• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales to Astonish Appreciation Thread
1 1

1,446 posts in this topic

My first TTA purchase in a couple years.

TalesToAstonish356_5.jpg

That looks like Roy's old copy. Nice book. I was considering it myself.

Thanks, it is Roy's old copy. Good eye. (thumbs u

Sharp copy! :applause:

That is a really great copy.

Side note, I swear the smudging in and by "The Return of the Ant-Man" word box is present on most copies of this book. Any thoughts or opinions on that?

Thanks fellas. :foryou:

I also posted this in "What's New in Your Silver Age Collection?" but thought it would also be a good bump for this thread.

Tales to Astonish #39 • January 1963 • October 1962 newsstand

The fourth costumed Ant-Man adventure and one of the wildest covers.

The Marvel Universe had yet to "expand" and this book, with its hero contemporaries, Fantastic Four #10, Journey into Mystery #87 and Strange Tales #104, was still pulling itself out of the "Monster Age".

TTA39FJan63.jpg

Marvel published twelve books in October 1962. Fantastic Four was the only full hero book. Tales to Astonish, Strange Tales and Journey into Mystery all had fantasy back-ups.

Tales of Suspense was still all fantasy. Iron Man was two months away.

Two westerns and five teen titles rounded off the month.

It also looks like Tony Stark makes his first uncredited appearance in this back-up by Don Heck. ;)

TonyStark.jpg

Love that cover, the Scarlet Beetle effin' rocks!! This was the first book I bought for my TTA hero run, now complete. How much more menacing is the SB with human eyes rather than the compound eyes of an insect?

Angry Talking Beetle...now that's a nightmare...come to think of it that'd be a great name for a new smart-phone game... :insane:

Was it one of you guys that beat me out for this beauty?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=130503662659&si=wTFFbxlO76%252BmWEOHXY%252BhUTwnFl0%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_667wt_907

I had to run to the pharmacy for my wife unexpectedly and completely forgot to up my tracking bid and someone got it for a steal! :censored:

Was it one of you guys that beat me out for this beauty?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=130503662659&si=wTFFbxlO76%252BmWEOHXY%252BhUTwnFl0%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_667wt_907

I had to run to the pharmacy for my wife unexpectedly and completely forgot to up my tracking bid and someone got it for a steal! :censored:

That's my buddy's Kevin M.s book...ouch... :sorry:

Yeah, i completely forgot about it! I put in a decent bid earlier but nothing close to what i thought it would go for and was planning on bidding in the last minute. I had to run out and completely forgot, didnt even look at it on my phone while i was out.

I definitely would have went at least a few hundred more than what it went for! That book was a freaking beauty and im a HUGE Ant-Man fan so i really would have liked to have snagged that baby.

He also had a 37 that went pretty cheap also i think but i wasnt planning on going after that one. I LOVE the cover to the 38 and that looked like a REALLY nice copy for a 9.2. SOOOOO bummed right now! :censored: