hear his name, I think of Jack Black in "Saving Silverman".

"Beer bong for the lady?"

silverman_21.jpg

I'd give Doug Sulipa his props - his market report is thorough, comprehensive and leaves nothing out. Very informative, even for this old lag who has read it all before........

I repeatedly hear the same thing, he definitely has a good reputation. He does have the WORST web site I have ever seen for comics. I think it is dougscomics.com or something similar.

popcorn.gif

I am both the best and the worst advisor equally that's why I have the boys help me out.

I think Doug Sulipa is the Canadian Elvis of Comic Books and also very informative well ahead of the curve.

Sorry to lose Patrick Marchbanks

Glad to see the HCA staff because we love them

Harley a true gentleman - sends commision checks on finds every time, always a pleasure to deal with without fail in every professional capacity.

I like Ted Vanliew's advertising better than advisor photo - wait - it IS him!

Are we rating the photos or the business acumen or market reports?

stooges.gif

I have to go to beddy bye now, but I have to say Dave Sincere, Sincere Comics, Mobile Alabama and longtime Advisor is the worst of the bunch. Total Jerk in his buisness ethics, grading, demeanor and pricing. Put himself out of buisness this past year after being a big boy down here in the South, and I've yet to meet anyone in Florida, MS, LA, or Texas who misses him.

popcorn.gif

Well the short version is I've yet to meet ANYONE from all the comic stores I've visited in all of the Southern States I mentioned, dealer/owner or collector/buyer who even kinda like the guy. ANYONE. I've heard more stories about Sincere than any other dealer ever. And that includes taking pot shots at the big dogs.

My personal story is actually kind of funny but would take way too long to tell. The short version is as follows:

He obviously needed to sell some big books, because the hard sell was in play. His SA non-keys on the wall were all double guide in low/mid grade, so right away that's a joke. He told me he had a #94 and a #181 so I said I would look at them. He brought them out, and the 94 was just [#@$%!!!]. Probably a VG- (3.0) for all the spine creases and the major abrasion to the FC. I told him I wasn't interested at any price, and he kept trying to get me to make an offer. Here was his tag line, and I'm paraphrasing. "Geezuz. Ever since ebay came out, every punk thinks he can grade a book, and no one wants to barter anymore. Doesn't anyone enjoy the barter system anymore? I throw out a price. He throws out a price, we agree on a price." Now, seeing as how he was only talking to me, I didn't see the point in the impersonal third person, but I also took offense because I had twenty years experience in bartering, and only 2 in ebay. The fact of the matter was I didn't want his book at any price. I told him that. He again said, "Make me an offer" and I tried to discuss grade (something that should always be established first, as far as I am concerened) and he wouldn't hear it. He absolutely refused to discuss the grade. He just wanted a price. So I told him I wasn't interested.

But I did want to look at the 181. Looked at it, saw that it was about a FN 6.0 but qualified, without the infamous missing stamp. Well, I really didn't want to buy the thing then, so I again low balled him. He rolled his eyes, and acted as if I had slapped his firstborn, to which I replied, "C'mon, Dave. Are you no longer enjoying the bartering?"

Steve Barrington, longtime OS advisor and Mobile dealer, took the high road by mentioning that a "local dealer" had closed his store and left it at that. Trust me, Steve probably wet himself as he typed that sentence. Dave Sincere has left the scene, and has gone unwept, unloved, you get the idea. He was a crook, a liar, and had the people skills of a suicide bomber, which is to say he would smile and shake your hand, but that's not neccessarily a compliment.

I have to totally agree about your comments about Dave Sincere. He was up at the first Wizard World Philly and the guy was one of the absolute worst graders with a terrible personality and pricing structure to boot.

I looked at his books as well at one time and also got the, "please, please make me an offer"... which of course, the books were such garbage, I didn't bother.

The guy went the way of the dinosaurs because he was not a good dealer or a good business person. I doubt there are many people who miss him.