• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

Nice pickups!  Canadian printed books can be a bargain to purchase.  I know at least with the Canadian EC's I've bought, the interior inks are less bright and sharp, as compared to American copies.  Superior brand books are also noted for this.

Are you sure the Mr. Mystery was printed in Canada?  Any Canadian printed copies of American books I have display Canadian ads, and that one's BC has a New York address.   You might want to double check the indicia.

13 hours ago, fifties said:

Nice pickups!  Canadian printed books can be a bargain to purchase.  I know at least with the Canadian EC's I've bought, the interior inks are less bright and sharp, as compared to American copies.  Superior brand books are also noted for this.

Are you sure the Mr. Mystery was printed in Canada?  Any Canadian printed copies of American books I have display Canadian ads, and that one's BC has a New York address.   You might want to double check the indicia.

That's somewhat the problem; I didn't pay a bargain price (seller didn't disclose and probably didn't think to look) so wondering the difference.

The Mister Mystery #4 says PRINTED IN CANADA and is published by Media Publications (instead of Aragon).

The Mysterious Adventures #6 says PRINTED IN CANADA but is published by Story (same as US edition).

61E6BD82-A2B2-4EC4-91FC-B5600720238C.jpeg

Edited by manetteska
Added pic

2 hours ago, manetteska said:

That's somewhat the problem; I didn't pay a bargain price (seller didn't disclose and probably didn't think to look) so wondering the difference.

The Mister Mystery #4 says PRINTED IN CANADA and is published by Media Publications (instead of Aragon).

The Mysterious Adventures #6 says PRINTED IN CANADA but is published by Story (same as US edition).

You apparently paid full boat for what you thought were originals, and perhaps the seller as well, unless he's a professional dealer.  Interesting that it says, "Published...By Media Publications", and then, "printed in Canada".  I think the fact that the original publisher is listed, and the fact that it's number is correct (some Canadian printed American comics have a different issue number) would pretty well qualify it as the McCoy.  Same with the Mysterious Adventures if those two qualifications are met.  The American ads certainly would also point to being genuine.

31 minutes ago, fifties said:
3 hours ago, manetteska said:

You apparently paid full boat for what you thought were originals, and perhaps the seller as well, unless he's a professional dealer.  Interesting that it says, "Published...By Media Publications", and then, "printed in Canada".  I think the fact that the original publisher is listed, and the fact that it's number is correct (some Canadian printed American comics have a different issue number) would pretty well qualify it as the McCoy.  Same with the Mysterious Adventures if those two qualifications are met.  The American ads certainly would also point to being genuine.

Oh man, now I'm extra confused.

For the MM #4 I was going by the CGC label as I can't find any interior pictures for that book. The CGC label says Aragon Publishing, but MCS has it as Media Publishing.

Does anyone have indica shots of MM #4 or MA #6 with the US indica? Even the scanned version of MA #6 on comicbookplus is the Canadian version.

24 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Oh man, now I'm extra confused.

For the MM #4 I was going by the CGC label as I can't find any interior pictures for that book. The CGC label says Aragon Publishing, but MCS has it as Media Publishing.

Does anyone have indica shots of MM #4 or MA #6 with the US indica? Even the scanned version of MA #6 on comicbookplus is the Canadian version.

Relax, LOL.  I have runs of both titles.  I looked at my copies of each of those issues, and the indicia is the same; Media published Mr. Mystery, Story did Mysterious Adventures, and both were printed in Canada.  So you have the genuine versions. 

Apparently, comics that were both published and printed in Canada, which do not contain American ads on the inside FC or either side of the BC, are the lesser value items.

3 minutes ago, fifties said:

Relax, LOL.  I have runs of both titles.  I looked at my copies of each of those issues, and the indicia is the same; Media published Mr. Mystery, Story did Mysterious Adventures, and both were printed in Canada.  So you have the genuine versions. 

Apparently, comics that were both published and printed in Canada, which do not contain American ads on the inside FC or either side of the BC, are the lesser value items.

Thank you for taking the time to check your copies and provide me with more background. I always thought if it said "CANADA" anywhere it was not the same and, therefore, "lesser". So, even if it's printed in Canada, as long as it's published in America -- and has US ads -- I'm good.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Cool, underrated issue and series. You really got your dimes worth with those 52 page ones!

Exactly!  One of Atlas horror comics best reads.

Edited by fifties

Other favorites:

Adventures into Darkness (Nedor Comics)

Adventures into the Unknown (American Comics Group)

Baffling Mysteries (Ace Comics)

Beware (Trojan Magazines)

Beware! Terror Tales (Fawcett Comics)

The Beyond (Ace Comics)

Dark Mysteries (Master Comics)

Eerie Comics (Avon Periodicals)

Fantastic Fears (Ajax-Farrell)

Ghost Comics (Fiction House)

Haunted Thrills (Ajax-Farrell)

Journey into Fear (Superior Publishers Limited)

Nightmare (St. John)

Out of the Night (American Comics Group)

Startling Terror Tales (Star Publications)

Strange Suspense Stories (Fawcett Comics)

Tales of Horror (Toby Press)

The Thing (Charlton Comics)

Web of Mystery (Ace Comics)

Weird Thrillers (Ziff-Davis)