• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,238 posts in this topic

Returning from that momentary interruption to the pre-code aspect of this thread, here's a quartet of Atlas beauties from the mid-1950s: Adventures Into Weird Worlds 13 (Edgar Church copy), Marvel Tales 104 and 127 (White Mountain copy), and Spellbound 23. Enjoy!

AW013-MH.jpg

MT104.jpg

MT127-WM.jpg

SPEL023.jpg

Great books as always! (thumbs u

Love the MT 104 with the Gateway to Horror and there's something about the way that gargoyle says "I know!" on the 127 that gets me every time I see it! :applause:

Never noticed that WW #13 cover before - Everett just keeps them coming - and even if it had caught my eye in the Gerber guide - I never would have seen the bullet holes in the dead men - the smoking one in the guys chest is a nice touch.

I've seen a few Church horror books that appear to be midgrade, are there highgrade examples of Church PCH? - I'm sure there must be. And was he as much of a completist in the early 50s as he had been during the 1940s?

I first met Chuck at an ultra-small and very poorly attended convention in Sacramento in the late 1970s. I spent a few hours looking through the collection (which was still not being promoted as anything special). Conditions on the 1950s stuff was quite mixed relative to the GA issues (although all the books had bright cover colors and beautiful white pages). For example, the Adventures Into Weird Worlds run looks like Mr. Church picked it up second hand. However, the Adventures Into Terror and Astonishing runs are absolute smokers.

Returning from that momentary interruption to the pre-code aspect of this thread, here's a quartet of Atlas beauties from the mid-1950s: Adventures Into Weird Worlds 13 (Edgar Church copy), Marvel Tales 104 and 127 (White Mountain copy), and Spellbound 23. Enjoy!

Awesome, awesome, awesome, and awesome! (thumbs u

AW013-MH.jpg

MT104.jpg

MT127-WM.jpg

SPEL023.jpg

That Heath cover on the 104 is AWESOME.All the rest are nice but that one really caught my eye.

Dennis

AW013-MH.jpg

MT104.jpg

MT127-WM.jpg

SPEL023.jpg

That Heath cover on the 104 is AWESOME.All the rest are nice but that one really caught my eye.

Dennis

You guys know what this bad mutha is.

Scott

Thing!15.1.jpg

Thing!15.2.jpg

WOW these are tuff in anything above fine let alone a 8.5.Very nice.

Dennis

The Vampire Maker story in this issue is by Carmine Infantino. There's actually a sequel to that story in Adv Into WW 15 by Tuska that is quite good as well.

AW013-MH.jpg

Wasn't sure if I was supposed to post this here, or in the thread that's pinned at the top, so I decided on both :banana:

myst21.jpg

Sweet. And it's full of horrific pre-code violence inside! :cloud9:

A few good nightmares, in celebration of the scariest month of the year: Adventures Into Terror 14 (Edgar Church copy), Adventures Into Weird Worlds 26 (Petaluma copy), Journey Into Unknown Worlds 27 (River City copy), and Strange Tales 19 (Aurora copy). Beware the Ides of October!

AT014-MH.jpg

AW026-PET.jpg

JIUW027-RC.jpg

ST019-AU.jpg