• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 SDCC Report

372 posts in this topic

Ok, best story of the whole trip... I'm in line for Dan Clowes, one of my heroes of comics, and I post it on Facebook. Steve, aka 143ksk, our own Archie expert here on the forum, messages me: "Tell Dan I said Hi! I went to high school with him".

I figured ok, cool, there's something to bring up and break the ice.. but, you know how that usually goes - the person looks at you like 'who???"

Not this time.

Dan says "Steve (last name withheld)? I not only went to high school with him, but grade school too! He's GREAT guy. We used to make comics together. I discovered underground comics from his dad's collection. My SON is about the same age as I was when he was my friend, and I WISH my son had a friend who was as good a friend as Steve (last name withheld) was."

WOW!

IMG_1391_zpsbewbsmw7.jpg

THEN... we're passing by the Heavy Metal booth and who do we see but Grant Morrison! Only 20 people in line, it seemed like an impromptu signing, so we jumped right in.

Me: Grant! Love your work, man! Ya know, one of my favorites still is that Vertigo one shot 'Kill Your Boyfriend', you did with Phillip Bond.

Grant: Oh yeah, oh yeah.

Me: I love Phillip's stuff, too. You need to give him some more work!

Grant: What's he doing these days?

Me: Besides selling me original art, not enough. that's what I'm saying.. give him a call!

Grant: (chuckling) Ok.ok.

IMG_1398_zpsapjtrwzv.jpg

IMG_1400_zpsphopcjvz.jpg