• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much of your art do you post on CAF?

77 posts in this topic

Many CAF members I know just post up commissions and sketches, as well as any prelims, and the unpublished material to share, and refrain from putting up published pieces that remain with a "black hole collector" status since in truth, although the B&W line art is aesthetic, the colored version is available to see, so it's not as interesting of new material to share, coupled by the discretion a lot of collectors want to maintain with the privacy of their collection. Plus, it becomes a burden to scan and post for many along with those who can't read the NFS status and relentlessly inquire, especially with published art more so than with custom commissions.

I think CAF is a great site for sharing 'tho.

All of it, assuming it's in hand and not in transit, as I have some pieces now not listed for this reason.

I cannot fathom how some of you are able to collect 1000+ pieces of art. At that point, is money a complete non-issue and you'd simply prefer to have a piece [potentially] forgotten about, buried in a portfolio over the cash value? Not trying to come off judgemental, I just don't understand it :\

Some of you will hate this: I'm one of those people who messages "NFS" posters, because I've acquired a number of pieces this way :)

All of it, assuming it's in hand and not in transit, as I have some pieces now not listed for this reason.

I cannot fathom how some of you are able to collect 1000+ pieces of art. At that point, is money a complete non-issue and you'd simply prefer to have a piece [potentially] forgotten about, buried in a portfolio over the cash value? Not trying to come off judgemental, I just don't understand it :\

Some of you will hate this: I'm one of those people who messages "NFS" posters, because I've acquired a number of pieces this way :)

How long have you been collecting?

I've been at it about 25 years, maybe longer. There are plenty of guys here that have been at it longer than I have. Buy a few complete stories. Commission a few guys a year. Scoop up 5-15 pieces per auction, maybe more, in those early years and you'll find it's far easier to accumulate 1,000 pieces of art than it is to pare down the collection after you've been rolling for that long in acquisitions.

As someone who started slow and only had a handful of pieces the first few years, I am surprised that I got to basically 1,000

It's not that hard if you have been at it awhile, although I'm not as old as Caira, I't sonly been 17 years for me :P

Malvin

As someone who started slow and only had a handful of pieces the first few years, I am surprised that I got to basically 1,000

It's not that hard if you have been at it awhile, although I'm not as old as Caira, I't sonly been 17 years for me :P

Malvin

:frustrated:

I started when I was three years old...a comic art prodigy.

I've been at it about 25 years, maybe longer. There are plenty of guys here that have been at it longer than I have. Buy a few complete stories. Commission a few guys a year. Scoop up 5-15 pieces per auction, maybe more, in those early years and you'll find it's far easier to accumulate 1,000 pieces of art than it is to pare down the collection after you've been rolling for that long in acquisitions.

And not every page is $1000 + (Not in my case, anyway)

I have been collecting for 30 years, and I have over 1000 pieces of art. I started out only buying a handful of pages a year but the past few years I have been buying alot. Some times I will buy a bunch of pages from an artist who has kept alot of his or her art. Its really easy to acquire a large collection, impulse buys really add up and those are usually not that expensive. Its harder to be more selective at times.

Little over two years?...which I suppose answers my own question lol.

Little over two years?...which I suppose answers my own question lol.

Well, you've picked up some very nice pieces over that time. It was easier (cheaper) in the 90's and 2000's to pick up stacks from artists who'd retained their artwork. Pages that are $2k a piece now were $100 or less a piece then. The decision to buy 20-30 pages was pretty easy then. Today, it would involve an equity line.

For every single reason stated previously by others, controversial and not, I have less than 1/10th of 1% up. What I do have up isn't even all comic/illustration art. It is what it is, but I am striving to share more now than in the past. Ye olde schedule is freeing up again soon, there will be updates...gold/silver/strip/illustration/lowbrow/underground/domestic/foreign/whoknowswhatelse...eventually... ;)

Eeek , your poor scanner. Judging by what you've got posted, if that's 1/10th of 1%, that means you've got 60-something thousand different pieces of art. Yikes. If I had that much artwork I wouldn't post it either. That's too much work. You'd probably break caf's bandwidth budget too.

Been offline since Sunday morning. That was Day One of moving. Still moving. It's been a challenge. The most recent truck ran into problems crossing state line at 30,000 lbs as the truck was only rated for 27,000. So the moving company had to send another truck and split the load. (That's what they get for trying to slip one by, but somehow I'm the one that ends up paying for the extra hours and truck!) It's all kind of stupid at a macro level like that. But I love art and have never let the verisimilitude of rational collecting get in the way of a good buy.

The Move will not be complete until late next week. (Assuming no further moving company mishaps.) Which has absolutely nothing to do with unpacking and reorganizing! It'll be a long winter ;)

The new space is beautiful and I'm determined not to corrupt it with clutter. So more will go out than comes in, go forward. And I will never move again. Both are certainties.

Bronty is right. Flat stacks of works on paper interleaved with wax paper or even in portfolios take up much less space than framed paintings!