• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

wow- my first thought too, was great sidebar- especially the middle (bottom ain't too bad) Bullseye!

I agree! Love the colors on this book too...the purple and reds especially. Also, I love the drawing quality of the characters. Great pick up Jayman!

If I am ever in NJ, can I come see my old books? :cry:

It is like seeing your baby being raised by your ex's new husband. :baiting:

:insane:

Sorry Scott, I've already told all the books "Daddy never loved you, he only loves the Mustang!" :P

Another ASTONISHING beater. Probably not what they had in mind when they thought about "getting nailed" on their date. Anyone know who drew this? The woman is nicely done. Footnote: "The Horror Show" (see top side panel) was a great literary horror mag in the 1980's, a forerunner of Cemetery Dance magazine. Wonder if this was any influence?

108342.jpg.d981be30ec4e9c5a9c16f2315b5e3027.jpg

Another beloved beater. This book has a few things that I think are cool:

"Vampire at my Window" reminds me of that creepy scene from 'Salem's Lot.

"Jack the Ripper"- I've personally always been fascinated by that mystery.

"The Last Kkrul!" - Well, the spelling isn't the same, but sure is close!

108436.jpg.62ba335cbfd0e52c7c1d803378e2cf6b.jpg

Another beloved beater. This book has a few things that I think are cool:

"Vampire at my Window" reminds me of that creepy scene from 'Salem's Lot.

"Jack the Ripper"- I've personally always been fascinated by that mystery.

"The Last Kkrul!" - Well, the spelling isn't the same, but sure is close!

:applause:

That "Vampire at the window" story was reprinted in an issue of Giant Size Dracula, and really scared me as a kid.

Here's a new book in from Dale Roberts with a sweet Everett cover.

This issue has a bunch of cool stories in it, in fact, the three side vignettes are the best of the book!

Mystic21.jpg

"Homicide!" was great but the Gene Colan story "Dorothy's Doll" really stuck out as a winner to me with a very solid story crammed into just four pages!

It hits on a more serious topic than the usual Atlas ghost or zombie scare tactics with a very creepy and poignant ending. Enjoy...

DorothysDollPG1.jpg

DorothysDollPG2.jpg

DorothysDollPG3.jpg

DorothysDollPG4.jpg

Lastly, the cover to issue #21 (and the reason I picked up the book) reminded me of the last panel of the Everett story "Zombie" from

Crazy #4 I read reprinted in my Atlas Age Menace book that was included as a bonus story at the end!

Crazy4Panel.jpg

Nice book BOOT! Still need to get me one of these. I love the painted look of the cover. How are the stories?

Jayman, Thanks for posting that Mystic story. Real creepy stuff. Love the cover on that book too!

Here's one I FINALLY got.....Beyond 25. TOUGH book to find in any condition. :sumo: If anyone else has any copies, I'd love to see them. This is the only copy I've found available in the last 2 years of looking. It's a solid mid-grade with great PQ so I ain't complaining. High on my want list, it feels great to at last check this one off! :headbang:

The green coloring on the skeletons is great. :sick: I also like the look of the passenger with the book. Like he's pausing to see what's going on up there?

Lou Cameron story at the end but some equally wild stuff throughout the whole rag. These ACE comics might be some of the most underrated in the PreCode Horror realm.

-Christian

108908.jpg.a097e4249e132614cf1040bde35e2633.jpg

Looks like a Harry Anderson cover. The coloring for Ace was often bright and "floral" as if they were colors used in a bouquet. It can take a bit getting used to but I do like that one and the interiors on the late issues are often surprisingly good.

Here's one I FINALLY got.....Beyond 25. TOUGH book to find in any condition. :sumo: If anyone else has any copies, I'd love to see them.

:hi:

I got this one courtesy of Pat :hail:

As you mention, one can't get picky about condition for this book. I'm just happy to have the copy and congrats on your nicer one. :thumbsup:

108914.jpg.68b05aa5b55af23931d3c4ce93ef0d98.jpg