• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman 28

18 posts in this topic

Here's a scan of Superman 28. Has anyone scanned a slabbed book? My Detective 167 came out too dark. Any suggestions? OOOPS, I just got a notice that I can't send my file because it is too big. What am I doing wrong?

As far as being dark, go ahead and post so we can get an idea. Some scanners do slabbed books better than others.

You can reduce scan size to a PC file that is 145kb or less (that's the limit for images hosted by this forum). Usually scanner or imaging software (e.g. Photoshop) will let you save your file as a jpg of lower quality and smaller size.

or you can follow instructions on this link:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...true#Post768282

You passed the test with flying colors, SLR5.

That's a great looking Church copy.

The Superman 28 is not the Church copy; the Detective 167, which I haven't yet scanned, is the MH copy. Though I agree that it is a great-looking book. I bought it from Metropolis comics in 2001 at the San Diego Con. I plan on submitting it to CGC this summer. I believe it's a 9.0 or an 8.5. I just submitted 5 books to CGC: the MH Detective 167, Superman Annual 2, Superman 67, Superman 146 and Green Lantern 76 (Bronze Age). So I have to save some bucks before I submit any more books. I would sure like to see any Supermans you may have or any other Golden or Siliver Age book. Thanks!

Thanks for the correction, SLR5. Your Supe 28 sure scans nice!

I've got a lot of books posted including quite a few Actions from the 50s. For whatever reason, I get more Action than Superman.

You can check out this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=770600&an=0&page=0#770600

or this one:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=721235&an=0&page=0#721235

That's a great looking copy of Detective 208. How long have you had that book? I also like your Strange Adventures. Those are great covers!

Thanks, SLR5. StrAdv is a long run and they are quite a few exceptional covers in it. As far as the Tec 208, I haven't had it long enough to get tired of looking at it!

Here's a couple Action from the 10 cent thread

786299-Action211.jpg

786299-Action211.jpg.01e3f5b0d4d81e369697b2a5e107102c.jpg

Steve, thats a great looking copy of Superman #28! I think you'll get better than 8.5 or 9.0 from CGC. They are pretty tough graders since you only got a 9.4 for the Edgar Church copy of Detective #167. Your copy of Superman #28 blows my copy away thats for sure! You got it from Metropolis at a pretty fair price. You can't beat their selection and I think their grading is fairly tight! The Superman #15 is the toughest to find in high grade and Metropolis had a copy in VF- for $1200 and too bad I didn't buy it at that price two months ago cause now its going for $2500! Terry's comics had the highest CGC graded copy of that book at 8.0 and they wanted $5,000 for it, quite alot considering it only guided at $1350 in VF at the time! It does have the distinction of being the highest graded CGC copy! I own the highest CGC graded copy of Superman #13 in 8.5, so either there are alot of high grade unslabbed books out there or it is scarce in high grade. Only time will tell! Erik

Terry's comics had the highest CGC graded copy of that book at 8.0 and they wanted $5,000 for it, quite alot considering it only guided at $1350 in VF at the time! It does have the distinction of being the highest graded CGC copy!

There's a 9.0 in the census.

If you look up Superman #15 in the census, two listings appear. Both are the March/April 1942 issue. The first listing(which I assume is old and should be deleted) shows 5 copies certified, the highest being 8.0.

The second listing, which I assume to be current because there are 8 total copies certified, lists a 9.0 restored copy. Strangely, the 8.0 doesn't appear in the second listing.

CGC should fix this.