• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Nice pick up of the MM 12. Is this the one that just sold off Ebay a week or so ago? I was not sure of that book, the image wasn't the greatest. Looked VG+ or so. Your copy appears nicer. I HAD the Bethlehem copy but sold it around 10-11 years ago. Probably would grade out a VF/VF+. Certainly wish I had kept it.

:applause:

That heel claw is a very tasteful touch, don't you think? hm

:bump:

Mystic32.jpg

Nice one!!

I love the reptile theme! Reminds me of one of my favorite TV shows as a kid, V! Campy yes, but it had such a nice horrific element to it. Plus, a pre-Freddy Kruger Robert Englund as the veggie eating lizard deserter! The new series on ABC ain't half bad either!

Ok, enough nonsense chatter from me, back to talking about comics...This is one cool Mystic cover! Are the stories inside solid?

Here's another important book which many of you know is widely considered the first horror comic which became a series. Published approx. 2 years after Avon's Eerie #1 one-shot, Adventures Into The Unknown eventually settled into stories that were pretty tame and boring compared to some of their competitor publishers like Gilmour, EC or Comic Media. That said, there are some gems in there and I think this is one of them. Lots of slick artwork and stories inside.

-There isn't anything particularly horrific going on with the cover here. I think the appeal lies in the anticipation and restraint. I applaud this artistic approach. :applause:

-Solid drawing and great choice of colors!

-Being a father of twins, the bats on the cover are a nice touch! ;)

-This is my first book from the Northford pedigree. :headbang: I read that many of these books have a cool "X" stamp on the back cover which I included a scan of.

98436.jpg.5d744caddddcb48593635b3d28dda88a.jpg

98437.jpg.5d19fdd66d475b59494fce979e5c7964.jpg

Here's another important book which many of you know is widely considered the first horror comic which became a series. Published approx. 2 years after Avon's Eerie #1 one-shot, Adventures Into The Unknown eventually settled into stories that were pretty tame and boring compared to some of their competitor publishers like Gilmour, EC or Comic Media. That said, there are some gems in there and I think this is one of them. Lots of slick artwork and stories inside.

-There isn't anything particularly horrific going on with the cover here. I think the appeal lies in the anticipation and restraint. I applaud this artistic approach. :applause:

-Solid drawing and great choice of colors!

-Being a father of twins, the bats on the cover are a nice touch! ;)

-This is my first book from the Northford pedigree. :headbang: I read that many of these books have a cool "X" stamp on the back cover which I included a scan of.

A great book Christian. Congrats on such a nice one. I like the Northford ped a lot...and this was a definite keeper to introduce into your collection.

Artboy,

Nice batch of books and many of them Precode Keys as well!

The Startling Terror #11 was my first PreCode and one of my favorites. The best part about these books I have found is how different all of the publishers were from each other. Some ripped each other off and there are repeating storylines but in terms of design, artwork and writing, I find it varies the deeper I dig into this area of comic history. Good stuff!