• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee signature - worth the ink?

62 posts in this topic

Hi boardies

Just wondering if it worth getting keys signed by Stan Lee. I know he he has signed so much that his signatures put together side by side can circle the globe. So with that said is it worth getting Stan to sign my ASM 129 (should grade 9.4-9.6) or not? Would there be any additional value after death? I wish him no ill but he is 93. Appreciate anyone insight and feedback

Thanks

Uou want a stan sig on a key.

Are you kidding me?

Considering he's signed so much, there is no shortage to a signed Stan Lee comic book, let alone a Signature Series one. Just look at all the pictures on these boards people can post. We're flogging a dead horse.

At this time, I don't think it adds any premium to any book other than maybe the extra $100 you paid for his signature. So a $1000 comic + a $100 Stan Lee = $1100.

Now, when he passes is it going to skyrocket. No. Again, there are sooooo many books out there right now with his ink.

Do it because you like to own it, not because it will turn into paper gold in a few years. It ain't.

(But if it were me, I would not have him sign a comic, let alone a valuable one).

I'd like to share what my friend and the owner of my LCS told me about the whole "Meeting Stan Lee to get a signature" experience in Dallas. He said it was truly a nightmare and he'd never do it again.

He brought his AF15--his grail--to get it signed. In line, the guys running the show instructed everyone that they may have ONE item signed, unless they had paid for more. They must have the item ready as the reach the table (not Stan himself, just the table), and then hand the item to the assistant. They may not speak to Stan. They may not ask him questions. They may not pose for photos with him. Hand the item to the assistant, wait silently for it to be passed to Stan and signed, and then receive it back and move on.

When he got to the table, he gently held the AF15 toward the assistant, who snatched it with two hands at both corners. My friend balked and tried to retain a grip on the comic, thinking perhaps the assistant had not realized how precious a book he was seizing. The assistant pulled back and said, "Do NOT get into a tug-of-war with me, because you will lose. I WILL rip your book." My friend released the book and did the "Okay, okay!" pose with his hands. The book was slid across the table to Stan, who scrawled on it, slid it on, and it was picked up by the next assistant and handed back.

So consider the risk to the book itself. A signature from Stan is cool, BUT it doesn't actually count as "meeting Stan Lee" when you're told to not speak to him at all (and Stan didn't look up, he just kept signing assembly-line style), and the assistants are so haphazard with books that the risk of deterioration might even outweigh the benefit of the signature.

Considering Stan Lee's contribution to this hobby being priceless and the fact that he's in his early 90's, personally I think the going rate for meeting him and getting his autograph/sig is a pittance...but I think maybe our reasons for obtaining such a treasure may differ

I was thinking of pulling the trigger on the Hulk 2 signed by Stan in the heritage auction this afternoon but this thread and seeing that I already had five books signed caused me to drop out.

Patiently waiting on the artwork though...

Some books are just hard to find a good placement for a signature. I got a Hulk 2 (3.0) signed by Stan, had him sign the back of the toadie working the control panel.

I'd like to share what my friend and the owner of my LCS told me about the whole "Meeting Stan Lee to get a signature" experience in Dallas. He said it was truly a nightmare and he'd never do it again.

He brought his AF15--his grail--to get it signed. In line, the guys running the show instructed everyone that they may have ONE item signed, unless they had paid for more. They must have the item ready as the reach the table (not Stan himself, just the table), and then hand the item to the assistant. They may not speak to Stan. They may not ask him questions. They may not pose for photos with him. Hand the item to the assistant, wait silently for it to be passed to Stan and signed, and then receive it back and move on.

When he got to the table, he gently held the AF15 toward the assistant, who snatched it with two hands at both corners. My friend balked and tried to retain a grip on the comic, thinking perhaps the assistant had not realized how precious a book he was seizing. The assistant pulled back and said, "Do NOT get into a tug-of-war with me, because you will lose. I WILL rip your book." My friend released the book and did the "Okay, okay!" pose with his hands. The book was slid across the table to Stan, who scrawled on it, slid it on, and it was picked up by the next assistant and handed back.

So consider the risk to the book itself. A signature from Stan is cool, BUT it doesn't actually count as "meeting Stan Lee" when you're told to not speak to him at all (and Stan didn't look up, he just kept signing assembly-line style), and the assistants are so haphazard with books that the risk of deterioration might even outweigh the benefit of the signature.

Oh it's definitely a treadmill. His handlers are a touchy bunch. They wouldn't even let people in line 50 people deep take a picture. One guy tried, they yelled at him, threatened he would be kicked out of line, and somebody held up a note pad blocking the cell phone takers view of Stan. I don't understand the impersonal aspect of it. It wasn't like that 5 years ago.

ridiculous....he should stop with the assembly line $100/each approach and sign a few for young people, make their day, and enjoy himself.

The value of the signature itself will never carry financial weight beyond, perhaps, the $100 it cost. Even 30 years from now (okay, 75 years from now.......30 years from now, he'll probably still be signing). Sentimental value? sure! Coolness value? yeah! But investment value? nupe.

you hear the stories of the assembly lines methods used for Stan Lee signatures and still the people line up for them. I don't understand the desire to be treated like cattle. The whole experience seems so fake. This would seem to be common knowledge (how it "operates") - yet they still line up in droves.

And these handlers sounds like real

Paying for the chance to be treated like garbage? pass

Wow!!! That's it. With all I have heard not worth the risks

w

when i read such a story i think stan lee = garbage

w

when i read such a story i think stan lee = garbage

At his age do you think he knows everything going on around him? I think at this point he's just a puppet doing what people tell him to do.

When I met him he was an incredibly nice man,even told me a story.how Spidey came to be.

He is the Elvis Presley of comics, so in that sense I say go get your autograph, meet him,it might be your last chance. However I would consider something other than your ASM 129. I do have several comics that are signed by my favorite artists, but they are not encapsulated. Mignola, Romita jr, Wrightson, etc. They are for me, and not for sale.

I love the few books I have Stan's signature on. Yes he signs everything put in front of him but his influence to comics and ultimately my love for them is huge and having his signature on a few low grade keys makes me very happy.

29F533AB-E2C3-4C0C-BB71-B5469709F723_zpswalo1s4r.jpg

F094E84D-E2ED-46E4-A6EC-8A9E5E3790D8_zpsjs9bfjv7.jpeg

16059F5C-7667-4F36-BCC9-C4FF3B26A10F_zpsgexu3xqo.jpeg

As others have said, don't use the "Stan Lee experience" as a reason to have him sign your book. His people are notoriously difficult to deal with, whether you stand in line for 3 days or send your stuff through a facilitator. Either way, PRE-PREP any book you want him to sign! Backers back and front, bagged, with only the section of the book that you want signed to be showing. Mitigate the risk of mishandling and horrible signature placement.

To answer your original question - ASM 129? No. Silver Age Spidey (or any other title he wrote)? Yes.

In my bright eyed early signature days, I remember having those "wow, Stan Lee!" thoughts, and I've wound up with a few Wolverine issues with his signature. At the time I thought it was neat, but now...man, I need to replace those with Chris Claremont...

The only Stan sig worth anything to me is on the inside of my TTA 27 first page. When signatures becomes easy to acquire and a commodity, it no longer holds interest to me.

Didn't CGC have rules/criteria surrounding what books could be signed? Pretty sure they wouldn't allow DC books to be signed by Stan at the inception of the SS program..... hm

They've always had an allowance for Stan Lee - he's allowed to sign anything he wants.

I may be in the minority with this thinking, but I think any book that has a character he helped create is cool for a sig. I mean, without his involvement, the character wouldn't be there. I have an Uncanny #281 that he signed that he didn't write, but Obviously Jean is right there on the cover. It's one of my favorite books. Also, to add, Stan is an incredibly nice man. I've chatted with him several times over the years. It's kind of a shame that his handlers have it set up the way they do at shows these days, but there are just so many people that want a piece of him. The guy is old. The fact that he's still been doing this stuff for the past several years is pretty incredible, and he can barely even see these days. I understand that without some guidelines in place it could easily turn into a circus, but the people he has working for him should be nicer, and try to make the experience more fan friendly. I've not done the whole wait in line to meet him thing since I was blessed with the opportunity to talk with him outside of that situation a few times, but I do wish it wasn't something that would leave people feeling unhappy. I will say this, If you bring a pretty girl with you the man will give you a little more attention. The last time I talked to him, he asked my girlfriend a million questions, and I was just kind of like "OK, Stan, I get it. My girlfriend has on short shorts and you love it. I nicknamed him Stan "the hands" Lee, and I swear he grazed the butt a bit when he hugged her goodbye. I couldn't do much, but laugh about it, and he chuckled when I told him of his new nickname that I'd thought up.