• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just saw a cgc 2.5 AF 15 for sale, asking $11K!!

91 posts in this topic

Agreed. Get one while you can these low grades are selling at what would be considered crazy prices just a couple years ago

I guess. I'd like to look at a nice book tho. Not one that's all torn up. IMHO, not saying it's not a wise investment to buy a lower grade AF15, just not for me.

Missed the boat as usual.

Pass.

The avid "must have it" of my collector side clashed against my rational side and lost; AF15 is way too rich for my blood, could instead buy dozens of important books that will be more satisfying for me to own than chasing that particular grail.

But happy for those with copies, good luck and excelsior! [may the laws of gravity never impinge.]

But when you see Tec #32 (The famous castle cover, I think it's #32) that sells for a 28k at 1.5 at a recent auction or single pages of books selling for money, I completely understand the investment angle in a low grade AF15 copy

I mean it is the silver age monster to get. Once spidey gets more involved with upcoming movies we may be kicking ourselves for not getting these at the prices now

I'd love to have one. Is it possible the price may come down or plummet all together? It's a big hypothetical since no one knows the future.

I'd say if Spidey's first app. plummets it's probably the last thing to go in the complete and utter destruction of the comic market. lol

yeahhhh...Ill be collecting more than ever!

But when you see Tec #32 (The famous castle cover, I think it's #32) that sells for a 28k at 1.5 at a recent auction or single pages of books selling for money, I completely understand the investment angle in a low grade AF15 copy

Fair points, but those are actually scarce, sometimes even rare, books.

To be clear, I don't think Spidey's gonna tank (just completed my 2-400 run). I just have zero interest to take money from my bank in exchange for his first appearance, at that point (current mkt prices) my collector-driven impulses are put in check (and the 'I'd rather have the money' wins out).

Fair points, but those are actually scarce, sometimes even rare, books.

To be clear, I don't think Spidey's gonna tank (just completed my 2-400 run). I just have zero interest to take money from my bank in exchange for his first appearance, at that point (current mkt prices) my collector-driven impulses are put in check (and the 'I'd rather have the money' wins out).

nice job on the run. congrats! I'm reading through the first spiderman omnibus and looking forward to the 2nd omnibus this fall (starts with the Romita issues.)

I'm really getting into it. Great stories, great art. Really takes me back to a simpler time in my life: reminiscing about the people and places of my childhood that are gone forever...

nice job on the run. congrats! I'm reading through the first spiderman omnibus and looking forward to the 2nd omnibus this fall (starts with the Romita issues.)

I'm really getting into it. Great stories, great art. Really takes me back to a simpler time in my life: reminiscing about the people and places of my childhood that are gone forever...

Thanks! I was thrilled when I got the #2 last month, and recently got a #9 to finish it off (past few months since I came back I picked up 2 and 6-15).

I'm re-reading the run too, using digital copies mostly (when I don't have a reader copy, or dip into a masterworks or omnibus on occasion). I'm up to mid-60s (already bittersweet about the building Gwen relationship). It truly does transport me back.

Thanks! I was thrilled when I got the #2 last month, and recently got a #9 to finish it off (past few months since I came back I picked up 2 and 6-15).

I'm re-reading the run too, using digital copies mostly (when I don't have a reader copy, or dip into a masterworks or omnibus on occasion). I'm up to mid-60s (already bittersweet about the building Gwen relationship). It truly does transport me back.

love to see photos of your run if that sort of thing is possible and you've got the inclination. I love hearing "collecting runs" stories. Pics is icing on the cake!

congrats again

tough call. to buy or not to buy. 2 ways to look at it.

1. you missed the boat and are now stuck on a deserted island full of everything else you could want at the price you'd like to pay for an AF 15 in great shape and will have to settle for reprints and hope that ship sails back around some day.

2. The boat is still at the docks but all the ocean view seats are sold out and there's still below deck seating being sold but at the same price as the ocean view seats or higher and is expected to keep going up until:

A. the last seat is filled and the ship sails to the next island

OR

B. people start trading in their seats for stuff on the island they like better

You can ride that boat for as long as you like, can possibly trade up but no guarantees on being able to get off when you want and get a full refund but you'll miss out on all the other opportunities the islands might have to offer.

My advice. If you don't mind a detached cover and maybe a piece missing from the back cover, find the best looking/presenting 2.0-4.0 copy or a non-trimmed restored copy. I suspect, however, trimmed copies will be getting further out of reach if demand continues to rise.

Thanks bud!

That's an undertaking I could certainly get behind. Will take a bit of time and thought how to best achieve it (display with mix of raw w a few slabs).

You should see some of the runs in the ASM collectors thread in the Silver Forum - a fellow named Moore has an amazing run in (at least) 9.2s of #1-20, I'm almost embarrassed since I'm likely months away from getting even a lower grade copy of ASM #1. Probably I'll go after other wants like FF 1, 4 etc.

As to my "run", I have several encased in slabs, like my #3 and #11 missing from this pic (plus one issue is out of order, and this pic was before I got my #9). But here's a teaser I had handy.

Good luck in your hunt !!

NeZmrYU.jpg

I mean it is the silver age monster to get. Once spidey gets more involved with upcoming movies we may be kicking ourselves for not getting these at the prices now

I'd love to have one. Is it possible the price may come down or plummet all together? It's a big hypothetical since no one knows the future.

Yes

Almost every book fell in the last recession. Hulk #181 in 9.8 never recovered.

Thanks bud!

That's an undertaking I could certainly get behind. Will take a bit of time and thought how to best achieve it (display with mix of raw w a few slabs).

You should see some of the runs in the ASM collectors thread in the Silver Forum - a fellow named Moore has an amazing run in (at least) 9.2s of #1-20, I'm almost embarrassed since I'm likely months away from getting even a lower grade copy of ASM #1. Probably I'll go after other wants like FF 1, 4 etc.

As to my "run", I have several encased in slabs, like my #3 and #11 missing from this pic (plus one issue is out of order, and this pic was before I got my #9). But here's a teaser I had handy.

Good luck in your hunt !!

NeZmrYU.jpg

Ha! I'm reading those issues right now. I'm up to issue 7, return of The Vulture!

Yes

What did it use to price at before recession? After Recession? I'll check GPA. Not sure how far they go back, just signed up. The 2008 recession? (2006?)

Yes

GPA:

Hulk 181 9.8: 2016 - $13,866

2009 - $26,501

Yes

What did it use to price at before recession? After Recession? I'll check GPA. Not sure how far they go back, just signed up. The 2008 recession? (2006?)

And we might want to check the census, before and after, as most collectible assets in comics and comic art were actually recession hedges for people looking for a place to park cash waiting for the market to rebound.

Usually high end of the grade spectrum books will decline, not due to external economic factors, but increased supply negating the rarity premium that may have been once applied.

Yes

GPA:

Hulk 181 9.8: 2016 - $13,866

2009 - $26,501

That's not the average for 2009, that's the high water mark.

There were a pair of 26k sales in 2009, and the most of the rest of the sales for that year were in the 15k-16k range. It's stayed flat to down from that range, but the cache of having a "rare" 9.8 is mostly gone with that book.

It's probably more useful, if were' talking about low grade to pay attention to the same time span for AF 15. And to look pre-recession, 2006 for example as it was a peak year for many indicies, to see if that really had any impact

AF 15 hi-lo for each year....

2006 $1,525Hi $1,025Lo

2009 $2,899Hi $1,924Lo

2010 $2,750Hi $1,863Lo

2011 $3,995Hi $2,633Lo

2012 $4,250Hi $3,050Lo

2013 $4,800Hi $3,333Lo

2014 $5,000Hi (only 1 sale)

2015 $8,000Hi $4,541Lo

2016 $9,750Hi $7,644Lo

2006 $1,972Hi $1,347Lo

2009 $3,800Hi $2,662Lo

2010 $3,300Hi $2,650Lo

2011 $4,950Hi $2,550Lo

2012 $3,800Hi only 1 sale

2013 $5,795Hi $4,183Lo

2014 $6,200Hi $4,544Lo

2015 $9,600Hi only 1 sale

2016 $12,000Hi $8,240Lo

2006 $3,530Hi $2,500Lo

2009 $5,300Hi $3,499Lo

2010 $4,950Hi $3,550Lo

2011 $5,605Hi $4,020Lo

2012 $6,995Hi $4,583Lo

2013 $8,000Hi $5,800Lo

2014 $10,000Hi $6,500Lo

2015 $13,995Hi $10,000Lo

2016 $12,500Hi $10,158Lo

So, while there's been a serious run the last 4 years on these books....they are all significantly higher than pre-recession and actually increased materially within it.