• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did single page Action #1 & Detective #27 first start appearing

23 posts in this topic

Curious when these first started showing up in the market place (CGC encapsulated single pages that is)

Was their a specific price point where people started believing this was worthwhile versus selling a beat up coverless or incomplete copy of the above books? Or was this initiated by someone who just had a chewed up copy and decided to try this out. I don't believe there are lots of these single pages floating around, but I see them pop up here on the forums and elsewhere from time to time.

Also curious if this may eventually happen for SA books that reach a certain price point like AF #15 at some point in the future.

I welcome all comments, insights and perspectives.

Warmest Regards,

Jason

Curious when these first started showing up in the market place (CGC encapsulated single pages that is)

Was their a specific price point where people started believing this was worthwhile versus selling a beat up coverless or incomplete copy of the above books? Or was this initiated by someone who just had a chewed up copy and decided to try this out. I don't believe there are lots of these single pages floating around, but I see them pop up here on the forums and elsewhere from time to time.

Also curious if this may eventually happen for SA books that reach a certain price point like AF #15 at some point in the future.

Warmest Regards,

Jason

i predicted this in 2009.

most on here went 'naahh aint gonna happen'

rest is history.

Warmest Regards,

Jason

AF 15 pages started appearing on GPA 4 years ago. There have been at least 6 page that have sold.

Personally, I am in the midst of selling most of a Cap 1 page by page. I have done VERY well so far. The pages were already separated at the spine when I got them which made it an easy choice for me.

Warmest Regards,

Jason

i predicted this in 2009.

most on here went 'naahh aint gonna happen'

rest is history.

I seem to remember single graded pages being in circulation before 2009 (shrug)

As for AF15 pages being 'individualized'. This possibly may happen because the book continues to climb in value and the average collector is eventually going to be priced out of ever owning one.

But you can't really compare AF15 to Tec 27 & Action 1 because AF15 is as common as muck and Tec 27 & Action 1 are as rare as rocking horse doo-doo 2c

Personally, I hate the idea.

+1

"Hate" is not strong enough. I already loathed it when I learned people used for decades to have prints removed from renaissance books – as much one might understand the desire to own "something", applied to scarce comics it’s… :sick:

I am not a big fan of breaking up books in to single pages either, but breaking up a single item into many for resale is something I have seen before (Many Japanese woodblock prints for example were once part of a complete book)

I agree that AF#15 is common relative to Action #1 or Detective #27, but if even a 0.5 cruddy copy gets to 20K+ (it could happen?), then maybe single page sales are something that would start happening.

Appreciate everyone's perspectives folks and thank you for sharing.

Jason

I am not a big fan of breaking up books in to single pages either, but breaking up a single item into many for resale is something I have seen before (Many Japanese woodblock prints for example were once part of a complete book)

That’s what I was alluding to with 16th or 17th century books, I am against both concepts, be them books or comics, and strictly speaking it's not about being common or not, although the fact that these are scarce makes the matter even worse.

I am not questioning the prices (I would never buy a book so costly), it’s the spare pages concept that shreds the book into pieces…

I don't like the idea of separating pages that aren't loose, but if they are already all loose then that's another thing. It's all about money anyway with those issues and if I had an action 1 or detective 27 with loose pages and I could get more selling the pages separately I would do it in a heartbeat. I personally have no interest in those issues so I would sell them for as much as I could, whole or separate and get comics I do want.

im not an individual page guy, i think breaking books if they are intact is a travesty. but i get that everyone has different collecting preferences.

let me ask you guys this. my tec 29 is up in the clink auction that starts today. the batman story could be broken up into individual pages as the wraps were split and loose. its a frankenbook for sure. in this example would i have been better off selling the bat pages individually? is tec 29 key enough to sell individual pages?

Personally I don't see a Tec 29 selling individual pages of the bats story for much. When it comes to individual slabbed pieces Action 1 and Tec 27 are the ones that are only garnering thousands per page that I am aware of (and that's brittle pages in many cases fyi)

Ive seen a Cap 1 page go for as much as a 1k (cap, bucky, and redskull appearing in the panels with a cool action shot of the old shield) a tec 27 page (page 3 --which is the best page IMO) go for as much as 7k and a few Action 1 pages of the Supes story go quite high (thousands for page with Supes and 5 figures for page 1 (origin story) and and page 5 (Supes lifting the car)

Now if someone needed a centerfold or 1 page to complete a book on one of the above it might go for quite a bit. One more thing, Bat 1 books have been selling pieces for years but once again not moving for more than a few hundred (if they move at all)