• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help!

16 posts in this topic

Right i need some help. I recently bought a bronze age horror comic off ebay. I got it in the post today but the insufficiently_thoughtful_person put it in a padded envelope that was two small for it! Thankfulyl the comic wasnt bent or damaged due to mishandling i nthe post office. What did happen though was the flap on the envelope had been stuxck down onto the back of the comic. When taking the comic out i had to un-stick it! Thankfully none of the comic came away with the envelope, quite the other way roudn infact. there is now a thin line of sticky residue left over fro mthe label of the envelope which i can't get off. I was wondering if any of you guys knew what to do without damaging the comic? if there is anything that can be done frown.gif

So the book was just in the envelope? No bag or board? No "cardboard sandwhich"?

Email the seller and tell him what happened. See if he'll refund some of your money for lousy packaging.

If not, tell him you want to return the book for a refund.

Hit him with a nuetral if he does that. If not, neg him. thumbsup2.gif

Oh yeah, don't buy from him again. Who was it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So the book was just in the envelope? No bag or board? No "cardboard sandwhich"?

Email the seller and tell him what happened. See if he'll refund some of your money for lousy packaging.

If not, tell him you want to return the book for a refund.

Hit him with a nuetral if he does that. If not, neg him. thumbsup2.gif

Oh yeah, don't buy from him again. Who was it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, the comic was just in a padded envelope, no card, no bag not even a sign on the envelope saying "do not bend"! It was just a guy clearing out his attic. he didnt know any better about the bag but he must have known it might have gotten bent or damaged. It's a miracle the book survived without being bent. The only damage is that sticky stuff on the book now. I emailed him and he offered me a refund and allowed me to keep the book. smile.gif You guys know any method for taking this stuff off? Or has this book been permanently destroyed by creless packaging frown.gif

This was the auction. It's not too much of a loss for me but i hate to see a good book ruined by carelesness.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

In the auction he states it was stored in a bag for 25 years. Why would he remove it from the bag to ship? confused.gif

Take the refund, keep the book. Probably not going to be able to get the goo off w/out further damaging the book. frown.gif

In the auction he states it was stored in a bag for 25 years. Why would he remove it from the bag to ship? confused.gif

Take the refund, keep the book. Probably not going to be able to get the goo off w/out further damaging the book. frown.gif

I don't get it either? The thign that gets me is the envelope was so blatently too small!

Look how much the comic sticks out! he actually GLUED the flap ON TO the comic! frustrated.gif

argh.jpg

argh2.jpg

*sniff* Ahh well, i suppose it's the risk you take when you buy from these people. It was cheap, i'll read it and toss it back on ebay stating it's condition. SHould be a good read though laugh.gif

That's just sick. It's funny how many people are happy to sell comics - often at significant prices - and then pretend that the comic's condition doesn't mean anything to the buyer. Okay, so you're not a comic book dealer - when someone coughs up $30 or $300 for the "junk" from your attic, doesn't that tell you they're expecting decent packaging and that the comic should arrive in the same condition as advertised? Do you think I'm paying you $50 for the book simply to read it? Hello?

As for the sticky residue, there are ways to remove this stuff... I believe most of them involve exposure to heat, such as from a hair dryer. Probably worth a try, since the book's worthless at this juncture anyway.

That's just sick. It's funny how many people are happy to sell comics - often at significant prices - and then pretend that the comic's condition doesn't mean anything to the buyer. Okay, so you're not a comic book dealer - when someone coughs up $30 or $300 for the "junk" from your attic, doesn't that tell you they're expecting decent packaging and that the comic should arrive in the same condition as advertised? Do you think I'm paying you $50 for the book simply to read it? Hello?

As for the sticky residue, there are ways to remove this stuff... I believe most of them involve exposure to heat, such as from a hair dryer. Probably worth a try, since the book's worthless at this juncture anyway.

Brilliant, ive got my girlfriend blasting the sticky stuff on the back with a hairdryer as i type! I was gutted when i saw it, well pissed off! I mean who puts something in an envelope if it doesnt fit? Doesnt make sense! Arghh! I will report on how the de-stickying goes! Cheers for the info garth!

I heard that lighter fluid works. But don't ask me how. I wouldn't know how to go about doing that without wrecking the book. You might ask the stamp collectors out there. I know they use lighter fluid with stamps for something.

BTW; What was the seller charging you for postage?

I usually stay away for the ones asking for a buck or two for postage. They're the ones that usually send stuff as cheeply as possible and then the item gets damaged. If he asked for a good chunk of change for postage and sent like that, I'd complain.

I heard that lighter fluid works. But don't ask me how. I wouldn't know how to go about doing that without wrecking the book. You might ask the stamp collectors out there. I know they use lighter fluid with stamps for something.

BTW; What was the seller charging you for postage?

I usually stay away for the ones asking for a buck or two for postage. They're the ones that usually send stuff as cheeply as possible and then the item gets damaged. If he asked for a good chunk of change for postage and sent like that, I'd complain.

He charged me a pound. which isnt as bad as some people charge. But i have NEVER had a comic posted this badly before. Some peopel just wrap them i npaper and hope for the best but at least the paper covers the book!

Thats great thinking with the postage! I'll definetly use that thinkign i nfuture laugh.gif

(Garth the hairdryer is working! I owe you a pint man smile.gif)

I heard that lighter fluid works. But don't ask me how.

Lighter fluid is a mixture of Butane and Propane. Butane is an organic solvent that will dissolve adhesives like the ones on envelopes.

Keep in mind that whenever you expose paper to a solvent like that, you're going to leave tide lines behind. The solvent migrates through the paper very easily and you'll have "ring around the adhesive stain," which is bad.

Lighter fluid is a mixture of Butane and Propane. Butane is an organic solvent that will dissolve adhesives like the ones on envelopes.

Keep in mind that whenever you expose paper to a solvent like that, you're going to leave tide lines behind. The solvent migrates through the paper very easily and you'll have "ring around the adhesive stain," which is bad.

well the hair dryer seemed to work. All the sticky stuff is off and all the remains is a faint line of where it used to be. I know this will have brought the comic quite a bit down in it's grade but thanks to garth i'll probably keep it now instead of sticking it back on ebay smile.gif

Cheers for your help and info though guys. Much appreciated smile.gif

Reminds me of when a guy sent me an X-Men #4 stuck on one of those cardboard inserts they use on dress shirts, wrapped in paper towels and mailed in a stapled manila file folder. 893whatthe.gif Glad the book was on a GD/VG to begin with.

A freind of mine got a carded Matchbox car sent to him in a used pizza box. He has scrape cheese off the card. foreheadslap.gif

hail.gif

You have to just send these back - i once received a run of Cerebus, bought as Mint, and each comic had obviously been completely submerged in water at one point - or is it normal to grade while bathing?