• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I saw this and drooled all over myself.

156 posts in this topic

Even though I don't care about Hulk 181, I suppose I can also empathize a little bit with what Hobgoblin's feelings are. Sometimes we get so desensitized to books and census numbers, we stop appreciating that some people, as fans, look at super high grade copy of a key and aren't interested in the relative rarity, but rather what the book means to them.

man, somebody's feeling a mite sensitive today.

that book is the prime example of the collectables exception to the "supply v. demand setting price" models. there are TONS of this book in HG and yet it still grabs a hefty premium. 4 thou for a 9.6?

i don't know if there ever will be "a crash" - at least not in the market entire, for a number of reasons - but i can definitely see certain books rapidly devaluing. this one would be close to the top of my list of likely candidates

Hey, I understand that a Hulk #181 in ultra high grade is a grail to you. And I have no problem with that. thumbsup2.gif

What I was really saying, is a copy in that grade comes up for sale, very often (similar the Ultimate Spider-Man #1 white variant cover that supposedly is rare).

GPAnalysis shows thirty six sales over the past few years in CGC 9.6, so basically you will start to drool once a month if you look at eBay and other comic sites to long. tongue.gif

I wouldn't give you the satisfaction. I simply have a different view on this book than most board members do. Should I be hung out to dry because of it?

Actually you should be hung to dry for it. The reason these boards are interesting to read for the most part is the wealth of collecting experience each of the people have here. These boards don't really cater to the Wizard-reading, Hulk 181-drooling crowd. If you want that try some of the other fanboy boards.

I'm sure most of the people here would rather own other books than a Hulk 181. Not to mention that Hulk 181 has been talked about ad nausem on these boards, so there really isn't much else to talk about.

man, somebody's feeling a mite sensitive today.

that book is the prime example of the collectables exception to the "supply v. demand setting price" models. there are TONS of this book in HG and yet it still grabs a hefty premium. 4 thou for a 9.6?

i don't know if there ever will be "a crash" - at least not in the market entire, for a number of reasons - but i can definitely see certain books rapidly devaluing. this one would be close to the top of my list of likely candidates

actually, my sense is that while there is a "Super" supply of this book in all grades, it is matched by a "Super" demand............many much rarer and older books in 9.6 don't come any where close to pulling in $4K+, because, the demand for them just isn't there........................there's a helluva lot of Wolvy fans out there.............. grin.gif

Even though I don't care about Hulk 181, I suppose I can also empathize a little bit with what Hobgoblin's feelings are. Sometimes we get so desensitized to books and census numbers, we stop appreciating that some people, as fans, look at super high grade copy of a key and aren't interested in the relative rarity, but rather what the book means to them.

Especially when the book is Hulk 181.

I sell a lot of low grade stuff so I know in a very real way how people can get excited by merely finding ANY copy of a certain book. I'm usually pretty good at understanding with that feeling. Hulk 181? It was never a favorite of mine to begin with and then it turned into "the only book to talk about here" and I never wanted to hear about it again...

Hulk 181 is arguably the most in-demand comic book in our entire hobby Hobbie, so don't let the haters get ya down! Like burntboy said, the supply obviously isn't keeping up with the demand, which is why the book gets more and more expensive every year.

I wouldn't give you the satisfaction. I simply have a different view on this book than most board members do. Should I be hung out to dry because of it?

Actually you should be hung to dry for it. The reason these boards are interesting to read for the most part is the wealth of collecting experience each of the people have here. These boards don't really cater to the Wizard-reading, Hulk 181-drooling crowd. If you want that try some of the other fanboy boards.

I'm sure most of the people here would rather own other books than a Hulk 181. Not to mention that Hulk 181 has been talked about ad nausem on these boards, so there really isn't much else to talk about.

Lok, you are now #1 on my [#@$%!!!] list. I realize most board members here are "only 9.4 or higher silver age books are worth my time" wannabes who probably find scans of books on other internet sites to post here as their "own." But that doesn't give you the right to denounce me as a collector only because I have different collecting interests. I'm still a collector, no matter what books I choose to collect. I'm only 26 years old. I didn't grow up with silver age books, therefore, I really don't give a [#@$%!!!] about them. You worry about your collection, and let me worry about my own collecting interests.

gossip.gif In other words, 893censored-thumb.gif OFF!!!

Anyone else got anything to say about my excitement over a 9.6 Hulk 181??? I don't live on eBay like some of you posers do. I just happened to look this morning cause I felt like looking and the first one I saw was the 9.6, and I said "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD I WANT IT." Anyone else got any "hollier than thou" comments for me because they think they're better than me ... only because they have no life outside of comics??

Lok, you are now #1 on my [#@$%!!!] list. I realize most board members here are "only 9.4 or higher silver age books are worth my time" wannabes who probably find scans of books on other internet sites to post here as their "own." But that doesn't give you the right to denounce me as a collector only because I have different collecting interests. I'm still a collector, no matter what books I choose to collect. I'm only 26 years old. I didn't grow up with silver age books, therefore, I really don't give a [#@$%!!!] about them. You worry about your collection, and let me worry about my own collecting interests.

Anyone else got anything to say about my excitement over a 9.6 Hulk 181??? I don't live on eBay like some of you posers do. I just happened to look this morning cause I felt like looking and the first one I saw was the 9.6, and I said "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD I WANT IT." Anyone else got any "hollier than thou" comments for me because they think they're better than me ... only because they have no life outside of comics??

27_laughing.gif Since it's clear that you're inexorably headed toward a classic FDQ-style, flame-out departure, I hope you leave for good this time. I don't think there's enough room on the boards to house your massive inferiority complex, let alone your disdain for your fellow board members. Seems like every other post you make is a slam against people who collect high grade books. Maybe this isn't the right forum for you? Head on over to www.comicspriceguide.com and have a nice chat in the "Who would win? Superman:Red or Superman: Blue" thread. I think you'll find those boards to be more your speed. Your hysterics will blend in nicely with those of the other members as well.

Might want to see a mental health professional about upping your prescriptions while you're at it. Wouldn't want to hear that you went on a kicking rampage against all of the dogs in your neighborhood.

hi.gif

Dude...Don't let Chunk get to you.

He lives for that.

You're just putting the icing on his cake. gossip.gif

I was trying to support your position, but you really seem to have gone off the deep end here dude.

We're not all 9.4 collectors. I'm certainly not. Nor do I want to be. But I am aware of the prices and values in the marketplace, so I'm less than enthusiastic about another discussion on Hulk 181.

You didn't really grow up with Hulk 181 either, but I suppose Wolvie is a favorite character of yours. When you lash out like this, it sort of damages your credibility for people to take what you have to say seriously, in which case then you are wasting your time by posting at all.

That said, I do understand why you like Hulk 181, it is, as Banner noted, one of the most demanded keys in the hobby, and if you love the book, then I don't see any reason why anybody should stop you from talking about it. Hell, we never get tired of talking about Action 1 or whatever.