• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SUPERMAN #1 SALE?

205 posts in this topic

you know that church adventure 40 in that plod at 9.2 did not reach the reserve of only 75k at the time,,amazing what the color purple can do to the value of a book,now thats a real black and blue,to quote another color

that adventure 40 has a very small amount of glue and color touch on the spine of the cover only...i do think that it was in a blue lable once before this..

it does sound like a candidate for a resto reversal i must admit,,did you know cage owned this book?

YOU KNOW I WAS AN ORIGINAL BIDDER FOR THAT BOOK BACK THAN BUT HELD OUT FOR THE MILE HIGH GREEN HORNET NUMBER 1 WHICH WAS A BLUE LABLE 9.2..I WON THAT BOOK,THE SALE AND PICTURE ARE IN LAST YEARS OVERSTREET,YEP, THAT WAS ME

YOU KNOW THERE IS ANOTHER BOOK THAT JUST MIGHT MAKE YOUR LIST OF 100K,,MARK WILSONS COPY OF THE HUMAN TORCH #2[REALLY THE NUMBER 1]IT IS A CGC 9.4 TOTALLY UNRESTORED,,THAT JUST MIGHT HAVE THE LEGS TO MAKE YOUR LIST?? WHAT DO YOU THINK,,YOU CAN SEE IT AT PGC.COM..ITS BEEN LISTED A LONG TIME BECAUSE WHEN YOU SEE THE PRICE YOU WILL KNOW WHY

YOU KNOW THERE IS ANOTHER BOOK THAT JUST MIGHT MAKE YOUR LIST OF 100K,,MARK WILSONS COPY OF THE HUMAN TORCH #2[REALLY THE NUMBER 1]IT IS A CGC 9.4 TOTALLY UNRESTORED,,THAT JUST MIGHT HAVE THE LEGS TO MAKE YOUR LIST?? WHAT DO YOU THINK,,YOU CAN SEE IT AT PGC.COM..ITS BEEN LISTED A LONG TIME BECAUSE WHEN YOU SEE THE PRICE YOU WILL KNOW WHY

I've actually been wrestling with that book's inclusion since I started the list since it sold at public auction recently for well less than the $100,000 figure ($70,000?.) Maybe Mark will move it and that will take the decision out of my hands...

And there is no Cootie Shot for a comic that has been restored. Once it's been restored, it's always got the filthy, demonic stench of restoration emanating from its very pages and no removal is ever going to change that.

Of course, I heard that handling restored comics is one way to transmit Ebola and the danger doesn't go away once the restoration has been removed. That's definitely something to consider.

See now Rob, you're just engaging in reverse snobbery on the whole restoration issue. Some of us don't like restoration (setting aside the de-restoration issue for the moment). It's just a personal preference, although there are some rational reasons behind it. If you want to depict us as irrational elitists, then so be it. But it's funny to hear this from you since you were the one always repeating the mantra of "What I've got is cool and what you've got sucks".

People always bring that up like it's supposed to forever exclude me from disagreeing with an opinion or responding to an opinion I disagree strongly with with a little bit (or even a lot) of sarcasm. Just because I tried to make that point (that every comic might be someone's favorite and it takes all kinds of collectors to make the hobby) to foster a little openness in that area doesn't mean that I operate in every facet of my life with a mantra of assigning equal value to all ideas.

That said, I was just goofing around here with this idea (culled from this thread) of books forever being "infected" and the overall negative visceral reaction some people have to restored books (which I do think is irrational.) Sorry if it bothered you that much.

As a side note, I guess I'm normally too diplomatic for my own good since people here always get bent out of shape when I use sarcasm. I make a snarky comment and all hell breaks loose. I'll skip the fun from now on.

Yeah, being hoisted on your own petard always sucks, doesn't it? poke2.gif

Look, the initial cootie comments were fine, and humorous, but it seemed like you jumped over into being really snide and condescending with your last comment, so I called you on it. And yes, you have created a high standard for yourself, which is why I was disappointed. flowerred.gif

Action1, STOP WITH THE ALLCAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're providing a lot of interesting input, but it's hard to make out what you're saying with all the shouting!

I've actually been wrestling with that book's inclusion since I started the list since it sold at public auction recently for well less than the $100,000 figure ($70,000?.) Maybe Mark will move it and that will take the decision out of my hands...

I don't think it's a $100K book. It was up for grabs by everybody at Heritage and went well below. Mark was positively glowing about getting it at such a low price. I bet he would let it go for less than $100K, given how long it's sat on his site and the mark-up he would still make from it (this is pure conjecture on my part, I've not talked with him about his potential selling price).

Rob, I'd be interested in seeing your list of potential $100K books. Since it would include SAs, perhaps you could put it up in the General forum?

Tth2,

you can see Rob's list here at the link he posted earlier or you meant books like the HT 2 that Rob left out from his list but had considered to add?

blush.gif That's it, thanks! thumbsup2.gif

I was seeing too much red from FFB and his cronies ganging up against me to read clearly. Oh well, like Reggie White and Lawrence Taylor, I should be used to being constantly double- and triple-teamed by now, I guess. yeahok.gif

I don't think it's a $100K book. It was up for grabs by everybody at Heritage and went well below. Mark was positively glowing about getting it at such a low price. I bet he would let it go for less than $100K, given how long it's sat on his site and the mark-up he would still make from it (this is pure conjecture on my part, I've not talked with him about his potential selling price).

That's basically why, in the end, it's not included- it being up for grabs and falling well short (AND selling to a dealer.) I do think the price he paid was low, which is why I've given it some consideration. I just am not convinced it was $20-30,000 low.

Rob, I'd be interested in seeing your list of potential $100K books. Since it would include SAs, perhaps you could put it up in the General forum?

Here it is on my site. There are several Silver Age books. Mostly Marvels, but the 9.4 Showcase 4 is in there as well.

People always bring that up like it's supposed to forever exclude me from disagreeing with an opinion or responding to an opinion I disagree strongly with with a little bit (or even a lot) of sarcasm. Just because I tried to make that point (that every comic might be someone's favorite and it takes all kinds of collectors to make the hobby) to foster a little openness in that area doesn't mean that I operate in every facet of my life with a mantra of assigning equal value to all ideas.

That said, I was just goofing around here with this idea (culled from this thread) of books forever being "infected" and the overall negative visceral reaction some people have to restored books (which I do think is irrational.) Sorry if it bothered you that much.

As a side note, I guess I'm normally too diplomatic for my own good since people here always get bent out of shape when I use sarcasm. I make a snarky comment and all hell breaks loose. I'll skip the fun from now on.

Yeah, being hoisted on your own petard always sucks, doesn't it? poke2.gif

Why... yes. Yes it does.

Look, the initial cootie comments were fine, and humorous, but it seemed like you jumped over into being really snide and condescending with your last comment, so I called you on it.

I had the imagery and I ran with it. I obviously ran too far for my own good 893whatthe.gif

And yes, you have created a high standard for yourself, which is why I was disappointed. flowerred.gif

sorry.gif

That's basically why, in the end, it's not included- it being up for grabs and falling well short (AND selling to a dealer.)

Yeah, but Mark is willing to pay at the top end of retail, so his purchase prices often accurately reflect FMV, and not some sweetheart dealer wholesale price. It's why I dread seeing him win books on eBay or Heritage that I want, because it usually means he outbid me and to extract that book from him at some later date I'll have to pay a hefty premium over my current max.

Rob,

Just looked at your list. Isn't the PC 9.8 X-Men #1 the same as the PC 9.6 X-Men #1 that was listed on ComicLink and broke the $100K barrier?

Yes it is. I'm not sure why that sales data was left out. I might have dropped it when I re-entered in the book as a 9.8 or it may never have been included. I'll add it in during my next update.

Tth2,

you can see Rob's list here at the link he posted earlier or you meant books like the HT 2 that Rob left out from his list but had considered to add?

blush.gif That's it, thanks! thumbsup2.gif

I was seeing too much red from FFB and his cronies ganging up against me to read clearly. Oh well, like Reggie White and Lawrence Taylor, I should be used to being constantly double- and triple-teamed by now, I guess. yeahok.gif

tth2 -- a legend in his own mind. screwy.gif