• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Suspense 17

One of my faves from that run. Can't beat "hooded menace" covers!!! :luhv:

Same here.....I think my favorite hooded cover would be Super DC Giant 23...the Unexpected issue. The hooded figures are the reason I wanted this issue.

Scott

David Alexander has been trying to unload a low grade copy of this one at an overblown price (surprise!) FOREVER on eBay...

As a side note, it is also does not feature some sort of facial close-up like most of the other Heck covers from the run, and IMO suffers from said lack... :gossip:

43143-weirdterror10.jpg.14d3ddfd2b5b679873c1feeeaf3e367d.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

I'll second that thumbs-up!

Switching gears for a moment to some images that will make everyone's specimens appear high grade.

Several years back, I ran across a rather large (well over 1000-issue) hoard of pristine coverless comics that came out of the estate of a gentleman who owned a small five-and-dime shop in the 1950s. The most interesting thing about this find was that the books were still in their original retail display boxes (reproduced below).

th_Box-2.jpg

Clearly, someone had gone through some trouble to have boxes fabricated and printed (which suggests that the remaindered book market was closer to a gray market than a black market, if not a practice that was totally open and accepted by all involved).

Just about all the genres from that period were represented. Here's a small sample of some of the issues I put away -- Adventures Into Terror 22, Marvel Tales 103, Strange Adventures 31, Uncanny Tales 9 and 12, and Weird Tales Of The Future 2.

th_ADT022-COBB-2.jpg th_MT103-COBB-2.jpg th_SA031-COBB.jpg th_UNC009-COBB.jpg th_UNC012-COBB-2.jpg th_WTOF002-COBB-2.jpg

Actually despite the covers missing, those issues appear to look in fantastic condition!

They must make incredible reading copies! Love the chicken without a head story, one of my favorites! (thumbs u

Actually despite the covers missing, those issues appear to look in fantastic condition!

They must make incredible reading copies! Love the chicken without a head story, one of my favorites! (thumbs u

Nothing better than reading one of these stories on pages that are nice and fresh! :cloud9: