• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

#20 Haunted Thrills 6

Roll the bones my fellow Precoders! No PC list is complete without at least one Ajax Farrell book and today there are two up here. These books have some of my favorite Precode stories in them, mostly created in the Iger Studio. This book screams classic with the dominant skeleton in the middle throwing snake eyes. The design is actually deceptively simple but effectively drawn. The black ink drawing pops against a wild field of colors which might not match too well with each other....but who cares?! These comics are supposed to be crazy.

HauntedThrills6.gif

Agree on those wild color choices! The complimentary red and green title against that purplish blue background really pops. Any book with stories titled "Pit of Horror" and "Monster Mill" get my vote! Plus just WHAT is Satan doing under that cape! :olol

#25 Mens Adventures 22

Let us start with an underated classic drawn by the great Bill Everett. This is a pretty gruesome cover. Take a moment and really look at what is happening in the scene. Yeah. pretty sick.... I like the pose of the goul and his expression. I think this is one of the best character drawings from the hundreds of Atlas horror books that were published. The column thumbnails on the left featuring other stories in the book are also equally entertaining. My personal favortie is Deadline! :)

Also, this book has plenty of that famous Atlas Green!....... :cloud9:

Always easy on the eyes.

MensAdven22.gif

Fantastic choice! I'm got this one on my radar. One just sold on ebay, but I've been picking up others in my focus instead. One day I'll have one of these!

#15 Spellbound 9

Lots of Atlas on this list. Over the last few years, I have really gotten into them.

Here is a book that was love at first sight for me. That meant it took awhile to track down a decent copy. This one is not perfect but its solid and the River City copy.

This is probably the most subtle of the covers on this list. We are not 100% sure of what is going on here but it is very well drawn and intruiging. The detail in the outstretched hand in the foreground with a little touch of red on it makes it pop. The broken staircase is so detailed...then the body laying facedown in a pool of yellow light surrounded by purple shadow..and look at all that linework in the shadows!

Just awesome.

Spellbound9.gif

#14 Black Cat 45

When it comes to Black Cat, issue 50 seems to get the majority of praise (and rightfully so) but there are plenty of other killer covers in the run.

The feature story here Colorama is a Harvey classic and very clever in how it is told. As for the cover, a psychedelic portrait dominates the composition....front and center with superb color choices. One of the best things about the Harvey Horror books are not just the cover art but the mastheads/ titles of the books. Black Cat is uniquely designed as to look like brushstrokes. Its brother and sister titles are the same, like Tomb of Terror, Witches Tales and Chamber Of Chills.

BlackCat45.gif

#13 Menace 1

Menace is a great short run of books all filled with great stories. Many collectors have said Menace features some of the best of Atlas horror, and I agree. Many of these issues are tough to find in any shape. It took me YEARS to put a full run of these together. This past summer though, I sold them all except this one here, my favorite. The art is fantastic...That double portrait in the foreground just sells this thing. I also like the three extra previews running along the bottom instead of the side here.

menace1-1.gif

#12 Mysterious Adventures 13

A man being consumed by fire and a woman trying to pull him back.

Hmmmm..... Could be a metaphor here guys. I think this is what happens when Precode comic collecting goes too far. hm I heard of a collector once who managed to obtain ever single precode book. After that happened, he was never heard from again. His wife said after he placed the final mylar protected book in the short box, she had stepped out of the room for a moment. After hearing a sudden large sound like a dumpster being dropped from a second story, she rushed back in to find her husband gone. Only his shoes remained on the floor. The comics were still all there...but no husband.

MystAdven13.gif

#11 Eerie Adventures 1

Ziff Davis put out a small collection of precode books but most of them were more scifi in nature. There were also a few issues of Nightmare which were superb and then this one shot here, Eerie Adventures. This was one of the first precode books I purchased when I started branching out from EC and discovering all the other GA horror publishers.

Similar to the Norman Saunders covers, I love it when paintings are used on comic covers. Especially when they are done so well. This painting along with the green title just screams.

Eerie-Adv.gif

Also, a cool thing about this book is the back cover. Instead of an advertisement for how to get fatter or how to get skinnier, we get this:

Eerie-Adv2.gif

And that is the end for Day 3!

Tomorrow starts the home stretch and the final ten. Any guesses?

Adventures Into The Unknown! # 33

Adventures into Weird Worlds # 6

Spellbound # 14

Spellbound # 17

(shrug):wishluck::applause:

Spellbound # 14

Spellbound # 17

Suspense 14

Chilling Tales 13 or 14

Crime Does Not Pay 33

Spellbound # 14

Spellbound # 17

Suspense 14

Chilling Tales 13 or 14

Crime Does Not Pay 33

No crime books! (tsk)

Spellbound # 14

Spellbound # 17

Suspense 14

Chilling Tales 13 or 14

Crime Does Not Pay 33

No crime books! (tsk)

It's a "Twisted" cover !

Spellbound # 14

Spellbound # 17

Suspense 14

Chilling Tales 13 or 14

Crime Does Not Pay 33

No crime books! (tsk)

It's a "Twisted" cover !

And I love it too, it's just that Christian decided not to include crime books. Only straight up horror. :sorry:

Spellbound # 14

Spellbound # 17

Suspense 14

Chilling Tales 13 or 14

Crime Does Not Pay 33

No crime books! (tsk)

It's a "Twisted" cover !

And I love it too, it's just that Christian decided not to include crime books. Only straight up horror. :sorry:

I know... Truth is I have another list Ive been working on for years that covers the best crime covers and that is where that one goes. I agree. It's a great book.

Lots more goodies to come.

I know... Truth is I have another list Ive been working on for years that covers the best crime covers and that is where that one goes. I agree. It's a great book.

Well stop reading all those Swamp Thing issues and get crackin'! :baiting:

Ps: did I guess any upcoming issues on your list? :shy:

Well stop reading all those Swamp Thing issues and get crackin'! :baiting:

Ps: did I guess any upcoming issues on your list? :shy:

None of those are on the list. :( I will say that the three Atlas books you mentioned were very strongly considered.....runners up if you will.

However, someone else guessed a book.....

Swamp Thing...I have been so busy I have read a total of 5 issues so far :P

Looking to speed things up this week though. We need to have another chat again soon. Ill send ya a PM.