• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What If... Seller Scenario / Comments wanted

9 posts in this topic

Not a Friday Night Special thread, so apologies...

What If....

1. A seller is selling a book on eBay, and it goes without a bid.

2. I simply ask if a BIN could be placed so I can purchase it.

3. We arrive at a price, but seller misunderstands (wants cash/MO). I want to use PayPal/CC.

4. I say no problem, give me the price and put it in a BIN so we can complete transaction.

5. Absolutely no communication, and I later see the book on a third party auction site.

6. Despite the fact that the seller has not communicated with me, I place a bid equal to what I would've paid on an eBay BIN transaction. I do not win.

7. I end up buying the book much cheaper somewhere else.

8. After the dust is settled, seller sends me a message telling me the book is no longer available and was sold in auction and mentions the good price.

What are your thoughts about how the seller handled? I'm more than slightly annoyed, but I didn't get back into this to have drama. Kinda funny at the same time.

So both parties are happier that the original deal didn't go through. Right?

If markets were perfectly efficient it would be a lot less fun.

But I hear ya, OP, poor communication or the perception that I'm being "gamed" is a bugaboo of mine as well.