• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,238 posts in this topic

When I slipped this book out of its mylar it had/has the strangest metallic silvery gloss I've ever seen on a book.

Fawcett used metallic compounds in the ink near the close of the comics publishing division. As a result, fresh copies exhibit very intense colors that, when tipped in the light, expose another side of the crystaline structure reflecting that sheen you admire.

Thanks for the info adamstrange! hail.gif

This is very interesting considering Scott (wrightson fan) and I compared notes on my issue and his TMIH #6 (posted above). Both copies exibited the same metallic sheen. Concluding it was something added to the inks but were not sure until now. As you say, only noticeable when tipped in the light, it makes a unique sheen on the cover.

When I slipped this book out of its mylar it had/has the strangest metallic silvery gloss I've ever seen on a book.

Fawcett used metallic compounds in the ink near the close of the comics publishing division. As a result, fresh copies exhibit very intense colors that, when tipped in the light, expose another side of the crystaline structure reflecting that sheen you admire.

Thanks for the info adamstrange! hail.gif

This is very interesting considering Scott (wrightson fan) and I compared notes on my issue and his TMIH #6 (posted above). Both copies exibited the same metallic sheen. Concluding it was something added to the inks but were not sure until now. As you say, only noticeable when tipped in the light, it makes a unique sheen on the cover.

You're welcome. No one else that I'm aware of printed comics this way, though by no means is this the only unusual printing/ink techniques that you see in GA books. I would actually be very interested to learn how some of the more unusual printings were done or more about the composition of the inks, but that's my inner engineering geek showing through. It's another part of the adventure that makes GA collecting so much fun. laugh.gif

WTOF4.jpg

It's great to see these all grouped together in the thread where they will feel the most at home!!! cloud9.gifcloud9.gif

You're welcome. No one else that I'm aware of printed comics this way, though by no means is this the only unusual printing/ink techniques that you see in GA books. I would actually be very interested to learn how some of the more unusual printings were done or more about the composition of the inks, but that's my inner engineering geek showing through. It's another part of the adventure that makes GA collecting so much fun. laugh.gif

I agree. Even though my collecting goals are mostly horror related, as I dip backwards into these pre-codes, it's the history behind them that lead up to the forming of the CCA that fascinates me as much as the covers and stories. The printing methods just add another curious facet to this hobby for me. thumbsup2.gif

I wonder what the compound added to the inks, durability? Gloss? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wonder what the compound added to the inks, durability? Gloss? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't know, but I'm sure it contributes to lead poisoning and drain bamage. tongue.gif

You're probably right. I think the compounds gave them color intensity that made them stand out. DC also used inks with metallic content for some of their 50s books -- no sheen or crystalline structure however.

I have posted all of these in my own thread during the past year but some of you horror fans might not have seen them. I thought they should be in this great area on the boards too.

Scott

WOW!!! Thanks for sharing these great books here, Scott!! Some nice ones! hail.gif

I think I am most envious of the Crime Suspenstories signed decap cover. blush.gif

or this one?

1859670-weirdterror_7.jpg

This one, my favorite of the run IIRC. This cover has more depth with 3 distinct levels and benefits from both 1) the frame inside a frame aspect of the furnace opening (and notice how Heck also added a window in the back to help with the perspective) and 2) the coloring contrast of red on black + the red recalls the red from the logo. Hands down the better of the two covers IMNSHO.