• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 181 - Will press help?

10 posts in this topic

I had a Hulk 181 graded a few months ago. The book was not pressed prior to grading, and has never been pressed. Below are the grader's notes and book pics. I tried to get pics of some of the creases. Will a press boost the grade from 8.0 to 8.5? Thanks for the input.

Grader's Notes:

• Multiple crease full top of back cover
  • Multiple crease left bottom of back cover
  • Small, multiple crease full right of front cover
  • Spine stress lines breaks color

Having trouble with the imgur link, below is link to the pics.

I had a Hulk 181 graded a few months ago. The book was not pressed prior to grading, and has never been pressed. Below are the grader's notes and book pics. I tried to get pics of some of the creases. Will a press boost the grade from 8.0 to 8.5? Thanks for the input.

Grader's Notes:

• Multiple crease full top of back cover
  • Multiple crease left bottom of back cover
  • Small, multiple crease full right of front cover
  • Spine stress lines breaks color

Having trouble with the imgur link, below is link to the pics.

Why didn't you have it pressed before it was slabbed?

Then again, I made a similiar mistake with a Preacher 1 that I had fabry sign & sketch at Wizard Philly.I already pressed the book before taking it to the convention, but while Fabry signed it, even though I window bagged the book...I saw that some light stress lines were introduced in the process.

Fabry wasn't charging for sigs but given that I respect the man and the work he did on Preacher, I handed him $40 afterwards.So, after I had spent my time pressing the book and had given Faby $40, I didn't want to have to cough up the dough for CCS to press the book, figured I'd take my chances and roll the dice on getting a 9.8.

Of course, I got a 9.6...so yeah, moral of that story is when in doubt, don't be a cheap arse and pay the fees for fast tracked CCS pressing. meh

Moving on:

The graders' notes can only give so much help in seeing wether a book will benefit from a press.It's hard enough to determine wether a book will get a grade bump while you're looking at a book that's already slabbed, when the slab is in hand.....even less reliable when you're looking at pics of a slabbed book.

That said:

It presents very well for an 8.0, that's a +1 for starters.

Given that I can see 2 "creases" on the top right of the back cover...which look more like stacking bends to me...and that they are on a white area of the BC where there is no cover inks...they can be pressed out.

However, if those 2 creases/stacking bends/whatever they are.... on the top right of the BC break are actually color breaking creases ( by that I mean the inks on the interior of the BC are broken).....that's a toss up.

To the left of those 2 bends I see a speck of dirt...if not an actual stain, that would be removed during the dry cleaning process.

There is also lighter/trace amounts of dirt on the BC, which would be removed via dry cleaning.

Based on what I can see, I'd say the odds are in your favor of a CPR yielding above an 8.0.

The price differential on this book between 8.0 and 8.5 is at least a few hundred bucks, so I'd say it is worth the investment of a CPR.

Why didn't you have it pressed before it was slabbed?

Beginner's mistake. I started collecting comics this year; I haven't bought books since the early 90's. I was unaware pressing existed until I joined these boards. The book was submitted through my local comic shop - before I joined here. The owner didn't suggest pressing before grading, so I was none the wiser.

That said, I feel if there is a chance for the grade to bump up to 8.5 it's worth a shot considering the value difference between 8.0 - 8.5. I'm just looking for other's opinion who have more experience with grade estimation and pressing.

Thanks for the input so far. These boards are a great tool for information and discussion, especially for a new collector.

UPDATE:

I had this pressed by Joeypost and resubmitted to CGC for grading... 9.0! I couldn't be happier with the press and bump from 8.0 to 9.0. I'll post a pick when it gets delivered to me.

Grader's notes:

small crease top right of cover breaks color

spine stress lines break color