• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much of your art do you post on CAF?

77 posts in this topic

So this is my 2nd post here and while I have been collecting for a little while I only started posting art in the past week (on CAF). I am trying to decide how much to post.

Wondering what you guys do, or what mental process you go through to decide what pieces from your collection to post or how many?

A poll is not a bad idea. Not sure how to set up, but I was less interested in hard #s than in the thoughts about it or behind it. Part of what motivated me to post art was the collections on CAF of many of the posters on this board.

I selected "some of my collection ..." but not for the reason attached to the poll option. I haven't tallied what is on vs what is off but I would suspect that I have somewhere between 30-40% of my collection of CAF. No good reason other than I don't have a scanner and bad phone pics bother me somewhat.

So this is my 2nd post here and while I have been collecting for a little while I only started posting art in the past week (on CAF). I am trying to decide how much to post.

Wondering what you guys do, or what mental process you go through to decide what pieces from your collection to post or how many?

No real mental process for me. I post everything I own. The whole point of art is for it to be seen. Hiding it away defeats half the reason for art to exist. So, I post it all. I know some hide theirs, due to fear of it being stolen, or annoyance of the hassle of being asked to sell. But those are petty gripes, which really, IMO, are so unimportant that they are hardly worth the bother to mention. To me, if you have art to show, then you show it. That's part of its purpose. It's just that simple.

I have all of mine posted, but I own less than 10 pieces and have access to a large format scanner, so it's no big deal for me. I like being able to browse my own collection online. I'm also not really concerned with keeping items fresh, nor do I have to deal with constant inquiries since I pretty much just play in the shallow end of the hobby.

^ interesting point hey? I think the worst pieces and then the very best pieces are the ones most likely to be unposted.

ie

- no one would be interested, or

- I don't want anyone to know

I have everything (I think) uploaded to CAF, but it's not all active.

I'll de-activate a pice for a couple of different reasons. Mostly because having too many folders with too many pieces within them just seems overwhelming to me (but, ironically owning the pages does not (shrug) ) So, if a page has been posted for a few months and doesn't have many views I'll just de-activate it. I may activate it later just to give the under-viewed some exposure.

I also think if a single folder has more than say 3 pages nothing gets looked at. As other have said, art is meant to be shared and seen, so I cull what's viewable because I think less art is viewed more. Regardless of how many pieces i have active it seems if I refresh my dashboard view after 30 minutes or so the view count will go up.

On that note, I'd love for CAF to add a feature on the dashboard of "10 most recently viewed pieces" :wishluck: