• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Don't Lurkers Become Active Board Members?

153 posts in this topic

Yet since you registered on December 23rd 2004 you made 11 posts between then and March 21 yet in past two days you have made 6 posts.

Obviously you have pleanty of time now to tell us you dont have time to post

Would you like me to lie? You're right, time is a commodity I have plenty of. I'm yanking your chain. Three posts a day for two days is tearing up these boards. Is there a proper way and time for new people posting here? How many posts is OK with you? confused-smiley-013.gif

As many as you want but dont claim you dont have time to posts..Bad Nettiquette.

Make it seem as if your better than us

But for you to take a poke at people here who as you said....have no lives.. well that serves no purpose other then being non constructive. We are all here for similar reasons.. but some choose to take it to levels others might not.

So Zombie, go back to lurking if we are such a waste of your time. But for you to come on and say such a thing is well.. a waste of MY time.

Implying you have no life wasn't my intention. I apologize. Was trying to contrast my lack of time to others on the boards who appear to never sleep. I don't post often because I can't guarantee being around to follow-up on discussions. I read when I'm able. This looks like a fun place so maybe I'll try to post more.

I think that people would post more if they were not being accused of being shills right from the word go. Heck, right after my first few posts, I was called a shill, Danny, and even a shim confused-smiley-013.gif(by POV). I came here to gather knowledge and to see what's going on in the comic world. I didn't post my first few weeks but I read a lot of threads. After reading I responded by starting a thread telling everyone how much I enjoyed the boards. Then BANG......| / _ your a shill, your Danny 893blahblah.gif. It just wasn't worth it. So, I like to hang out...read through the threads...and only reply when I have something to say. I joined the fantasy baseball league and hopefully, that will help to break some of the ice.

Thanks for asking thumbsup2.gif

But for you to take a poke at people here who as you said....have no lives.. well that serves no purpose other then being non constructive. We are all here for similar reasons.. but some choose to take it to levels others might not.

So Zombie, go back to lurking if we are such a waste of your time. But for you to come on and say such a thing is well.. a waste of MY time.

Implying you have no life wasn't my intention. I apologize. Was trying to contrast my lack of time to others on the boards who appear to never sleep. I don't post often because I can't guarantee being around to follow-up on discussions. I read when I'm able. This looks like a fun place so maybe I'll try to post more.

Welcome to the boards

I think that people would post more if they were not being accused of being shills right from the word go. Heck, right after my first few posts, I was called a shill, Danny, and even a shim confused-smiley-013.gif(by POV). I came here to gather knowledge and to see what's going on in the comic world. I didn't post my first few weeks but I read a lot of threads. After reading I responded by starting a thread telling everyone how much I enjoyed the boards. Then BANG......| / _ your a shill, your Danny 893blahblah.gif. It just wasn't worth it. So, I like to hang out...read through the threads...and only reply when I have something to say. I joined the fantasy baseball league and hopefully, that will help to break some of the ice.

I think everyone goes through that...

Even I did once

8.) You're too shy about your writing skills, and are afraid that someone like Norrin would catch you on your spelling mistakes.

sumo.gif

I have chastized anyone in months. Except maybe kiltman, but that was all in good fun.

Fair enuff.. thumbsup2.gif

Start a post sometime about somthing you like.

Who knows.. perhaps it might even be a topic we have not discussed 1000 times over.

Probably not.. but ya never know!

Ze-

• Administrator
" there are more lurkers viewing it than active board members."

The Who's Online function may be deceptive in that active board members can opt to be in "hidden" mode while on the boards.

54 registered users online right now. 20 of them are invisible.

Even I did once

I agree ..... it still doesn't make it any easier when one is trying to get started. It's a little intimidating.

Even I did once

I agree ..... it still doesn't make it any easier when one is trying to get started. It's a little intimidating.

Its like an initiation . Except there is no Pineapples and Motor Oils involved!

Even I did once

Its like an initiation . Except there is no Pineapples and Motor Oils involved!

27_laughing.gif Fair enough, there was even a poll if I was a shill or not. I didn't even know what a shill was in the context of these boards.

Another problem is all the abbreviations being used on these boards (SCS, PLOD, FDQ, IMHO, NDP, etc.). It kills me when I can't laugh along with everyone else, when someone says, "Did you know that SGCTD was accepted by TLOPQ, but was not registered under CCOFL 27_laughing.gif" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

" there are more lurkers viewing it than active board members."

The Who's Online function may be deceptive in that active board members can opt to be in "hidden" mode while on the boards.

54 registered users online right now. 20 of them are invisible.

acclaim.gif

A lurker showed up yesterday and the first response to his post was someone accusing him of being a Bugaboo shill.

Who needs the headache?

Everytime I check out a certain thread, there are more lurkers viewing it than active board members. What's the reason for not signing up and joining one of the groups on these boards.

A lurker showed up yesterday and the first response to his post was someone accusing him of being a Bugaboo shill.

Who needs the headache?

You have to admit it is a bit suspect that some who has been registered since last December and has been lurking -- presumably to avoid the fray and because they have no time -- suddenly jumps in feet first to stir up a Bug related thread... and only after another Bug shill was terminated.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Would you like me to lie? You're right, time is a commodity I have plenty of. I'm yanking your chain. Three posts a day for two days is tearing up these boards. Is there a proper way and time for new people posting here? How many posts is OK with you? confused-smiley-013.gif

As many as you want but dont claim you dont have time to posts..Bad Nettiquette.

Make it seem as if your better than us

I didn't take what he said as saying he was better than anyone. People may have the time, but it may not be a priority for them, and I'm fine with that. If you don't have the interest, then you really don't have the time. There's no reason to take it personally.

I'll be honest and say that I've wondered the same thing in the past - what do some of these people do all day? Do they do anything besides come to this board and camp out? (again, just being honest, that's not directed toward anyone in particular)

I don't always wonder that about everyone, but when I see people with post counts that are many times my own (and I've got what, about 1200 posts? I think I average out to about 2.5 posts per day - and some days I don't post at all.), I sometimes wonder how in the world they have time to post all that.

I don't understand why people make such a big deal out of the lurkers. People are 100% free to read and never post, or register and post once, or make thousands of posts. If people don't want to register, they don't want to register. They don't owe us an explanation, and they don't have to accept anyone's "challenge" to join. I say leave them be. "Live and let post." smile.gif

My guess would be that the drama keeps a lot of people away. We say we want people to join our "community", and then have flame wars that are VERY personal, make false accusations, betray people's trust, target people, dig up old threads/posts, have witch hunts, and are generally nasty. This stuff turns me off and I'm a member. I don't blame people for not wanting to take the chance on being subjected to that. Who needs it?