• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
22 22

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,274 posts in this topic

hail.gif That cover screams 893whatthe.gif Just what I need like another hole in my head a nother book to add to my want list is that a very hard book to find? Thanks for posting it Awesome thumbsup2.gif

Thanks!

It's around. Just tough to find in high grade.

I did it I finally got through all this thread ! Enjoyed every hour of it once again awesome job guys 893applaud-thumb.gif I'll try to add to it not sure if this one was posted in this thread as I have read so much stuff on this site it's getting kinda hard to keep it all straight in this old noggin insane.gif sorry if it already made the list

WTa.jpg

I did it I finally got through all this thread ! Enjoyed every hour of it once again awesome job guys 893applaud-thumb.gif I'll try to add to it not sure if this one was posted in this thread as I have read so much stuff on this site it's getting kinda hard to keep it all straight in this old noggin insane.gif sorry if it already made the list

That is a very nice copy, HH! thumbsup2.gif

Hey, don't worry if something has already been shown (I don't think that your WT has anyway), it is always a pleasure to see everyone's personal copies. grin.gif

I missed out on the bidding on this one....I'm not a pre-code horror expert, but I know my way around....and, I've seen many COME and MANY go....however, you don't see this issue very often...STRANGE MYSTERIES #21...also, of note, this seems VERY LATE in the PRE-CODE realm.....january1955.....hmmmmm.....thoughts ? strangemysteries211-55.jpg
Edited by ajaxfarrell

I don't think I've ever seen that book.

I think Feb. 55 is the last cover date you'll see without the code (excepting Dells of course), but I don't know that I've ever seen the "1955" on a pre-code cover before.

Now, someone more knowledgeable may correct me on this, but since Superior is much more of a Canadian outfit than a US outfit, wouldn't it make sense that they could "evade" the code for a while longer before bowing to its pressures? Just a thought.

Now, someone more knowledgeable may correct me on this, but since Superior is much more of a Canadian outfit than a US outfit, wouldn't it make sense that they could "evade" the code for a while longer before bowing to its pressures? Just a thought.

I was thinking the same thing.

Here's my WoM # 22. Ya know, this is yet another cover that stands out from the rest of this run, IMO. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1637831-web22.jpg

I love the Lou Cameron were-tigress story that leads off this issue! cloud9.gif

The professor was always getting too WRAPPED UP in his studies... insane.gif

WoM # 23.

1639686-web23.jpg

I really like the way they did the coloring on this cover -- one of many strong mummy covers amongst the Aces.

I love the Lou Cameron were-tigress story that leads off this issue! cloud9.gif

"She Stalks at Sundown" or something along those lines. I gave it a quick read last night. Ace comics are often wordy compared to some other PCH publishers, must be because of their book publishing background.Cameron never fails to satisfy. I liked the final panel the most! yay.gif

RE: Strange Mysteries

Superiors were printed in canada, but it was outsourcing for cheaper rates, they were still meant for the US market, so I doubt they had extra leeway. I think its more likely that most companies stopped doing it in advance because of the fear of repurcussions, but superior was such a fly by night with almost no output other then horror (A few romance & western, & maybe 2 issues of a humor mag) that they probably didn't care & milked it to the end.

I had that issue before, and it was the only copy I had seen at the time. If I remember correctly it reprints an earlier issue.