• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

I wonder if this was that same copy?
It was not.

hm

Jay. ...I remember you and I going back and forth over the Beware 8.0, each trying to get the other one to pick it up. I still remember the last time I went looking for it to find it sold on Metro's site. I think I ended up getting my Thing! 15 8.5 ow/w instead....which I would still rather own. The one that bugs me is the 7.5 WM 4 on CLINK about 4 years ago....1K for that book. ..and I passed as I thought it had gone too high. Concentrated on another one at that point.

Hey how come this post doesn't seem as popular a the recent purchase pre code thread... ???? would love to see some of the best copies from this era posted here.

We're all curled up in the fetal position after seeing your books.

Affirmative.

curious what the price of the Beware 10 is. I know you would never sell it, but I wonder what is the value of such a rare book in that grade?

20K?

If it came to market and was on heritage, would it go beyond 20k? The highest graded known copy? I think very likely beyond 20k

Not even close.

So you are saying my 20k estimate is lofty?

What do you think?

8.0 cgc copy sold for 1k in 2007

You are probably right.

High grade classic cover PCH has had some amazing prices realized lately, and I don't doubt the 8.0 would sell easily for 3 -4 times that now, but I never got the impression that PCH collectors were like Silver/Bronze collectors, paying big multiples for highest graded copies. I'd be surprised to see any 9.2 PCH book reach anywhere near 20K - but 10K? It's just a matter of time if it hasn't happened already,

I am thinking the Beware 10 has the same desireability as the Weird Mysteries 5 "brain" cover for example. In Aug 2012 a 6.5 sold for $6760. Is it that much of a stretch to consider a 9.2 Beware 10 highest graded/ known copy to see 15-20k?.

It is interesting to speculate.

I'm not quite sure that Beware 10 is quite up there with WM 5 or MM12 for desirability, and I'm guessing you can still find VG copies of either of those for somewhere around $1500 or less, where a Beware 10 in VG would probably be $300-$400.

I think the $6760 price on the WM #5 in CGC 6.5 was one of those fluke auction prices from a bidding war, and unlikely to be matched if another copy in similar condition showed up for auction. While a 9.2 copy of either WM #5 or MM #12 would be a good candidate to cross the 10K mark at auction, I don't see beware 10 in that range.

I think a lot of Atom Age/ esoteric books cap out in what collectors are willing to pay much lower than premium GA superhero stuff. Last year heritage sold a 1.8 copy of Reform School Girl for around $900, and an 8.0 ( tied for HGC, albeit with tan pages) for $10,775, with a more recent 5.5 sale for $3100. Now this is a book that ( for reasons that somewhat mystify me) has long sold for more than pretty much any PCH book in low grade, but I wouldn't bet even money that if a 9.2 copy surfaced that it would go for more than 20K - for a book that sells for 6x what Beware 10 does in low grade.

Dang Steven. You have some cool funnybooks.

Quoted to preserve the greatest understatement of 2013. :kidaround:

Dang Steven. You have some cool funnybooks.

Quoted to preserve the greatest understatement of 2013. :kidaround:

:acclaim:

curious what the price of the Beware 10 is. I know you would never sell it, but I wonder what is the value of such a rare book in that grade?

20K?

If it came to market and was on heritage, would it go beyond 20k? The highest graded known copy? I think very likely beyond 20k

Not even close.

So you are saying my 20k estimate is lofty?

What do you think?

8.0 cgc copy sold for 1k in 2007

You are probably right.

High grade classic cover PCH has had some amazing prices realized lately, and I don't doubt the 8.0 would sell easily for 3 -4 times that now, but I never got the impression that PCH collectors were like Silver/Bronze collectors, paying big multiples for highest graded copies. I'd be surprised to see any 9.2 PCH book reach anywhere near 20K - but 10K? It's just a matter of time if it hasn't happened already,

I am thinking the Beware 10 has the same desireability as the Weird Mysteries 5 "brain" cover for example. In Aug 2012 a 6.5 sold for $6760. Is it that much of a stretch to consider a 9.2 Beware 10 highest graded/ known copy to see 15-20k?.

It is interesting to speculate.

I'm not quite sure that Beware 10 is quite up there with WM 5 or MM12 for desirability, and I'm guessing you can still find VG copies of either of those for somewhere around $1500 or less, where a Beware 10 in VG would probably be $300-$400.

I think the $6760 price on the WM #5 in CGC 6.5 was one of those fluke auction prices from a bidding war, and unlikely to be matched if another copy in similar condition showed up for auction. While a 9.2 copy of either WM #5 or MM #12 would be a good candidate to cross the 10K mark at auction, I don't see beware 10 in that range.

I think a lot of Atom Age/ esoteric books cap out in what collectors are willing to pay much lower than premium GA superhero stuff. Last year heritage sold a 1.8 copy of Reform School Girl for around $900, and an 8.0 ( tied for HGC, albeit with tan pages) for $10,775, with a more recent 5.5 sale for $3100. Now this is a book that ( for reasons that somewhat mystify me) has long sold for more than pretty much any PCH book in low grade, but I wouldn't bet even money that if a 9.2 copy surfaced that it would go for more than 20K - for a book that sells for 6x what Beware 10 does in low grade.

I sold my RSG 1.5 for 1125.00 the first day it went up (makes me think I should've priced it higher). I think a 9.2 would easily go for 20K. That 5.5 that recently sold on HA had a lower right front cover corner missing, otherwise I think it would've sold for closer to 5K.

Here's two cool pre-codes. Both are CGC no-shows. But not for long....[whistle]

FantasticFears7_zps44cc3b1d.jpg

One tough book! Anything interesting inside?

All the artwork is unsigned. No one noteworthy. It has a cool dinosaur story and some lingerie panels. The best thing is the great cover.

Edited by vaultkeeper

All the artwork is unsigned. No one noteworthy. It has a cool dinosaur story and some lingerie panels. The best thing is the great cover.

Agree! very cool cover I have never seen before

I wouldn't put anything past Ajax-Farrel - but a dinosaur in lingerie? :o