• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Thanks! Maybe you will like these WITCHES TALES as well. This was the first complete pre-code horror run (of decent size) I ever put together. Quite fun.Most were purchased for less than $20 each, of course this was 1994-ish. :/

48138-witales1.jpg.f5399ac002a483aefb16d010f479521d.jpg

Keith! That was my first complete run as well! A great run of books! Your #1 is actually a little nicer than mine! (I've never collected for grade!)

Hey! It's a small horror world after all! :grin: I'm with you on grade, too. (thumbs u

Nice Witches Tales Keith! I think the cover art for #2 was recently for sale.

Thanks! I wonder what it went for, do you know? :gossip:

I own horror oa from other eras, but have yet to snag some pre-code oa. hm

I think in the 2000-2500 range. I forget which auction it was in (Comiclink or Bill Hughes?). The more I see these Witches Tales covers the more I like them.

Nice Witches Tales Keith! I think the cover art for #2 was recently for sale.

Thanks! I wonder what it went for, do you know? :gossip:

I own horror oa from other eras, but have yet to snag some pre-code oa. hm

I've seen some pages go for $100-150 so it doesn't have to be expensive. Heritage has been selling lots of Harvey horror OA but they may be mostly out of it by now. You can search their archives to get some ideas about prices.

Got this from a forum member a little while back and finally got around to scanning it.

Freaking love it.

WeirdTerror5cgc80-August19522.jpg

Ah, when Heck could draw :cloud9: Beautiful copy :applause:

He sure could draw those horror covers. This is the Beth copy and was graded 8.0. I love it and its not going anywhere. Will be displaying it at next years Halloween party.

Sweet copy Buck....thanks for posting it. Personally, I always liked Don Heck's stuff. I know he has taken somewhat of a beating here on the boards, but his Avengers stuff always appealed to me.

Heck was awesome in the precode horror

I need to post some books one of these days myself. :shy:

Scott

48429-EkgrenPainting.jpg

WOW.

I'm totally unfamiliar with Ekgren.

His work looks like a collage made from organic materials. Very Strange.

He only did three comic covers, but they are all memorable. I have been after a Weird Horrors 7 for awhile now, but I haven't been able to pick one up yet. Really unique artist.

48429-EkgrenPainting.jpg

WOW.

I'm totally unfamiliar with Ekgren.

His work looks like a collage made from organic materials. Very Strange.

He only did three comic covers, but they are all memorable. I have been after a Weird Horrors 7 for awhile now, but I haven't been able to pick one up yet. Really unique artist.

There is a FOURTH horror cover he did that was never published. Allow me to rehash the tale briefly. One of his heirs approached me about possibly publishing it in Horror Comics Review, but I was not able to afford the one-time reproduction rights he was asking. In fact, he wouldn't even mail me an image w/out some $$. :(

There is a FOURTH horror cover he did that was never published. Allow me to rehash the tale briefly. One of his heirs approached me about possibly publishing it in Horror Comics Review, but I was not able to afford the one-time reproduction rights he was asking. In fact, he wouldn't even mail me an image w/out some $$. :(

How frustrating. :frustrated:

Is there any biographical info about Ekgren on the Internet?

How frustrating. :frustrated:

Is there any biographical info about Ekgren on the Internet?

A little something... Ekgren...

The auction also shows these pictures who might be of Ekgren. In fact, in the mailing list, a member mentions that Ekgren was alive as of last year and Roy Thomas is trying to set an email interview with the heirs and Bill, pretty much the same way that PCKeith tried. We'll see if anything comes out of it. -

48433-BillEkgrenPic1.jpg.9a0fffeb9d308e7d4359fa1add62979d.jpg

48434-BillEkgrenPic2.jpg.cfff4975b7a2de0e3863d2381b4ca0c6.jpg