• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Framing Comics

24 posts in this topic

depends what you are trying to do.

Cheap route: go to Walmart and buy a 15 dollar type frame that is the right size for your comic. Do it yourself, and put it up.

Expensive but nice route: take it to a professional framing place and get the book with a nice complimentary matting in a quality frame.

It's two pieces of shaped plastic, held together with a screw and wing nut. Quite a simple design, actually. The pieces are certain lengths to accommodate different sized books

ComicMount™ holds all CGC, PGX, That Other Company that cannot be named here because I dunno, Golden, Silver, Bronze and Modern Age comic books - Fits them all! Also great for Album Covers and many other collectibles! (Holds Any collectible that is 1” in thickness by 13” in height).

What you get:

Awesome display option never before available!

1 ComicMount™ Mounting system containing 2 ComicMount™ Brackets 1.313” x 3” x 7.14” (14.28” Total length)

1 Carriage Bolt & 1 Flange Nut 10/24 size

1 Spacer used for Shelf Mounting

Instructions for assembly for both wall mount and shelf stand display options

Mounting hardware not included (All you need is a nail or other wall mounting hardware)

Looks cheap, but sturdy. It's really up to you how it mounts to the wall.

Make a color copy of your book, frame that. Put the real comic out of harms way.

This is a great idea, I did exactly this for my office. No fear of theft or light fading your books. You can even photoshop the flaws out for a grade bump!

Make a color copy of your book, frame that. Put the real comic out of harms way.

+1

The book cover will fade and/or get yellow or brown with exposure to light. I bought a Conan #1 a while back that had been framed. It was in great physical condition except for a brown tinge from being framed. What would have been maybe an 8.5 was a 6.5 with the discoloration.

From experience , I can tell you with proper framing and conditions your comics will NOT fade. I've had a CGC Hulk 181 9.2 in a custom frame on display for about 6 years and it looks the same as the day I framed it.

I keep all of my comics custom framed in a room with no natural sunlight (no windows) and no fluorescent light. The comics were framed at the box craft store Michaels using custom matting and UV protected Acrylic glass which offers 99% UV protection.

I didn't care for the idea of framing a print or copy. The comic is the piece of art work itself so that's what I wanted displayed. I wasn't interested in keeping them in a box out of sight. However, every collector has their out preferences and interests. Don't let the fear of fading scare you off. They can be displayed and in the right circumstances they won't fade. The greatest pieces of priceless art work are on display daily in museums all over the world. Do it right and you will be fine.

If I can figure out how to upload photos I'll take some today.

I have some of mine in these

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80301792/

They open from the front and have a great amount of room inside so the comic isn't squashed. My comics are in mylites and boarded with the bag affixed to the frames back board.

Can you post a pic of what these look like with comics in them? Can the plastic be result removed so I could switch it out with 99% UV plastic?

http://stores.thecollectorsresource.com/comic-book-frames/

I have 4 books up in my hallway at all times. 2 CGC cases and 2 regular. Fun to switch them out and have new things going on. Also keeps them from being exposed too long to any indirect light it may receive (very minimal if at all in my instance).

I know the MYLITE bags list protection against Ultra Violet fading as one of their features.... so is that not enough? I was also thinking about framing some comics using very old 6 pane window hung on the wall (probably sounds weird but it will fit well with our house and décor) so there is no UV protection from the glass obviously. If the mylar bag itself offers the UV protection I was thinking that would be enough, but does that type of protection not protect against interior light, etc that would cause fading?

They open from the front and have a great amount of room inside so the comic isn't squashed. My comics are in mylites and boarded with the bag affixed to the frames back board.

Can you post a pic of what these look like with comics in them? Can the plastic be result removed so I could switch it out with 99% UV plastic?

Here is a pic of them on my wall

CiMYLZaW0AABb87.jpg

I am not home for a week or so but I will post photos of them closer and open when I am.

You can replace the plastic and replace it with 99% UV plastic.

Here is a cool very inexpensive way to adore your collection...no frames, no geek boxes..etc...Plus you can pick and choose which books you wanna see any time...the shelves are from IKEA and have a middle groove so the book fits nicely...$9-$15 bucks a pop depending on length.

Full_Size_Render_1.jpg

I had a friend who forked out $200 bucks for a glass case....really?

+1

The book cover will fade and/or get yellow or brown with exposure to light. I bought a Conan #1 a while back that had been framed. It was in great physical condition except for a brown tinge from being framed. What would have been maybe an 8.5 was a 6.5 with the discoloration.

+2

Agreed... that way you can get a real nice frame and present the cover anyway you want. You can also scan the book and find a printer in your area who prints on archival paper with "archival" inks (no such thing as archival inks but they have really come along way in extending ink life...100 years or so).

If you print actual comic size should only cost you around $25 bucks.

Don't for get the UV glass on the frame ;)

CiMYLZaW0AABb87.jpg

Look awesome!

CiMYLZaW0AABb87.jpg

Look awesome!

Thanks

More on the other wall, as well as 4 joining OA covers.

Shame they are all coming down in a few weeks. Am moving into student digs for a PhD, so as well protected as they are, don't want to leave them in any light while I am not here, if I can help it.