• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,238 posts in this topic

or this one?

1859670-weirdterror_7.jpg

This one, my favorite of the run IIRC. This cover has more depth with 3 distinct levels and benefits from both 1) the frame inside a frame aspect of the furnace opening (and notice how Heck also added a window in the back to help with the perspective) and 2) the coloring contrast of red on black + the red recalls the red from the logo. Hands down the better of the two covers IMNSHO.

Yeah, what Scrooge said and it's just so heinously evil hail.gif Both those covers are so awesome! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Angelo

Cover wise, I'm sold on the 2nd one as you are...but I hear the previous issue has tons of dismemberment, decapitation, and all sorts of interesting stuff...what's in the stories of the 2nd cover?

IMNSHO=?

gossip.gif In My Not So Humble Opinion.

Btw, I applaud you for thinking behind the cover when picking those books 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here's some decapitation from Issue # 6 -

1859748-WeirTerrors6-Decapitation.jpg

and some weird snake in your bed from # 8 -

1859748-WeirdTerror8-Snake.jpg

1859748-WeirdTerror8-Snake.jpg.ebc6d9d5eb9fff51e0172202a2cb819b.jpg

or this one?

1859670-weirdterror_7.jpg

This one, my favorite of the run IIRC. This cover has more depth with 3 distinct levels and benefits from both 1) the frame inside a frame aspect of the furnace opening (and notice how Heck also added a window in the back to help with the perspective) and 2) the coloring contrast of red on black + the red recalls the red from the logo. Hands down the better of the two covers IMNSHO.

Don't forget that funky eyeshadow he's wearing! thumbsup2.gif

9 is my favorite of the run. Should have a copy soon. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Based on use of colors and the covers...if I had to collect the entire series...Tomb of Terror, Weird Terror, and Thing would rate up there high. They have more winners than any I've seen thus far that suits my sick tastes. devil.gif

9 is my favorite of the run. Should have a copy soon. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Based on use of colors and the covers...if I had to collect the entire series...Tomb of Terror, Weird Terror, and Thing would rate up there high. They have more winners than any I've seen thus far that suits my sick tastes. devil.gif

Three great series. My personal favorite is Weird Tales of the Future though. Great covers on all issues and most have Wolverton interior art.

I want both!!! sumo.gif

honestly, it's impossible for me to choose between those two.

I want both!!! sumo.gif

honestly, it's impossible for me to choose between those two.

It's tough....real tough, but I would go with 7. Now, trying to make me choose between 2 and 7, THAT would be impossible.

941_4_7.jpg

As for cover choice, clearly this is the one for me. A busier composition than I generally like but in the context, it is perfectly adept to the situation. The central figure from whence the mayhem pours is a winning element by both anchoring the wild and directionless ensemble cast and fixing our gaze with the evil look thrown out at us, almost impossible to be escaped. The other cover by Wolverton has always left me cold, quite possibly to my eyes by the, dare I say it, improbable nature of the menace. I'd be more willing to accept a zombie or a vampire rather than this ... thing. All in all, # 7 wins over for me.

Anyone up for my Ekgren story yet? devil.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif popcorn.gif

Uh yeah, that would be the story. Forgot I had already jawed about it once before. crazy.gif

At least SOMEONE is reading the thread!!! grin.gif

Footnote: I tried to work out a deal with him between either a full color front/back cover, or a b&w interior piece. He wasn't having either w/out mucho $$$. He wouldn't even email me the Dagon (sic) ( wink.gif) thing! Bummer! yeahok.gif

Uh yeah, that would be the story. Forgot I had already jawed about it once before. crazy.gif

Footnote: I tried to work out a deal with him between either a full color front/back cover, or a b&w interior piece. He wasn't having either w/out mucho $$$. He wouldn't even email me the Dagon (sic) ( wink.gif) thing! Bummer! yeahok.gif

Any info about his granddad that is worth sharing?

Any info about his granddad that is worth sharing?

Or when issue #5 of HCR is coming out? juggle.gif

I'll do a new cover! poke2.gif