• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1:50 Price Command

43 posts in this topic

So I really been enjoying the Nova series and came across a 9.8 Nova (2013) #2 variant that is 1:50. It's a regular blue label and the buy it now is 350 (or best offer).

A regular Nova (2013) 9.8 #1 issue usually goes for around a 100 give or take 40 dollars.

Is 350 a fair price for such a modern book?

Does the 1:50 ratio makes it that much more expensive?

What would a good best offer be?

www.gpanalysis.com

Can you check for me, that's pay to play lol

I think you answered your own question.

lol well it was a joke, although I've seen gpa analysis screenshots on this forum. But what do you guys think about the 1:50, is it that rare to command such high prices, I mean out of a distribution of 500,000, that's still 10000 comics, which I believe is still not that uncommon.

Wow.

First... buy your own GPA. Seriously.

Second, that book didn't approach anything close to 500k units. That's Star Wars #1 or any book with a Loot Crate variant territory. If you're talking about the most recent volume of Nova, then it had a distribution of ~27k. Like 1/20th of what you said. So even disregarding the fallacy of 1:50 actually means you just divide distribution by 50 to get "print numbers", it would be like 540, not 10K

And the previous volume of Nova had a distribution of about 45k for #2.

It's this simple: it's more rare than the regular one... probably. But nobody knows by how much.

But to answer if it's worth $350, I would say no. But then again, I don't care about nova. There's nothing special about the book except for a different cover. It's not super sought after. But people can ask whatever they want. I wouldn't even pay 1/2 of that for a 1:50 of a book that I love, but I'm cheap.

Regardless of GPA, the real question is, are you willing to pay that price just to have it right now or would it significantly impact your decision to buy it if the last 12 month sales were below that amount? Are you willing to wait around some more to find another copy?

raw copies are being sold for a specific amount. Often you can get a good sense of GPA pricing by looking at how much the raw NM books are selling for vs the slabbed copies which tend to already have:

1. the ebay fees built into the price

2. the cost of grading/slabbing tacked onto the price

3. the guaranteed 9.8 convenience factored into the price.

4. the only listed copy available for sale premium built into the price

5. The JSC cover and 1:50 retailer incentive built into the price.

So with all that information, you need to decide is $350 a fair price to pay to get a copy of a book you want already in 9.8 today vs rolling the dice with raw copies & uncertain shipping vs waiting around for another week, month, 6 months to find another 9.8.

You should also find out how often these come up for sale and how many are on the census slabbed in 9.8. All might factor into how much you might be willing to pay.

My advice:

1. stop being a cheap and pay for GPA or Go Collect then decide

2. stop being a lazy and start looking stuff up then decide

3. Just buy the damned book and move on.

4. Don't buy the book and move on.

Wow.

First... buy your own GPA. Seriously.

Second, that book didn't approach anything close to 500k units. That's Star Wars #1 or any book with a Loot Crate variant territory. If you're talking about the most recent volume of Nova, then it had a distribution of ~27k. Like 1/20th of what you said. So even disregarding the fallacy of 1:50 actually means you just divide distribution by 50 to get "print numbers", it would be like 540, not 10K

And the previous volume of Nova had a distribution of about 45k for #2.

It's this simple: it's more rare than the regular one... probably. But nobody knows by how much.

But to answer if it's worth $350, I would say no. But then again, I don't care about nova. There's nothing special about the book except for a different cover. It's not super sought after. But people can ask whatever they want. I wouldn't even pay 1/2 of that for a 1:50 of a book that I love, but I'm cheap.

Thanks for that insightful answer. So according to Comichron, the 2013 Nova #2 distribution in N.A. by Diamond is 50,300.

So since it's a fallacy according to your reply to apply the 1:50 ratio to 50,300 to get an approximation, what expression would you use?

Lastly from experience are you recommending gpaanalysis?

Bonus: What is the book that you love... I'm curious!

www.gpanalysis.com

lol well it was a joke, although I've seen gpa analysis screenshots on this forum. But what do you guys think about the 1:50, is it that rare to command such high prices, I mean out of a distribution of 500,000, that's still 10000 comics, which I believe is still not that uncommon.

Where are you getting those numbers from...?

www.gpanalysis.com

Where are you getting those numbers from...?

Look at post above.

Thanks for that insightful answer. So according to Comichron, the 2013 Nova #2 distribution in N.A. by Diamond is 50,300.

So since it's a fallacy according to your reply to apply the 1:50 ratio to 50,300 to get an approximation, what expression would you use?

And why do you think the "1:50" ratio is applicable to the units sold in North America of the regular book? How, if at all, do those different numbers relate to each other?

From my understanding, with something like a 1:50 variant, the store has to order at least 50 copies to get one variant. If they don't think they can sell 50 copies, they won't bother and take a lesser allocation, not getting the variant. If true, the variant should be more rare than a pure 1:50 for a title like Nova.

From my understanding, with something like a 1:50 variant, the store has to order at least 50 copies to get one variant. If they don't think they can sell 50 copies, they won't bother and take a lesser allocation, not getting the variant. If true, the variant should be more rare than a pure 1:50 for a title like Nova.

Start here, for one of many on this topic.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9437733&fpart=1