• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Modern book TEC Golden Age collectors may be interested in

9 posts in this topic

Thought I'd make you fellow Golden Age collectors aware of a cool TBD that DC just released. Its called "The Batman Cronicles Vol #1". It reprints all the Batman stories from Detective #27-38 and Batman #1. Since I never read most of the stories before, it was cool to see how Batman evolved in that first year. Worth a look if you're interested thumbsup2.gif

The difference is that the chronicles is reprinting in chronological order. So, they'll be reprinting Detective and Batman, but pretty quick they'll be adding in the Batman stories from World's Finest.

It's a cool idea. You can pretend you're a Batman completionist, reading every story in chronological order.

Don't worry rjpb. It is common speculation that this series won't go on for too long either because the targeted audience would already have bought the archives as you did or because those picking it up out of curiosity will also end up dropping the book after a short while because the novelty factor from that market segment will peter out quickly once the series gets into the repetitive part of the reprint. I'll buy them with the expectation that this format will fail.

Don't worry rjpb. It is common speculation that this series won't go on for too long either because the targeted audience would already have bought the archives as you did or because those picking it up out of curiosity will also end up dropping the book after a short while because the novelty factor from that market segment will peter out quickly once the series gets into the repetitive part of the reprint. I'll buy them with the expectation that this format will fail.

I think if DC pumps them out fast enough then this format could work, as the volumes are cheap enough (vs. the $50 retail pricetag on the archives, although most of those can be had any day on amazon for closer to $35). If a buyer could get one quarterly, say, as opposed to annually, there might be a shot at longevity here. Also, I think it would've been a smarter idea to release the first three volumes simultaneously. That way you hook people who scoop them all up in one shot, so naturally those folks would come back for volumes 4, 5, etc.

I should've gone into marketing. I'd have been a great swindler. 27_laughing.gif

Add me to the list of Archives owners who will nevertheless buy the Chronicles. I agree there is an added bonus for getting everything in chronological order. I can't think of another comics character where this would be as interesting a project to watch evolve. The first Superman Archives pretty much tells the whole story of the earliest years of Superman's evolution. But with Batman, you have that first year and a bit of solo stories, then the introduction of Robin, The Joker, Catwoman, then the evolution of Kane to Kane/Robinson to Robinson to Burnley to Sprang. Great stuff to watch unfold!