• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
22 22

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,268 posts in this topic

Black Cat #40

Quasimodo lives!!

Another cover I was totally blown away by. The purple background and yellow wisps of wind adds a strangeness to this unsettling scene. Anytime you've got a large creature and a small pile of humans running away in panic, you can't go wrong! The detail on the giant, especially the face, is remarkable. Thanks to Bunky Brothers for the book!

I also included a pic of the original cover art I found for sale on ebay.

It credits Joe Simon as the artist but looking closely, I was thinking maybe Rudy Palais when I saw the exaggerated sweat/slime drips. What do you guys think?

Doesn't look much like Palais. What about Lee Elias? He did most of those Black Cat Mystery covers.

bb

This book is super rare! What an AWSOME cover!

I would like to find a copy of that paper cutter cover too. It was also a pulp cover.

3611206265_6714ed3059_b.jpg

Palais did the comic but who did the pulp?

I would like to find a copy of that paper cutter cover too. It was also a pulp cover.

3611206265_6714ed3059_b.jpg

Palais did the comic but who did the pulp?

Graves Gladney painted the pulp cover (thumbs u

Hi guys. I'm new tonight. Thought I'd reply to the Dime Mystery/Super-Mystery thread. I have the pulp in my collection - it is indeed very hard to find; in 9 years on Ebay I have seen 3 copies for sale; a few weeks back a decent copy went for $280. I had and, alas, sold, the Super Mystery years ago. Although I am sooo lame/late to be joining this forum after all these years it's been here, it's nice to see horror-ible guys out their sharing the passion.

To add your pic to your post from your computer:

After you type your message click on File Manager located just below the area

you enter your text. A new window will pop up. You will then click Browse

and locate your image (on your computer) that you want to post

(no bigger than 200000 bytes) then click Add File.

You can post up to 5, one at a time. When done click Done Adding Files

and the window will close.

Click Submit and your pic will be added to your post.

Hi guys. I'm new tonight. Thought I'd reply to the Dime Mystery/Super-Mystery thread. I have the pulp in my collection - it is indeed very hard to find; in 9 years on Ebay I have seen 3 copies for sale; a few weeks back a decent copy went for $280. I had and, alas, sold, the Super Mystery years ago. Although I am sooo lame/late to be joining this forum after all these years it's been here, it's nice to see horror-ible guys out their sharing the passion.

WTTB - I'm pretty sure I recognize your tag from eBay. I think you've outbid me a few times :P

Tales Of Horror #8

I have a sub collection of books that could be titled "Nature Getting the Better of Man". All of the books show the beasts taking the upper hand and coming out the better. A lot of the time, the animal is exaggerated in size and shape to make it look more menacing. I love this artistic interpretation. This is one for that stack.

The story inside features this very scene and is drawn pretty well, though nowhere near as eye-catching as this cover. (Sorry for the glare on some of these scans!)

80880.jpg.b76854e5f486cd4e9b988ea841f766f9.jpg

WELCOME!!! :hi: