• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pride or Shame...or can I start my first Friday thread.

30 posts in this topic

So. I just got two subs back. Mostly books that had never been graded before...all from the same series. This doesn't even include the handful of slabs from the series I already have. Should I feel proud or embarrassed?

This shouldn't be simply about me, as I am thoroughly embarrassed by myself every day (yes, I am talking to you greggy).

IMG_0743_zps0v4a6lle.jpg

"They say the number one killer of old people is retirement. People got 'em a job to do, they tend to live a little longer so they can do it. I've always figured warriors and their enemies share the same relationship. So, now you ain't gonna hafta face your enemy on the battlefield no more, which "R" are you filled with: Relief or Regret?"

"A little bit of both."

"wildly_fanciful_statement. I'm sure you do feel a little bit of both. But I know damn well you feel one more than you feel the other. The question was, which one?"

"Regret."

I'm more surprised that this series had an issue #2.

There's a half dozen copies of #1 in every collection I ever find but I have never seen the rest. Until today I thought it was a one shot.

At least this submission was better grades than your last submission, post some of those grades and see if the poll will look the same Wesley. :baiting:

JJ

I voted "pride". That's a pretty righteous run. :applause:

I'm curious, were you specifically picking out high-grade raw copies from various sources until you felt you had all 9.8's or did this just all come from one straight lot that were all in this condition?

I voted "pride". That's a pretty righteous run. :applause:

I'm curious, were you specifically picking out high-grade raw copies from various sources until you felt you had all 9.8's or did this just all come from one straight lot that were all in this condition?

Most of this submission was from a full run, advertised as NM/MT, purchased off eBay. :blush:

I already had a handful of 9.8s from my OO collection and a few picked up here and there. JJ was right, after issue #1, I have found these to be difficult to find in high grade after issue #1. Even with Baxter paper, few have aged well even from the mid 80s.

I even bought a handful from Gator's store when I was there a few weeks ago, but ended up getting a 9.8 in each one that I found.

and JJ...Pollard art is ALWAYS worth a second issue! :makepoint:

Pride.

Pollard is a nice guy and good artist. I like how he signs books too. He makes his signature blend in with the background as if it was the printed signature to the cover art. After he signed some books for me I showed my wife and asked if she could tell which one was in ink and which one was printed. She went 1 for 2.