• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1:50 Price Command

43 posts in this topic

To the OP: The short answers are: Yes, the Comichron figures represent distribution numbers and not print numbers.

Yes, the variant distribution numbers can therefore be reasonably divined from the numbers on Comichron once you balance the typical overages (see below), and larger shops that will get multiple copies with the fact that many shops will not order enough copies of a given book to qualify and many times books are damaged at press and/or during shipment.

No, the numbers on Comichron are not "print numbers".

No, publishers do not routinely over print or over order books from the printers that retailers have not ordered "just because".

Yes, they are generally required to order up to the nearest case (typically 150-250 copies per case), and they also usually order 10-15% overages to account for damages, courtesy copies , etc. They have also been known to "over print" for "event books".

But the latter is the exception , not the rule.

-J.

It's nice to see you accept some things you cannot change. Good for you!

Diamond typically orders 3% above orders for damages/shortages. Not 10-15% generally (thumbs u

:o

-J.

Some titles they will also order for stock , 3-5% for post release reorders

hm

Interesting. So if I'm reading you correctly (please let me know if I am not), the typical gap between a book's distribution number and print number is 3-5% max on a typical release.

-J.

No. Total copies printed /distributed is just that. It includes all orders (diamonds reserve as well)

The gap is between what stores order and what is distributed to diamond

To the OP: The short answers are: Yes, the Comichron figures represent distribution numbers and not print numbers.

Yes, the variant distribution numbers can therefore be reasonably divined from the numbers on Comichron once you balance the typical overages (see below), and larger shops that will get multiple copies with the fact that many shops will not order enough copies of a given book to qualify and many times books are damaged at press and/or during shipment.

No, the numbers on Comichron are not "print numbers".

No, publishers do not routinely over print or over order books from the printers that retailers have not ordered "just because".

Yes, they are generally required to order up to the nearest case (typically 150-250 copies per case), and they also usually order 10-15% overages to account for damages, courtesy copies , etc. They have also been known to "over print" for "event books".

But the latter is the exception , not the rule.

-J.

It's nice to see you accept some things you cannot change. Good for you!

Diamond typically orders 3% above orders for damages/shortages. Not 10-15% generally (thumbs u

:o

-J.

Some titles they will also order for stock , 3-5% for post release reorders

hm

Interesting. So if I'm reading you correctly (please let me know if I am not), the typical gap between a book's distribution number and print number is 3-5% max on a typical release.

-J.

No. Total copies printed /distributed is just that. It includes all orders (diamonds reserve as well)

The gap is between what stores order and what is distributed to diamond

Got it. (thumbs u

Thanks Gator.

-J.

Regardless of GPA, the real question is, are you willing to pay that price just to have it right now or would it significantly impact your decision to buy it if the last 12 month sales were below that amount? Are you willing to wait around some more to find another copy?

raw copies are being sold for a specific amount. Often you can get a good sense of GPA pricing by looking at how much the raw NM books are selling for vs the slabbed copies which tend to already have:

1. the ebay fees built into the price

2. the cost of grading/slabbing tacked onto the price

3. the guaranteed 9.8 convenience factored into the price.

4. the only listed copy available for sale premium built into the price

5. The JSC cover and 1:50 retailer incentive built into the price.

So with all that information, you need to decide is $350 a fair price to pay to get a copy of a book you want already in 9.8 today vs rolling the dice with raw copies & uncertain shipping vs waiting around for another week, month, 6 months to find another 9.8.

You should also find out how often these come up for sale and how many are on the census slabbed in 9.8. All might factor into how much you might be willing to pay.

My advice:

1. stop being a cheap and pay for GPA or Go Collect then decide

2. stop being a lazy and start looking stuff up then decide

3. Just buy the damned book and move on.

4. Don't buy the book and move on.

This post wasn't all that chipper, but it really gave the best advice.

If you are considering plunking down this kind of coin for comics, you really should *want* to research the market.What you should not be thinking about doing is looking to others for their opinions, you should look at the market and formulate your own opinion.

Otherwise, you're chasing your own tail.

Paying eleven bucks a month to (greatly) help you to understand the market should not be an issue.

I'll add that GPA is only a tool and sales on this book are limited, nothing recent.

Again, that means that you have to do more research.