• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Onsite grading, what do I need to know?

47 posts in this topic

OK, let’s see if I have this straight. I submit my NM98 and choose one of the tiers below:

Modern Tier (comics 1975–present, valued US $200 or less) — US $30

Economy Tier (comics valued US $300 or less) — US $55

Standard Tier (comics valued US $1,000 or less) — US $90

Express Tier (comics valued US $3,000 or less) — US $145

CGC grades the book and I pay. What I pay is not what tier I submit but rather what tier they determine the value of the book to be? It may or may not be the same Tier that I submit – it just depends on how they value it?

If the above is true, I have more questions:

Why do I even submit under a specific tier?

Some answers already; one more:

Any book you own that was created in 1975 or after goes into the Modern Tier.

Even if you believe your NM 98 is a 10.0 -- Modern Tier.

Pretty much the only exception I can think of is Walking Dead #1 - it gets thrown into the Standard tier by default.

For instance, you submit a Bone #1 under the modern tier and lists the value as $200 - it comes back as a blue label CGC 9.8 which gives it a FMV of around $3-4,000. Once you come to pick up the book, you'll most likely be presented with a note saying it's been bumped to the Standard or Express tier and you'll be charged the difference in grading fees before it's released to you.

I missed this ... what is a blue label? Surely a Bone #1 isn't worth $3-4K???

Blue label = universal label. And, yes, a Bone #1 in CGC 9.8 is worth around $3-4k.

You had a copy that was already signed, right? It would come back in Green (qualified) label due to the unverified signature and be worth a fair bit less.

Wow, didn't realize those had jumped so much. Yep, whodjthunkit that getting my copy signed would decrease the value. Then again, Jeff Smith was there for the launch of the comic so I may have not even picked it up otherwise. I need to dig these out (hoping I picked up a couple copies).

For instance, you submit a Bone #1 under the modern tier and lists the value as $200 - it comes back as a blue label CGC 9.8 which gives it a FMV of around $3-4,000. Once you come to pick up the book, you'll most likely be presented with a note saying it's been bumped to the Standard or Express tier and you'll be charged the difference in grading fees before it's released to you.

Blue label = universal label. And, yes, a Bone #1 in CGC 9.8 is worth around $3-4k.

You had a copy that was already signed, right? It would come back in Green (qualified) label due to the unverified signature and be worth a fair bit less.

Wow, didn't realize those had jumped so much. Yep, whodjthunkit that getting my copy signed would decrease the value. Then again, Jeff Smith was there for the launch of the comic so I may have not even picked it up otherwise. I need to dig these out (hoping I picked up a couple copies).

If you had him sign the inside of the comic you can get a Blue label.

If you had him sign the inside of the comic you can get a Blue label.

nope, on cover (unfortunately apparently)

Can you just have your books Reholdered? It's pretty expensive to have your books reholdered if you mail them in.

They don't do reholders onsite - they'll take the books, but they go back to Florida and get mailed back to you (and you pay the normal return shipping prices).

Thanks for the info..At least you will save the shipping getting the books to CGC.