• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,236 posts in this topic

Overall they're ok as backup stories to Airboy. These are the only issues I have so there might be better stories. One issue describes the Heap as a "Great shambling hulk that is neither animal nor man - yet a creature that is nature's messenger to travel over the face of the Earth." In most tales he wanders in and silently thwarts the evildoers while battling other creatures.

I'm not familiar with his true origin but picked up these issues because I was intrigued by the mention of the Heap in the copper age run of Swamp thing as a previous Earth elemental. I do recommend the Crabmen of Paris story in the first issue I posted. No Heap in that one but pretty well written story of the French Royalty who escaped the Revolution and became underground dwellers. They finaly planned to retake France but Airboy has the tunnels flooded and drowns them in the end!

There's a Heap of good covers! ;)

:applause: Nice to see I am not the only one buying Airboy comics :cool:

Do you have the one with the giant bug being fried by an electric arc? I still miss that one.

These are all I have so far...purchased from Steve (143ksk) over a year ago so the stories are faded in my memory.

I got these because I needed to sample the total range of swamp-monster characters! :insane:

There's a Heap of good covers! ;)

:applause: Nice to see I am not the only one buying Airboy comics :cool:

Do you have the one with the giant bug being fried by an electric arc? I still miss that one.

These are all I have so far...purchased from Steve (143ksk) over a year ago so the stories are faded in my memory.

I got these because I needed to sample the total range of swamp-monster characters! :insane:

Heap covers rock!!!! :busy:

Haunt Of Fear #18

I, like many Ghastly fiends on these boards, love the cover for #17. Many consider it his best cover and I agree, but I am starting to think that the following issue here puts up a pretty good fight for top spot. I have seen this cover many times and I still, to this day, am not 100% sure of what is going on in this scene, and that's ok! The confusion is what partly makes this such a wickedly nightmarish and fantastic cover!! Every time I look at it, I find something new.

Other thought chunks:

-I am a sucker for covers with lots of green in them.

-The critters pouring out of god-knows-what? Simply twisted!

-The colors in the face of the old Witch are remarkable. Plus, her red dress simply ruptures off the book.

I picked up this book from a LCS here in Orlando where I was doing a signing during Free Comic Book Day last month. It was a great day and I ended up having some store credit which I rolled into this and 2 other Haunts I will be posting next. All 3 books are solid mid grades and what I love about them, is their white/off-white page PQ! :D These were most likely imports as most native Florida Golden Age is often brittle and brown.

81670.jpg.46ff96fc92c91424370e629e714176bb.jpg

Haunt Of Fear #24

I have always thought this is another standout cover from the Haunt line.

-After I get past the great yellow and orange letters over the magenta background in the title, I immediately look at the woman with the lantern. She is in such a dynamic pose and she is so well drawn, Ingels really doesn't make her look creepy here. Instead the creepy qualities lie in everything else in the scene.

-This cover is really a show of different Textures and how they contrast each other. The woman is smooth and silky holding a lantern which looks hot and rusty. I can feel the splinters from the wood beam and bucket just staring at the cover. Finally we have a tar-like liquid creature on the ground with strategically placed empty ale jugs pointed at it. Even seemingly insignificant parts are given care such as the beautiful stone wall with all its cracks and breaks.

This is another visual feast from the macabre master himself. Thank You Ghastly! Wherever you may be!! :headbang:

81671.jpg.1bc617b2d2ca8b88494cdf115ff6fe92.jpg

Haunt Of Fear #26

Another incredible cover and one I didn't remember well from when I picked up the reprints. Nonetheless, I am given it the attention it deserves now.

-This cover for me is all about the attitude of the characters. Just look at the disgusted look on that guy's face. Classic Ingels! There is a story on this inside that relates to this scene.

-Look at the bow on the goul's head. Ghaslty's attempt at humor and simply brilliant!

-Great composition again moving your eye perfectly around the picture space, giving it all kinds of horrific stuff to take in.

-The background here is cool. I love how the door is ajar with an eerie orange glow coming behind it.

-Probably the best copper kettle teapot to appear on any PreCode Horror cover!! ;)

81672.jpg.5ae53847a3f62f9681e56ce59c9261fe.jpg

Edited by Darth Corgi

Airboy also offers some horror-ish covers even though the interiors do not necessarily reflect that element. Here's an example that would IMO do nicely as the cover of an actual horror book -

81673.jpg.7829104415e7690bc8bc943399d69547.jpg

Oooh..oooh, can I do one too? :grin:

Haunt of Fear #27

Love the perspective on this cover, Ghastly got the angle just right for horrific effect!

There's a real sense of isolation and you can almost feel the crumbling and creaking of that shack.

Looking at the cast shadows from the porch posts you can tell the hand is rising in the glow of the (probably full) moon!

Another detailed beauty from Ingels. :cloud9:

HauntOfFear27.jpg

Oooh..oooh, can I do one too? :grin:

Haunt of Fear #27

Love the perspective on this cover, Ghastly got the angle just right for horrific effect!

There's a real sense of isolation and you can almost feel the crumbling and creaking of that shack.

Looking at the cast shadows from the porch posts you can tell the hand is rising in the glow of the (probably full) moon!

Another detailed beauty from Ingels. :cloud9:

HauntOfFear27.jpg

Nice book! :headbang: That guy on the porch is so dead!!

Web Of Evil #4

I did a drawing and traded it for this book at a small show here in Orlando. The cover is detached and the top corner is reattached with tape :eek: but aside from that, its a beautiful book with white pages! The cover still has tons of gloss too! If someone told me it was a banged up Church copy I'd believe it. Are the markings on the cover consistent? Something I'll keep an eye out for.

Anyway, this is my only "Quality" book. The bodies falling out the beast's mouth is what sold me on it.

81702.jpg.6d3234ebf0cc15b6f0b0416adea3102b.jpg

Edited by Darth Corgi

Nightmare #2

Another stunner from Ziff-Davis! I picked up a bunch of these in a lot from Heritage that I'm going to post up now...

That is one hideous Mermaid! Green fingers... :sick::cloud9:

Also, more bad PreCode Teeth! :insane:

81703.jpg.562d41040b1be5474ed7739b3e5fc26d.jpg

Edited by Darth Corgi

Amazing Adventures #1

Great painted cover! These are more SciFi than Horror...still though, that dude is rather bloody.

-Great weird colors coming out of the ship and billowing into smoke.

-The woman seems more like a statue or a mirage than a real person.

81704.jpg.e49bd3ee92e431f3f4cb72846c57d5b0.jpg