• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SUPERMAN #1 SALE?

205 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone read the Superman #1 article in the 3/18 Scoop. Has anyone heard anything about the 8.0 restored sale? It seems pretty unlikely as several have had trouble hitting reserve on E-bay for 1/2 of that price. Also, where does the graded copy info come from? I'm not seeing this book as highest graded in the census

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=8033&si=121

Just curious if anyone read the Superman #1 article in the 3/18 Scoop. Has anyone heard anything about the 8.0 restored sale? It seems pretty unlikely as several have had trouble hitting reserve on E-bay for 1/2 of that price. Also, where does the graded copy info come from? I'm not seeing this book as highest graded in the census

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=8033&si=121

As noted in the article the book is tied as the highest graded copy with Moderate Professional restoration. Here is the link to the CGC Census for restored copies.

It is interesting that the Superman #1 restored copies less than Fine tend to go for less than $10,000. Anyone else think that is low especially when a poor goes for $4000 and an unrestored Good goes for $15,000. Granted this was in 2003 at the height of the PLOD feeling for Golden Age but not much has changed just yet.

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auc...Amount&ord=DESC

Sign in requred to heritage past auctions.

actually, Superman is rarer in high grades. That 7.5 is supposed to be the second best unrestored copy, or third best if you consider the MH to be unrestored, now that its restoration has been removed. Ther are at least 5 Action 1s that have or will grade out at 7.5 or better.

I am aware of the census. However, the article clearly states this is the highest restored copy, of which it is not. Also, could you please share some of the details of the sale?

the mile high does have restoration,this is well known within the comics circles

Stephen Fishler said it didn't have any color touch, so whose circle is wrong?

Both are right? The book definitely DID have some work done to it, work that has since been removed, paving the way for the coveted blue label status. I'd ask Bechara about the extent of the work, but I'm already planning on pestering him about the Nostalgic family of sites coming on-line when I see him this coming Sunday, so I don't want to overload him (I think he sees me still as this fifteen year old kid, so I don't know how much patience he has for me 27_laughing.gif)...

the mile high does have restoration,this is well known within the comics circles

Stephen Fishler said it didn't have any color touch, so whose circle is wrong?

Both are right? The book definitely DID have some work done to it, work that has since been removed, paving the way for the coveted blue label status. I'd ask Bechara about the extent of the work, but I'm already planning on pestering him about the Nostalgic family of sites coming on-line when I see him this coming Sunday, so I don't want to overload him (I think he sees me still as this fifteen year old kid, so I don't know how much patience he has for me 27_laughing.gif)...

foreheadslap.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

I thought we were talking about the MH Action #1, not the MH Supes #1. The Fishler quote is about the MH Action #1.

Ignore me, for I am stupid. sorry.gif

yes we are talking about the mile high superman # 1.....

EVEN IF THE RESTO WAS REMOVED FROM THE MILE SUPERMAN # 1..

i think it should be said on the blue lable that the resto was removed!

I MEAN,WOULDNT YOU WANT TO KNOW THAT WORK HAD BEEN DONE TO IT..WETHER IT GETS A BLUE OR PLOD,,,,,,,NOTHING CAN TAKE AWAY FROM THE FAC T THAT work has been done to it!! and it should be noted on that blue lable..anyone agree???its not worth the same as a virgin sups 1 that has never been touch......,blue lable,sub captioned,,resto removed...cant list it as virgin,

the buyer has the right to know the resto was removed..it should be noted

yes we are talking about the mile high superman # 1.....

EVEN IF THE RESTO WAS REMOVED FROM THE MILE SUPERMAN # 1..

i think it should be said on the blue lable that the resto was removed!

I MEAN,WOULDNT YOU WANT TO KNOW THAT WORK HAD BEEN DONE TO IT..WETHER IT GETS A BLUE OR PLOD,,,,,,,NOTHING CAN TAKE AWAY FROM THE FAC T THAT work has been done to it!! and it should be noted on that blue lable..anyone agree???its not worth the same as a virgin sups 1 that has never been touch......,blue lable,sub captioned,,resto removed...cant list it as virgin,

the buyer has the right to know the resto was removed..it should be noted

As long as the apparent damage from the removal of the prior restoration is factored into the grade, I couldn't care less.

If the book was slightly restored and all of the restoration is completely removed, it's no longer a restored book. It is irrelevant that it used to be restored, because all of the work has been removed and the book is no longer a higher "apparent" grade from what it was before. It is an unrestored book with defects.

Besides, how is CGC supposed to know that restoration was removed if it's entirely gone? Are they supposed to guess whether every abrasion is from regular wear or from restoration removal?

I think this "once a restored book, ALWAYS a restored book" viewpoint is borne out of an irrational fear and hatred of restoration. (No offense meant to you personally.) Restoration isn't the scarlet letter. If it can be safely and completely reversed (reversibility is one of the guiding principles of professional conservation, although things like cleaning cannot be "reversed"), then there is nothing to worry about from the standpoint of the owner.

there is no way that there are 5 action 1s that are 7.5 or higher in TOTALLY UNRESTORED CONDITION!...IM WRITING TOTALLY UNRESTORED BECAUSE I CONSIDER THE SLIGHTEST OF GLUE OR COLOR TOUCH[RESTORATION..

oh yea,,you will get your blue lables,but they will say slight this and slight that..

you will never get 5 action 1s TOTALLY unrestored with no captions..the totally unrestored action 1 is the true rarity..even the cgc census,,the top 2 action 1s have captions,,,,the 8.5 has the caption[rusted staples]]the 7.5 has slight resto]\the 6.5 is the hihest grade with no captions at all and totally unrestored...cgc 6.5 off white pages..that all it says..you mark my words,,when those 8.5s and 9.0s action 1s ungraded as of yet come out of the wood work youll get your blue lables but most if not all, of em will have sub captions,,slight this or that,rusted this..but totally unrestored with no captions over 7.5,,no way theres 5 of em..time will prove me out..

remember when these high grade action ones were last seen 10,or 20 years ago,resto was not an issue at all.....it wasnt important[not like today,,so those small resto flecks were overlooked as not deterring the value..they werent noticed than,,thus there legendary status,,they will not stand up to todays deserning eye for resto....

While I agree that it may not be incumbent upon CGC to disclose that restoration had been removed (and I have no idea whether it's possible to detect this), it still comes down to whether the seller should make full disclosure about the book's history.

i know that of the 28 known copies of action 1 on the cgc census,,about 18 of them are blue lable and 10 are plod...but did you know that a 3rd of the blue lable action 1s have at least some degree of resto on them or at least a sub caption..

i challange you to find me an action 1 above 6.5 blue lable that has no resto AT ALL,,and no sub caption..or one that simply says

ACTION COMICS # 1 cgc 7.0

off white pages

aint gonna happen

TOTALLY unrestored virgin,,no resto removed,,now thats gonna be RARE,,youll see..

i know that of the 28 known copies of action 1 on the cgc census,,about 18 of them are blue lable and 10 are plod...but did you know that a 3rd of the blue lable action 1s have at least some degree of resto on them or at least a sub caption..

What is your basis for this assertion?

Are you referring to CGC's designation on the label that a minor amount of color touch or glue exists on the book yet in their discretion the book was nonetheless given a blue label?

Or are you insinuating that CGC overlooked, either intentionally or negligently, restoration on 6/18 Action #1s and improperly assigned them blue labels?