• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Public Service Message to Dealers: Careful with that book I'd like to buy!

44 posts in this topic

You'd be surprised that many dealers and collectors know how to handle books.

And many don't

What blows my mind is seeing pics on eBay of 6.5 golden age books I am interested in laid out face down on a table to give us a spread view of the front and back covers and how the spine is not split...yet. doh!

To the OP. This is the dumbest mess I have read all day and that is consisdering that I just went through a certain candidate's twitter feed.

:signfunny:

But seriously, there are some LCSs that I know will almost always have 99% damaged new-release books every week simply because of how they shelve them. Using the vertical method with a front stop-board half the height of the book - and then jam as many as you can in so that you HAVE to bend books forward just to get your fingers on one to pull out. And this is for ALL new releases! And that same LCS also has their back issue boxes packed so fargging tight there is no way to get any book out and then put it back without damaging them. No thanks! Lay them out flat on a table or, if you must use a vertical shelf - don't pack them in there so dang tight! And yes, there are also those who pick up books by the spine pinching them while scanning them. {Sigh} That's why finding a good LCS is like gold.

Okay, now just waiting for the dealer response about their ham-handed customers

:grin: .

and dont get me started on prices, WTF Dealers???? We know you got your books for 5$ from some grandma that had no idea what she was selling

I refuse to pay your price...I want it for 80% off...final offer!

and dont get me started on prices, WTF Dealers???? We know you got your books for 5$ from some grandma that had no idea what she was selling

I refuse to pay your price...I want it for 80% off...final offer!

Sometimes it is true that I stole the comics from your Grandma... sometimes it is not the case.

I am sometimes willing to pay high, especially for key books knowing that they sell.

Example: I have paid as high as 80% even 90% of the value for a key book. Your 80% OFF offer doesn't thrill me since that is what I paid for it or less than I paid for it.

I'd love to know if I pass your test as a dealer.

I wonder if I pass your test as a dealer...or decent human being.

Inquiring minds wish to know!

Dealers. The other white meat. :gossip:

I do understand the OP's frustration with some dealers (I've definitely encountered a few) that are less than careful with their stock, but as many have said, until I pay the money, it's their book. And I don't usually want to personally handle the book until I've paid for it anyway, because I don't want to be on the hook to pay for it if I damage it while I'm inspecting it. Usually I'll just ask if THEY can show me the back cover and the interior, just to check page quality.

I think it all boils down to mutual respect, for the books and for the people.

Follow-up PSA: If the dealer wants to take his 9.2 copy of AF 15 and deep fry it in chocolate sauce right before your very eyes, guess what? It's the dealer's book. He/she can do whatever the (bleep) they want with it.