• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Comic Collecting After 55

201 posts in this topic

The financial collapse of 2007 and the subsequent Federal Reserve Bank monetary policy has brought an unprecedented decade of unnaturally low interest rates. Fixed income investing, a here-to-for safe and reliable haven and the mainstay for retirees, has been destroyed, changing the retirement calculus completely. Many cannot afford to retire, or are forced to liquidate comic holdings that might have been passed along as an inheritance or at least delayed as sales for many years. With the collectibles market moving in tandem with equities, I'm not surprised Gary is handling a rush as boomers look to divest and take advantage of bubble like appreciation.

Comicjack had it right, though - collectors gonna collect. But with these stratospheric prices, what can a retired geek do? Niche collecting in undervalued untapped areas is still possible. And it can be both challenging and affordable.

For me that looks like hunting down a small digest size publication that Will Eisner got into when he left the comic world for a steady contract with the Army - PS Magazine. Real hard to find in grade, but won't break the bank when you do.

PS16100en_zps88b60fd0.jpg

PS22fc100_zpseae22fae.jpg

PS60fc100_zps430a4905.jpg

Or you can go for Schomburg, even if it's not Wonder or Startling. He did the covers (and interior illustrations) for a Better Publication magazine called Everyday Astrology, every month from 1939 through the 1950's. You could call it his steady gig. These are almost impossible to find in grade, but even so, won't break the bank when you do.

EverydayAstrology243fc_zpsz7aipfvi.jpg

EverydayAstrology143f_zps61ed48lp.jpg

EverydayAstrology743f_zpspz1quie2.jpg

And then there are science fiction digests from the 1950's. Small books, with fantastic covers. They are around, real hard to find in grade, but won't break the bank when you do.

I guess you can tell the last part could be important to retirees.

AmazingStoriesV278fc_zpsrm0ksvv7.jpg

ImaginativeTales11_55fc_zpsezpxtr7m.jpg

FantasyandScienceFiction02_59fc_zps6renqf0j.jpg

FantasyandScienceFiction04_54fc_zpsmvvzmnex.jpg

Imagination06_54fc_zpsakgz0kcf.jpg

Vanguard06_58fc_zpsyvpzpmyv.jpg

I'll be 42 in October. I started collecting Batman and ASM in the early 80's when I was in high school. In university I frequented a store Called 1,000.000 comix in Montreal. Got out of the hobby after university then about 3 years ago I pull a long box out of storage. Went threw it and basically a fire raged in me that I need to finish my ASM collection. Started buying all kinds on eBay and found a seller off eBay who lived close to me. Long story short I'm missing about 50 books to complete 1-700 run. Over the last 2 years I have focused only on key issues or first appearances. My first major purchase was a ASM 1. Over the last year I had been out of the hobby as I got into a few reel state purchases, but as of the last month I'm back here. Biggest regret could of purchased an AF 15 4.5 about a year and a half ago for 4K.

Another 'after 55' here (62). Slabbed comics are nice to own, but for me aren't as enjoyable as comics I can take out of the bag. For this and other reasons, including dissatisfaction with the influence of pressing on the high grade end of the hobby, I've taken the past five years to sell off my slabbed Silver Age books and also big Bronze keys. About 500 slabs are now gone. The remaining slabbed Bronze books also will go eventually, as my wife and I look to rid ourselves of the material possessions accumulated over the years and downsize from our family home. I've even begun selling long boxes of the bronze and copper comics I bought off the rack starting in '72 (please don't message me, I'm already working with a buyer) - my plan is to save only the picture frame Marvels and a handful of other favorites as the collection is whittled down to a few easily movable and storable long boxes.

Interesting question. I have most of what I want. Coincidentally, I find that the dealers are charging so much more than I paid for the books I have, that I don't want the related items. Also, most of the related items are now available in book form.

I don't throw down a hundred dollars for a weekend convention pass where the dealers bring mostly high priced items, which I am either not interested in or I already have. I do go to the smaller conventions. There I can find things that I want to read for a reasonable price.

Also, most of the stuff at the big conventions doesn't interest me in the least. I believe that there were no more comic book dealers at the New York Convention two years ago than there were at the New York Convention in 1975, when it was a fringe hobby.

I stopped going to comic shops after Hate #30 was printed. I stopped buying Marvels after the last Frank Miller Daredevil. I stopped buying DCs when I was about nine. I do go to a bookstore in Toronto called the BMV who buy up remaindered books about comics and another called ABC who often have very interesting used books on comics.

When I think about it, I have stopped collecting but I have not stopped accumulating.

I am probably 40 or 50 books behind in reading. I am currently reading a book by Dave Ross on how to draw the human figure. On deck is a big thick DC history which was a birthday gift. On double deck will be a L'il Abner book of dailies.

I am having a 216 page graphic novel published later this year by Caliber. It is written and drawn but the pages need to be coloured and sized. Most of my energies go into that.

I still have lots of friends who love comics. We meet and talk.

Hello,

I just turned 61 and I am still very much interested in the comics I grew up with.

I have never really been interested in the Artists, Writers, etc,as much as just the stories themselves (What 9 year old thought about this was a Kirby or Ditko book?) most of it is the nostalgia and a lot of my older books are reading copies and I am just fine with that.

I started collecting/reading comics back in about 1964 and collected up to 1969 when we had to move and I had to leave my books behind.

I started again in 1979 buying Rom off the newsstand.

Found my first comic shop in 1983/1984 and I was in heaven.

(Still remember buying my ASM 14 and Avengers 4 for about $15.00 each)

I used to make a trip to all of the local comic shops (5) once a month and a couple of local hotel conventions monthly and when I found something I needed at the right price I was ecstatic.

Then came eBay and a computer for me back in 2005 and buying really started heating up but after awhile it was not the same, sitting at home on a computer took away the thrill of the hunt.

Due to age and some health concerns I had to change professions and make a lot less money so things have slowed down since 2010.

My Marvel superhero runs are all complete except for a few #1's(ASM, Aven, F.F., Hulk, X-Men and first appearances(AF15,JIM 83 (Have the GRR) TOS 39.

The books I am looking for now are all Pre-Hero Marvel (TOS and TTA are complete) and Atlas Westerns with .10 covers.(Two Gun Kid is complete)

Due to financial restraints and that I also started back into Model Railroading for the first time in 40 years due to three of my Grandson's, adding books has slowed to a crawl.

I also told myself I am not buying another book until I get my Sad Sack Complimentary #12 which is the only book I still need to complete my entire Sad Sack collection.

I plan on enjoying my books until the end, when ever that may be.

I began collecting in the early 70's. I sold my collection (which I now regret) in the late 70's.

I had the opportunity to pick up some great Silver Age JLA's really cheap back then. I have

within the last few years began building my collection again. Unfortunately, modern day comic book shops in my area do not carry the comics I once bought. The majority of

what I have is from E-Bay. My collection stands at around 323 comics, not including

Archive volumes, etc. I focus mainly on comics from 1938-late 1970's.

Hi guys, wondering if anyone here is a collector over 55 years old and can describe how their hobby of comic collecting has changed or diminished. I know over time love for hobbies can change, just like once I hit around 25 I stopped playing video games completely, a hobby I previously had for almost two decades.

hm

Most collectors I see today are in their late 40's to 60''s actually, especially for older books, maybe base on nostalgia. The newer books, excluding profiteering flipper motivated by CGC slabs who don't read the comics, I'd say most are in their late 20's to 30's. Comics are no longer funny pages for children. Actually the kids of today often snub their noses and ridicule those who read comics as weirdos. That is in part why the way comics are written today differs from the pre-90's. These are illustrated books for adults.

I think for many collectors who are old, the appeal is that thrill of the chase and hunting their big game, be it a rare book, certain condition, a series run, etc.

Unfortunately for tomorrow's collectors, most books are well taken cared of today, so condition is less of a scarcity issue. Also, the publishers stopped numbering their comics with any loyalty towards longevity to fans, so you won't see many titles go beyond issue #100 before they relaunch. I think the only series with numbering integrity is Image Comics' Spawn, Savage Dragon and The Walking Dead.

Collecting as we age is fun, as it gives us something to do, it creates a hobby to keep us busy and social. Comics a re niche enough where if you like em, but economics comes into play, you can buy from dollar bins, buy trades, go high end high grade, buy CGC stabbed, etc.

Collecting does not necessitate sinking huge dollars, so a true fan and hobbies the can go to a store and convention and buy stuff below cover price.

Hi guys, wondering if anyone here is a collector over 55 years old and can describe how their hobby of comic collecting has changed or diminished. I know over time love for hobbies can change, just like once I hit around 25 I stopped playing video games completely, a hobby I previously had for almost two decades.

hm

Unfortunately for tomorrow's collectors, most books are well taken cared of today, so condition is less of a scarcity issue. Also, the publishers stopped numbering their comics with any loyalty towards longevity to fans, so you won't see many titles go beyond issue #100 before they relaunch. I think the only series with numbering integrity is Image Comics' Spawn, Savage Dragon and The Walking Dead.

You forget one more - Invincible series. Great reading!

This comment you made above is why I stay with volume one series only in my collection. I don't collect today's series due to the publishers rewinding the original numbering back to zero. So my focus ends at 1980-ish. Sure, there are lots of great reading stories later but I buy them in softcover or hardcover volumes only for good prices.

hm

I just retired at the age of 55. What catches my eye and what I buy has changed to some degree but I'm certainly still just as engaged as any time in the past.

I can't overstate just how important a hobby or passion is to your overall happiness. An activity that brings joy to your life is priceless and should be embraced.

hm

I just retired at the age of 55. What catches my eye and what I buy has changed to some degree but I'm certainly still just as engaged as any time in the past.

I can't overstate just how important a hobby or passion is to your overall happiness. An activity that brings joy to your life is priceless and should be embraced.

First of all, congrats on the early retirement!

Second, regarding having a hobby. I tell people young and old this when I hear comments like "I'm so bored, there's nothing to do!". But then again I'm the type of person that can always find something to keep me occupied...

Well I will be turning 55 next month. I started collecting in 1969 (first book was Vampirella #7) and was hooked instantly. I scoured old bookstores and antique shops looking for back issues and bought pretty much every Marvel comic up to 1979. The next couple decades were career driven and the comics were set aside but never forgotten, and in 2004 I began getting back into comic collecting. I sold off my old collection and have since focused on pre-code horror and early silver age books.

Just in the last few years I have been enjoying buying and selling comics, using the "red paper clip" scenario to improve my collection with only modest investment. I do, however, still really enjoy opening the books up and having a good read, imagine that!

I tell people young and old this when I hear comments like "I'm so bored, there's nothing to do!". But then again I'm the type of person that can always find something to keep me occupied...

No kidding. There's never enough time for me to do what I want relating to this hobby. I simply wish I had the time. I hope and suspect that getting bored won't be an issue.

Much like thehumantorch states above, I have been with this hobby for 35+ years, and I've been reading more than ever in just the past two years and there is no end in sight given the wealth of material available: Big 2 older and current, independent, foreign, young readers, strips, etc. Time is what I need!

hm

First of all, congrats on the early retirement!

Second, regarding having a hobby. I tell people young and old this when I hear comments like "I'm so bored, there's nothing to do!". But then again I'm the type of person that can always find something to keep me occupied...

I am so busy doing my hobbies I don't have time to be bored!

1. Comic related reading, bagging boarding. grading, sorting, BUYING/ SELLING, doing comic shows/ conventions as a vendor.

2. Doing comic related art commissions. I seem to be doing one every weekend except the weekends I am doing comic shows.

3. Working on my own comic book story and art.

4. Doing the odd computer game.

5. watch a movie once in awhile.

I'll be 59 in a few months . Love the hobby even more as I retired early. Been collecting since 1965.Stopped in the mid seventies . Came back in 1987 , been on a roll since then . Golden and Silver age and some Bronze. Just love the hobby , the history, stories , art, just a true passion. :cloud9:

Geez, I feel like someone is telling my life story, except I started back in 1963/64 and also stopped mid 70's but got back in 1982/83.

Another 'after 55' here (62). Slabbed comics are nice to own, but for me aren't as enjoyable as comics I can take out of the bag. For this and other reasons, including dissatisfaction with the influence of pressing on the high grade end of the hobby, I've taken the past five years to sell off my slabbed Silver Age books and also big Bronze keys. About 500 slabs are now gone. The remaining slabbed Bronze books also will go eventually, as my wife and I look to rid ourselves of the material possessions accumulated over the years and downsize from our family home. I've even begun selling long boxes of the bronze and copper comics I bought off the rack starting in '72 (please don't message me, I'm already working with a buyer) - my plan is to save only the picture frame Marvels and a handful of other favorites as the collection is whittled down to a few easily movable and storable long boxes.

This is the type of seller I hear from all the time (albeit not with so many slabs). Tons of guys in their 60s down-sizing. And so far the market is absorbing these collections with no problem.