• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

copper comics worth slabbing?

12 posts in this topic

alright, i'm a little bored and i was trying to think of comics from the period between 1989 and 1993 that are worth slabbing.

it was during this time(middle school for me) that i first started taking care of the comics i purchased. it was a short lived time, as i quickly became overwhelmed with the number of titles that sucked and eventually left the hobby altogether. i returned about three years ago and during this time have begun to put together a nice high grade collection. however, i have avoided anything post-1982 or so (with a few minor exceptions).

but considering i have like 10 long boxes that have been sitting in my parents basebment for over ten years filled with early 90's dreck i was wondering if there was anything of value hiding amongst my youngblood and 2099 runs.

to start off the convo, here are a few books i know that i have:

-pink harbinger #0

-platinum spider-man #1

-uxm 248, 266, 268 (i always loved that cover)

ASM 300

TMNT 1 (1st print)

Albedo 2

Miracleman 1 Gold Variant (though it will come back green label, cause they can't authenticate the signature on probably one of the top 3 Copper books out there) frustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

Miracleman 1 Gold Variant (though it will come back green label, cause they can't authenticate the signature on probably one of the top 3 Copper books out there) frustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

Good point jbud, but are there any gold variants out there without sigs or is it known that each and every one was signed?

Go through the Overstreet and pick out the key issues like Uncanny X-Men 266 and stuff like that, then go through wizard and see which ones have had sales on CGC 9.4 copies. Weed out the ones with no activity. Then go to GPanalysis.com and check that out, you may have to pay some loot. Weed out the ones with no activity from there. Then go to Comics Buyer's Guide, and see what is listed for the CGC 9.4 or better, weed accordingly. Of the 20 or so issues you end up with, call CGC and ask to arrange a prescreen of 9.4 or better and send them your books. Everything else you might consider donating to www.comics4kids.org

Take Care and GOOD luck!

If you want to email me a list of your comics I could suggest what to consider slabbing in any event.

thumbsup2.gif

Also meant to add that you could check out the CGC census for issues you pull out, and keep in mind the info may be a little outdated. You might consider checking ebay completed auctions for some of the books too.

Good point jbud, but are there any gold variants out there without sigs or is it known that each and every one was signed?

To my knowledge everyone was signed and came with a COA. There are only 400 of them so, its not like it would be that hard to authenticate this book.

Not sure but perhaps the initial black costume Spider-Man's?

ASM 252 and Secret Wars 8 (??)

1st Hobgoblin?

These may have been hotter in the 90 's...I really only collect Bronze now though I have alot of good memories of 80 's stuff I enjoyed.

[ Layton Iron Man, Micronauts, Dreadstar, ROM !!! ]

The main thing is the fairly large quantity of available nice grades, particularly of this "Age" and up.

My experience as a kid from ages 12-18 in 1979-1985 was the beginning of the comic book store and an increased awareness of (and access to) preservation.

From then on I imagine most collectors began taking much greater care of their stuff.

One way to determine what might be "slabbable" is to see what is being slabbed.

Here are the 1984-1992 books which have already been slabbed at least 250 times.

(As of 2/9/2005)

Amazing Spider-Man 300 (2099 submissions)

Wolverine 1 (1990 submissions)

Spawn 1 (1548 submissions)

Spider-Man 1 Silver Edition (1438 submissions)

Amazing Spider-Man 252 (1361 submissions)

Uncanny X-Men 266 (1128 submissions)

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars 8 (1108 submissions)

Web of Spider-Man 1 (1052 submissions)

Spider-Man 1 (914 submissions)

Amazing Spider-Man 298 (863 submissions)

Incredible Hulk 340 (814 submissions)

Wolverine 10 (803 submissions)

Amazing Spider-Man 299 (554 submissions)

X-Men 1 Special Collectors Edition (460 submissions)

Amazing Spider-Man 361 (421 submissions)

X-Men 1 (405 submissions)

Batman: The Killing Joke nn (362 submissions)

Amazing Spider-Man 328 (357 submissions)

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns 1 (354 submissions)

Crisis on Infinite Earths 1 (343 submissions)

Spider-Man 1 Gold Edition (342 submissions)

Uncanny X-Men 248 (337 submissions)

Uncanny X-Men 213 (325 submissions)

New Mutants 87 (319 submissions)

Spider-Man 1 Platinum Edition (318 submissions)

Uncanny X-Men 211 (296 submissions)

Crisis on Infinite Earths 7 (280 submissions)

Amazing Spider-Man 312 (280 submissions)

Batman 404 (271 submissions)

Punisher 1 (271 submissions)

Wolverine 2 (271 submissions)

Uncanny X-Men 244 (266 submissions)

Uncanny X-Men 212 (253 submissions)

Obviously, some of these books (like Spawn #1 or X-Men #1)

are probably no longer 'profitable' (if they ever were) versus their

ungraded counterparts, except at extremely high grades (9.9 or 10).

Almost all of these books are from either Marvel or D.C.,

so the list would be different if we specifically targeted the other publishers.

1984-1992 books (non-Marvel, non-D.C.) which have already been slabbed at least 75 times.

(As of 2/9/2005)

Spawn 1 (1548 submissions)

Spawn 4 (211 submissions)

Magnus Robot Fighter 1 (193 submissions)

Spawn 2 (191 submissions)

Miracleman 15 (165 submissions)

Harbinger 0 Pink Variant (158 submissions)

Miracleman 1 (147 submissions)

Solar, Man of the Atom 1 (146 submissions)

Rai 0 (138 submissions)

Spawn 3 (137 submissions)

X-O Manowar 1 (136 submissions)

Harbinger 1 (127 submissions)

Rai 1 (119 submissions)

Solar, Man of the Atom 10 (102 submissions)

Baseball's Greatest Heroes 1 (96 submissions)

Magnus Robot Fighter 12 (95 submissions)

Shadowman 1 (87 submissions)

Rai 4 (79 submissions)

Rai 3 (75 submissions)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 (75 submissions)

Hopefully, these lists will help for Copper Age...