• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC grading prices?

32 posts in this topic

There is store near me that charges $27 to submit through them.

Dose that sound like a good price?

The book I want to get graded is a modern that probably no one but me cares about.

Thanks.

I think it sounds like you have all the information you need available. People have told you the costs, or linked you to websites telling you the rates and the rates for members and memberships, as well as shipping and insurance rates. I think we can trust you do the rest of the analysis yourself.

Whether or not its a good price for YOU is up to you, and how many other options are available TO YOU.

The book I want to get graded is a modern that probably no one but me cares about.

Thanks.

They are charging you $9 per book to sub a modern (not fast tracked) for you.

Or you could pay the $150 for membership, get a $150 credit and save that $9 fee on every book....and get a 10% discount.

Also, one more set of hands will be on your book.....the more people that handle a book before it is graded, the more chance you have of a book incurring spine ticks or what not.

How do you know that the store owner will pack your book(s) correctly for shipping?

Even if the book is packed correctly, all it takes is one 17 year old store employee to grab the spine of a book, thereby kicking in some color breaking spine ticks, dropping your 9.8 candidate to a 9.6.

Basically cutting the FMV of the book in half.

Do you want to spend $27 + whatever other fees your shop takes on for shipping and then wait 5 months, to get back a damaged book?

My advice is to cough up the $150 for membership and handle the subs yourself.

Same day received.

I've heard of someone dropping two books off at the offices in person right when they opened in the morning, and they picked them up after lunch. Maybe 4hrs?

I actually got a couple of books back from them two weeks ago that I only submitted yesterday.

Thanks.

I think it sounds like you have all the information you need available. People have told you the costs, or linked you to websites telling you the rates and the rates for members and memberships, as well as shipping and insurance rates. I think we can trust you do the rest of the analysis yourself.

Whether or not its a good price for YOU is up to you, and how many other options are available TO YOU.

Sorry Revat I didnt mean to ruffle your feathers.

Thanks.

no ruffling, I just don't think there's much more to it, the rest is basically up to your preferences and own specific circumstances, assuming you can do a bit of your own cost/benefit analysis.

Is $9 a good price for a burrito? Do I get chips? Are there other burrito places in the area? How good are they? Can I load up on the mexi-bar with salsas and chilies and onions? Do I have to pay tax and/or tip? What are the odds of stomach issues? Is that delivered to my house?

People could ask you more questions about shipping and insurance and tax trustworthiness of your shop owner or how many books you want to submit, but there's really no reason you wouldn't do that direct comparison on your own according to your own preferences.

Back in the hobby after 25 year absence. I just joined CGC for with the $150.00 deal. My first 11 books arrived yesterday. Did the Modern Sub for $18.00 a book. CGC was so blown away by my books (Defenders #1 that I'll be lucky to get a 7.5 and X-men 100 - 108, no #101, they may pull an 8.0 if I'm lucky) that I paid WAY TOO much for in the wild at some LCS in the cities I was in), that CGC gave me the "Dumb- award. They told me they were making a new Dumb- Label (DA) and I was the first recipient! :banana:

Yeah, it struck me that if you walk in, give them your book and $27, and come back several months later to collect your graded book that you got a good deal.

Basically you just paid $9 for 2-way shipping with only added risk that your LCS owner packaged poorly or damaged your book

But if there are add'l fees etc. and shipping, or if you have other books, it changes, and YMMV.

I submitted once early on, around 2001, and I'm getting ready to do it again probably.

When they are in San Antonio for a con in late October I'll probably bring along the paperwork and maybe a dozen (or 15, now) to save one-way shipping since I was going to the con for a day anyway.

Thanks.

Yea your right. I will just go ahead and submit through the store. The book is just one that I really like the cover on it. Plus I dont own any graded books anyway.

no ruffling, I just don't think there's much more to it, the rest is basically up to your preferences and own specific circumstances, assuming you can do a bit of your own cost/benefit analysis.

Is $9 a good price for a burrito? Do I get chips? Are there other burrito places in the area? How good are they? Can I load up on the mexi-bar with salsas and chilies and onions? Do I have to pay tax and/or tip? What are the odds of stomach issues? Is that delivered to my house?

People could ask you more questions about shipping and insurance and tax trustworthiness of your shop owner or how many books you want to submit, but there's really no reason you wouldn't do that direct comparison on your own according to your own preferences.