• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,231 posts in this topic

Briefer did some great Frankenstein covers, but this one is my favorite.

Just recently read one of the Frankenstein reprint books and I love the stories also.

Frankenstein24x_zps192f6d69.jpg

Although Darth chose issue 18 for his list (which I also like), this is the cover I would have picked for the greater "chill" factor. A nice all around composition. The eerie reflection in the water is creepy and the cheek shading on the monster seems to elongate his mouth into a gruesome grin. (thumbs u

Just recently read one of the Frankenstein reprint books and I love the stories also.

Although Darth chose issue 18 for his list (which I also like), this is the cover I would have picked for the greater "chill" factor. A nice all around composition. The eerie reflection in the water is creepy and the cheek shading on the monster seems to elongate his mouth into a gruesome grin. (thumbs u

Ok... With that kind of sharp analysis, I'd like to see Jaymans top 25! Any one else?

Ok... With that kind of sharp analysis, I'd like to see Jaymans top 25! Any one else?

I'm afraid our lists would be all too similar except for these slight nit-pickings here and there. As Adamstrange mentioned, there could be 25 more that could fit into this twisted category. Certain covers pull out stronger reactions from collectors and you've got a keen eye spotting some of the best! Thanks again for putting this together. I will be looking forward to the next Twisted Turnout! (thumbs u

Mine seems to be in about the same condition as yours, but not as brilliant inks.

I think "Pool of Skeletons" is the best story; genuine pre-code, eh eh! :wink:

2m5ngqw.jpg

Congrats on having a nice copy of this book! I never even see low grade copies surface. This really is a scarce book. The "no-frills pch" Tales of Horror run has some tough ones. Is there a Spokane and/or Bethlehem Copy of this book out there? Maybe adamstrange has an answer?

There was no Spokane. There could be a Bethlehem but I don't know one way or another.

This was another great list of books! Thanks for sharing!

Big thanks to everyone for chiming in and reading. Lots of fun.

#5 Tales of Horror 8

How about a Toby book? One of the first precodes I bought and I am glad I did. I have never seen a nicer copy. VERY tough book. These Toby books also published the 3 issue series, Purple Claw and reprints some of those stories in here. They also recycled interior art for their covers like Superior. That is cheap and cheesy but I think that is the appeal with many of these...the cheese factor. So bad, its good. For some reason, this cover has always jumped out at me. Maybe it is the striking blood red background and a snake swaying open mouthed in the sky like some reptilian King Kong.

Anyway, not much more to say other thanI think this is a cover that would grab major attention if seen on a newstand.

TalesOfHorror8.gif

Great choice on this one as it been on my radar for quite a while now. Very iconic cover and did you look close and notice the ever so tiny ant sized victims falling from the snakes mouth. A very tough book to find in HG and I'm still searching...

I've had #8 on my list for a while also.

The cover image from #8 originally comes from the first story of issue #3.

TalesOfTerror3splash_zps64d15e4d.jpg

Like many Toby covers, it is recycled art. This time, the art was flopped and I like it better that way...makes for a good cover. Kind of like Horrific #3....

Yes, this Tales of Horror seems to be on a lot of want lists. I have yet to find a copy better than this one. There has to be some out there....just need to look harder I guess. Anyone have any copies, please post them. I would love to see a high grade or better yet, a high grade pedigree copy.

Thanks again for reading!

-Christian

I'm afraid our lists would be all too similar except for these slight nit-pickings here and there. As Adamstrange mentioned, there could be 25 more that could fit into this twisted category. Certain covers pull out stronger reactions from collectors and you've got a keen eye spotting some of the best! Thanks again for putting this together. I will be looking forward to the next Twisted Turnout! (thumbs u

I would put at least one of the Briefer's Frankensteins in a top 50 but am reasonably indifferent as to whether it is issue 18 or 24. I think a case easily be made for 19 as well with it's full-body image of Franky set in front of a classic haunted house/cemetery backdrop.

Frank19.jpg

I would put at least one of the Briefer's Frankensteins in a top 50 but am reasonably indifferent as to whether it is issue 18 or 24. I think a case easily be made for 19 as well with it's full-body image of Franky set in front of a classic haunted house/cemetery backdrop.

Frank19.jpg

:applause: That's another one of my favorites.

I just bought a copy last week that hasn't come in yet but it's not anywhere near as good as your spectacular copy.

By the way, I would love to see an adamstrange top 50 PCH list.

I'd second that! And great choice with the 19, one of my favorites for composition, color and atmosphere. Not exactly the creepiest cover but very pleasing to the eye. I smile every time I look at my copy! Got mine a couple years back from Four Color Comics.

Frankenstein19.jpg

Mine seems to be in about the same condition as yours, but not as brilliant inks.

2m5ngqw.jpg

Congrats on having a nice copy of this book! I never even see low grade copies surface. This really is a scarce book. The "no-frills pch" Tales of Horror run has some tough ones. Is there a Spokane and/or Bethlehem Copy of this book out there? Maybe adamstrange has an answer?

There was no Spokane. There could be a Bethlehem but I don't know one way or another.

This is the nicest copy I've been able to find.

Talesofhorror8_zps9562a58f.jpg

Edited by vaultkeeper

2m5ngqw.jpg

Seems I remember trying to slip that one out of the Vault but someone released the Hell-Hounds on me! :hi:

2m5ngqw.jpg

Seems I remember trying to slip that one out of the Vault but someone released the Hell-Hounds on me! :hi:

lol There was only one Hell-Hound.

That requires exceptional effort on the part of AdamStrange and can only occur in an especially tranquil location, free from the distractions and cares of everyday living. As soon as the KickStarter is funded for the 3 month stay at the Tahitian 5star resort, work will commence. It's not for me, it's for the children. :preach:

That requires exceptional effort on the part of AdamStrange and can only occur in an especially tranquil location, free from the distractions and cares of everyday living. As soon as the KickStarter is funded for the 3 month stay at the Tahitian 5star resort, work will commence. It's not for me, it's for the children. :preach:

lol

Understandable though. There are a lot of PCH books to choose from. Top 20 lists were done in the Centaur thread but that was a piece of cake comparatively.

2m5ngqw.jpg

my goodness, what a fantastic looking copy!