• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Theft Alert: Chicago area Dealer Comics4less

91 posts in this topic

Terrible news!! I just bought a very rare book from him during that epic auction he just put on and his shipping was so fast and packaged so great I couldn't be more impressed. So sad to hear stuff like this. Criminals suck I really am fed up with these low life scumbags I know times are tough for people but why...just why do they have to try and take others under with them :(

You should try to walk on Rio streets for one day.

Try this, take a butter knife. Stick it in something , the space in the tableware drawer. Now bend it. As much as you want...

Now take a good butcher knife. Stick it. It will snap off.

They add, primarily chromium (10-30%) with up to 25% carbon, then may or may not be over 50% mixtures of Alum.,Nickel,Copper,Titanium. But mostly the chromium puts the stainless, in ss (non corrosive).

Ask anyone that uses knives. Stainless wouldn't hold an edge. Most knives are case hardened, that hardens just the surface area so that it will stay sharp longer. The reason it never seems as sharp (for long), after someone sharpens it on a grinder is they ground past that hard area that was only .oo5 (a human hair)in depth. A metal file, dropped, will break when it hits the concrete floor. I'm not going to go looking up the various Mohs or Burnell specifics.

And, the remark about cold air is more than pertinent. Liquid nitrogen and I'd even agree with you. Brittle. You cracking up yet?

Terrible news!! I just bought a very rare book from him during that epic auction he just put on and his shipping was so fast and packaged so great I couldn't be more impressed. So sad to hear stuff like this. Criminals suck I really am fed up with these low life scumbags I know times are tough for people but why...just why do they have to try and take others under with them :(

You should try to walk on Rio streets for one day.

I'd love too

Beautiful place

Don't believe everything the media tells you

I have no problem to go there but just watch your back. There are a lot of thieves. It depends what you are carrying. Here in Chicago, Los Angeles or New York, I still watch my back. My friend sat in a nice restaurant with her friend. Her purse was disappeared without being noticed. It messed her up for next few hours until she forced all credit cards to be unactivated. Luckly the credit card banks waived $3000+ for her. It affected her for few weeks even her credit rating.

My other friend was pocketpicked when he was with his group outside the bar. He stopped all cards and lost about $900 in just fifteen minutes.

My former co-worker who is Brazilian told me that he was pocketpicked TWICE in his native country. He told me to not carry anything valuable on the streets.

I was in France, Spain, England, Cyrpus, Turkey, Jamaica, ABC islands and many different places in Mexico. They treated me nicely. I have not been a target so far. Unfortunately some people were targeted.

Robbery/Thief is the biggest problem all over the world. Look what happened to Comic4less. It had been a target. The company has sold averaged $10-20K per week on eBay that drew the thieves' attentions. Just watch your back and protect your valuable. No matter where you are at.

Try this, take a butter knife. Stick it in something , the space in the tableware drawer. Now bend it. As much as you want...

Now take a good butcher knife. Stick it. It will snap off.

They add, primarily chromium (10-30%) with up to 25% carbon, then may or may not be over 50% mixtures of Alum.,Nickel,Copper,Titanium. But mostly the chromium puts the stainless, in ss (non corrosive).

Ask anyone that uses knives. Stainless wouldn't hold an edge. Most knives are case hardened, that hardens just the surface area so that it will stay sharp longer. The reason it never seems as sharp (for long), after someone sharpens it on a grinder is they ground past that hard area that was only .oo5 (a human hair)in depth. A metal file, dropped, will break when it hits the concrete floor. I'm not going to go looking up the various Mohs or Burnell specifics.

And, the remark about cold air is more than pertinent. Liquid nitrogen and I'd even agree with you. Brittle. You cracking up yet?

I'm a mechanic and drop files on concrete all the time. While I'll agree they are brittle compared to other alloys, they aren't fragile. They can't be.

Take a piece of straight stainless 440 tubing to a muffler shop and ask them to put a bend in it for you.

Then get back to me. Stainless is better for heat than regular steel, it looks nicer and weighs less, however it cracks when you bend it. That was what I was getting at. Like I said before, you are more interested in showing off your knowledge than understanding where I am coming from, hence we cannot have a conversation. Not to mention this had absolutely nothing to do with the topic.