• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SUPERMAN #1 SALE?

205 posts in this topic

that adventure 40 has a very small amount of glue and color touch on the spine of the cover only

This is absolutely incorrect.

There is colortouch throughout the cover of the book and if it was removed it would not grade a 9.0 or a 9.2 and this is why it was given a purple label instead of being a blue label like the More Fun #52.

If the color touch on this book was something that could have been removed and not affected the grade by more than a point or so I would have been bidding on it.

HELD OUT FOR THE MILE HIGH GREEN HORNET NUMBER 1 WHICH WAS A BLUE LABLE 9.2..

I used to own that book.

Actually had a hard time moving it and was pretty happy when Mark Wilson finally bought it off of me. Really cool cover though.

that adventure 40 has a very small amount of glue and color touch on the spine of the cover only

This is absolutely incorrect.

There is colortouch throughout the cover of the book and if it was removed it would not grade a 9.0 or a 9.2 and this is why it was given a purple label instead of being a blue label like the More Fun #52.

If the color touch on this book was something that could have been removed and not affected the grade by more than a point or so I would have been bidding on it.

Hey Zilla,

What is your view on resto removal? It would be interesting to hear the perspective of another person who buys the big books that were prone to getting minimal treatment that may or may not have been removed due to the advent of the purple label.

FFB....

IT SAYS RIGHT ON THE CGC LABEL adventure 40 slight color touch and glue on front cover only,,it says it right on the label,,im looking at the heritage catolog,...you i must respectivly say are INCORRECT...put that scan up,,no way am i wrong...

FFB....

IT SAYS RIGHT ON THE CGC LABEL adventure 40 slight color touch and glue on front cover only,,it says it right on the label,,im looking at the heritage catolog,...you i must respectivly say are INCORRECT...put that scan up,,no way am i wrong...

I never said a word about Adventure #40. You are thinking of someone else.

FFB....

By the way, I just looked at the scan on Heritage. It says that it has "very small amount of color touch, glue on the spine of cover."

It doesn't say where the color touch is. It just says that the glue is on the spine. I have no idea whether the color touch is just on the spine or all over the book. The notes could be interpreted either way.

Incidentally, that book was offered three times by Heritage, all three times with a purple label. So it doesn't look like it was ever in a blue label (to answer your other question from before).

thank you all for welcoming me to the board...im going to post some of my superman stuff on the boards tomorrow to intoduce myself..

tomorrow ill post a picture of the original costume worn by george reeves in the adventures of superman television series..this particular color costume is from the 1956,1957 season,,it is complete and all original,,sweat stains and all..

after which ill post christopher reeves complete costume from superman1..the movie..than ill throw dean canes costume at you[lois and clark..............

than to top off this segment,ill post a HIGH grade UNRESTORED copy of action comics #1...yes its mine,not someone elses scan,,matter of fact ill put in it george reeves manniquins hands when i send the pics.....youll see the 1st set sunday morning,,stay posted to the boards...ill list it in its own catagory on cgc message boards homepage.........the action1kid

thank you all for welcoming me to the board...im going to post some of my superman stuff on the boards tomorrow to intoduce myself..

tomorrow ill post a picture of the original costume worn by george reeves in the adventures of superman television series..this particular color costume is from the 1956,1957 season,,it is complete and all original,,sweat stains and all..

after which ill post christopher reeves complete costume from superman1..the movie..than ill throw dean canes costume at you[lois and clark..............

than to top off this segment,ill post a HIGH grade UNRESTORED copy of action comics #1...yes its mine,not someone elses scan,,matter of fact ill put in it george reeves manniquins hands when i send the pics.....youll see the 1st set sunday morning,,stay posted to the boards...ill list it in its own catagory on cgc message boards homepage.........the action1kid

Sounds like some cool stuff there. Looking forward to seeing it!

Take a clear, large scan of the Action #1 if you can (not a picture, a scan). I know that lots of people would be interested in seeing it.

What can you tell us about the grade and provenance of your Action #1? Do you plan to get it slabbed someday?

it is my opionion that that 8.5 on the open market[action 1]would go for 750,000..

im basing that on the 2 milluion offer for the mile high copy at a supposed 9.2.and also.....

understand there are very few exsisting unrestored action 1s,and most of them by far and away exsist in the unrestored grades from fair to vg+...above vg+ if you know anything about this book,,,the book just dissapers in unrestored condition...

from fine and up[in true unrestored conditions] the book dissapears faster than a fart in the wind.......and finally,i know that a few of those high grade unrestored books not graded yet,,a few of em will come in with minor color touch or glue,but will probably get a blue label anyway.that 8.5 does not have a microbe of restoration on it..however the caption of rusted staples,,i dont think the open market will hold that against it...its just to rare....some people say the rust on the staples will eventuaaly exspand to the rest of the book,,but i dont think any of us will live to see when that process even starts,so i think the book is ok for a few dozen generation of owners

FFB....

I am not incorrect, though I understand your confusion.

Your original message said "adventure 40 has a very small amount of glue and color touch on the spine of the cover only" and I am just telling you that the color touch is not confined to the spine, there are several small spots of color touch throughout the main image area of the cover of the book.

Really kinda sad.

As for removal of restoration - I agree with the statement that if it can be done and it not noticeable than I really don’t have a problem with it. Yes, I would love for it to be disclosed (not because I think it makes it worth less, but because it’s nice to know these things), but I understand that is not always going to be possible.

Anyone that that says they can tell the difference between an original tear or a tear that was made to remove restoration is blowing smoke and I really don’t see that it matters.

Also agree that is sad that scotch tape will get a blue label and archival tape will get a purple one.

hi ,i agrre,,i am not saying that a restored book with resto taken out is still a restored book,,it is now an unrestored book..BUT WORK HAS BEEN DONE TO IT AND IT SHOULD BE NOTED.. especially if it was already a registered plod,because that is your proof that that has happened....the arguments im getting on this board is that if the resto was removed,its not important to know that the book was once restored....you are paying big big money for these key books,,you have a right to know every single bit of information you can get your hands on ,on the history of your book,,its important to know this because this markets opinions of what is restored and what is not is always changing...,20 years ago color touching your book brought up its value[[why do you think everyone was doing it]20 years later ,,color touch {DESTROYS] the value of your comicbook...opinions are CONSTANTLY changing,one year its in and one year its out, maybe unrestoring a book will bring up its value and maybe 10 years from now unrestoring a book will hurt a books value,our hobbies value system in forever changing,and for these reasons youve got to know everything there is to possibly know about your book,,why is it bad for me to know my book was unrestored ,i want to know my books history,,i want to know that my book was unrestored,its important to me,

i paid 500,000 for it!! i want to know everything about the provenence for that kind of money!

it is my opionion that that 8.5 on the open market[action 1]would go for 750,000..

im basing that on the 2 milluion offer for the mile high copy at a supposed 9.2.

I don't think you can necessarily use the reputed $2 million offered by JP for the Church Action 1 as a benchmark for pricing other copies. The $2 million undoubtedly contains extra premiums for owning the finest copy known of the most important comic in history. Put the other way, if a 8.5 copy of Action #1 sold for $750K, then if I were the Dentist I'd be demanding at least $3 million for the Church copy because it should be at least 4X more valuable than a 8.5.