• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Allan Anderson on both of those covers with some attractive, though not terribly gory, art inside. (thumbs u

Allan Anderson on both of those covers with some attractive, though not terribly gory, art inside. (thumbs u

Thanks! I suspected you would know! (worship)

Didn't a more famous Anderson... Murphy, do some interior work as well? hm I'll have to do some reading...

Thanks! I suspected you would know! (worship)

Didn't a more famous Anderson... Murphy, do some interior work as well? hm I'll have to do some reading...

Murphy worked for Ziff Davis -- brought in by Jerry Siegel because of their mutual interest in Sci Fi. In fact, Murphy had gone home to N Carolina thinking he would get out of comics altogether after an unpleasant ending to his work on the Buck Rogers syndicated strip.

Murphy's still looking good. I saw him in Sept at the Montclair Art Museum where he was being honored for his work.

He's the one that told me about Allan Anderson, who is not related. Illustration Magazine did a cover feature on Allan that I highly recommend. Actually I highly recommend every issue of the magazine.

Thanks for filling the gaps, Scrooge! (thumbs u

An affordable reader of Witchcraft # 1 has eluded me for years now! :frustrated:

If you just want to read the stories, Strange Mysteries #18 by I.W./Super reprinted Witchcraft #1 and should be a lot cheaper (though not necessarily easier to find).

An affordable reader of Witchcraft # 1 has eluded me for years now! :frustrated:

If you just want to read the stories, Strange Mysteries #18 by I.W./Super reprinted Witchcraft #1 and should be a lot cheaper (though not necessarily easier to find).

Good info! Thanks! I certainly want to read 'em, but I'd definately like to fill that gap in my run someday as well. :wishluck:

Skull & Bones...

Witchcraft #2 is such a magical cover! Understated at first, but such incredible line work & colors, it pulsates in hand! :cloud9:

Yes. Lots of good work in the run. Here's # 3, which I don't like as much. I bought this in '95 or '96 at the Heroes Con in Charlotte. There wasn't much pre-code there, and I got high pressure sold by Carbonaro from Neat Stuff to buy this one. Nice copy, though.

47296-wcraft3.jpg.615f4d19fcef39ba1519bbdf094b21fd.jpg

Skull & Bones...

Witchcraft #2 is such a magical cover! Understated at first, but such incredible line work & colors, it pulsates in hand! :cloud9:

Yes. Lots of good work in the run. Here's # 3, which I don't like as much. I bought this in '95 or '96 at the Heroes Con in Charlotte. There wasn't much pre-code there, and I got high pressure sold by Carbonaro from Neat Stuff to buy this one. Nice copy, though.

That's a very attractive copy! :applause:

Skull & Bones...

Everett Raymond Kinstler. There are two very good books out on him. I picked up the one on his work in comics at San Diego this year. Bud Plant had for 15 bucks.

They reprinted the run recently Witchcraft

Actually, that was not a reprint of the entire run of Witchcraft.

It did reprint #2, along with the following stories:

The Nine Horrors (The Unseen #5)

The Vengeance Vat (Unseen #8)

Scream in the Night (Unseen #13)

Ghost on the Gallows (Mysteries Weird and Strange #4)

The Vampire Goes West (Tales of Horror #13)

The Little Children (Tales of Horror #13)

The Hungry Lodger (?)

The Ring of Horror (?)

and two one-pagers: The Devil's Stones and The Accursed.

I don't know the source for the last 4 (they didn' identify any of the sources). Anyone out there know where they came from? I don't think they came from Witchcraft as I know all the story titles from those except for one from #6.