• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just saw a cgc 2.5 AF 15 for sale, asking $11K!!

91 posts in this topic

I have to wonder how many are actually changing hands right now.

I would have to say quite a few since 4 copies just changed hands earlier this week on the CC auction website, and another 4 copies are set to go in CL's auction next week.

In addition, we have the following comment from one of the board members here:

Great book, wouldn't be my first pick for investment considering how much its gone up recently and how there seems to be about 50+ for sale at any given time.

I am sure this 50+ count is a bit of an exaggeration, but there are always copies of this book out there in the marketplace. hm

I just counted. On E-bay alone there are 46 copies. Grahamcrackers has 3 for sale. Comiclink has 4, Highgrade comics has 5. There might be a little overlap, but without really trying you can find over 50.

Yes

Almost every book fell in the last recession. Hulk #181 in 9.8 never recovered.

Actually, many highest graded books did not fall in price.

Hulk #181 CGC 9.9 sold for a record price ($150K), as did many other 9.9 copies.

Hulk #181 CGC 9.8 dropped, but prices have continued to rise in all other grades up to 9.6. The same can be said for many other key books that people use as tide marks.

GL #76 dropped in highest grades but like other books continues to sell strong in lower grades up to the nosebleeds.

Hey Roy;

Remind me to never hire you as my lawyer for anything. :baiting:

First, you make a statement. Then you present examples which prove the exact opposite of your initial statement. :flamed:lol

I stated that not all highest graded books fell in price. Some (like Hero For Hire and Werewolf by Night) have actually risen.

And while people were discussing #181 9.8, the highest graded Hulk #181 is not a 9.8. It's a 9.9

And while some highest graded books fall in price, the fact that lower grades continue to rise only puts pressure on those highest grades forcing them to plateau and eventually rise up again.

Hey Roy;

It's so easy to :baiting: you sometimes. Note that it's all in fun and games though. :D

Like I had stated in another thread, HH #1 going up to $24K has everything to do with the movie and TV related hype and absolutely nothing at all to do with it being the highest graded copy. In fact, the highest graded copies of HH #1 had actually gone down in price from $3,500 down to the low $2K's by 2013:

This would indicate that the recent move up to the $24K price range has absolutely nothing at all to do with it being the highest graded copy when you had sold it. In fact, it's really more about all of the movie and TV related hype over the past few years which has pushed this book into the $24K price range for now.

So, it's not just the highest graded copy when it comes to increases for movie and TV hyped books, but copies in all grades across the entire condition spectrum. hm

My bet is that the story on both the HH #1 and Werewolf by Night 32 is not yet over, and you will see significant price decreases on the highest graded copies of these 2 books going forward. Ok, so WBN 32 might still have a bit of upside to go, but will drop back down eventually.

As for Hulk 181, I was referring to the fact that the 9.8 copy used to the single highest graded copy and has now moved down in price with the arrival of the 9.9 copy along with several more 9.8 copies. At the same time, I also don't believe the $150K price would hold for the 9.9 copy if another 9.9 or higher copy came into the marketplace. In fact, I don't even know if the $150K would hold right now if this single highest graded copy re-enter into the marketplace, given how many more additional 9.8 copies there are out there now as compared to before. hm(shrug)

I believe that when it comes to the lower grades, you are really paying more for the book itself, as opposed to the label. When it comes to the single highest graded copy, you are really paying much more for the label which has more of a transitory value, depending upon other copies coming into the marketplace. This is the reason why prices are increasing significantly across the entire condition spectrum for all copies of Hulk 181, and yet not really so much at the extreme uber HG levels as more copies make their way into the marketplace. hm

Of course, it's probably not a good idea to take my advice sometimes, as this was the exact reason why I turned down a uber HG run of ASM #2 to #10 for the grand sum of $1,000. This was back in 1988 when the SA books were just about to dig themselves out of the quicksand which they had been mired in for several years, and go on their extended bull market run which seemingly is still continuing to this day. :censored:

I think this same run made it's rounds about 15 years later as I remember a run like this being offered in Canada in the early 2000's.

Was the asking price still only at $1,000 15 years later? lol:takeit:

Seriously though, I strongly doubt it would be the same set. The set which I passed on went instead to Geppi, the Dentist, then to Steve Hunt, etc. Not exactly sure as to the exact order or where it eventually ended up at.

Maybe I'll ask Dave the next time I talk to him, although it's been a few years since I last talked to him and I keep forgetting when I do. doh!

Of course, it's probably not a good idea to take my advice sometimes, as this was the exact reason why I turned down a uber HG run of ASM #2 to #10 for the grand sum of $1,000. This was back in 1988 when the SA books were just about to dig themselves out of the quicksand which they had been mired in for several years, and go on their extended bull market run which seemingly is still continuing to this day. :censored:

I think this same run made it's rounds about 15 years later as I remember a run like this being offered in Canada in the early 2000's.

Was the asking price still only at $1,000 15 years later? lol:takeit:

Seriously though, I strongly doubt it would be the same set. The set which I passed on went instead to Geppi, the Dentist, then to Steve Hunt, etc. Not exactly sure as to the exact order or where it eventually ended up at.

Maybe I'll ask Dave the next time I talk to him, although it's been a few years since I last talked to him and I keep forgetting when I do. doh!

I think the asking price from one book (raw) from that run was something like $8K.

From what I remember, Roy Braks (sp?) was involved with the deal.

Yes

Almost every book fell in the last recession. Hulk #181 in 9.8 never recovered.

Actually, many highest graded books did not fall in price.

Hulk #181 CGC 9.9 sold for a record price ($150K), as did many other 9.9 copies.

Hulk #181 CGC 9.8 dropped, but prices have continued to rise in all other grades up to 9.6. The same can be said for many other key books that people use as tide marks.

GL #76 dropped in highest grades but like other books continues to sell strong in lower grades up to the nosebleeds.

Hey Roy;

Remind me to never hire you as my lawyer for anything. :baiting:

First, you make a statement. Then you present examples which prove the exact opposite of your initial statement. :flamed:lol

I stated that not all highest graded books fell in price. Some (like Hero For Hire and Werewolf by Night) have actually risen.

And while people were discussing #181 9.8, the highest graded Hulk #181 is not a 9.8. It's a 9.9

And while some highest graded books fall in price, the fact that lower grades continue to rise only puts pressure on those highest grades forcing them to plateau and eventually rise up again.

Hey Roy;

It's so easy to :baiting: you sometimes. Note that it's all in fun and games though. :D

Like I had stated in another thread, HH #1 going up to $24K has everything to do with the movie and TV related hype and absolutely nothing at all to do with it being the highest graded copy. In fact, the highest graded copies of HH #1 had actually gone down in price from $3,500 down to the low $2K's by 2013:

This would indicate that the recent move up to the $24K price range has absolutely nothing at all to do with it being the highest graded copy when you had sold it. In fact, it's really more about all of the movie and TV related hype over the past few years which has pushed this book into the $24K price range for now.

So, it's not just the highest graded copy when it comes to increases for movie and TV hyped books, but copies in all grades across the entire condition spectrum. hm

My bet is that the story on both the HH #1 and Werewolf by Night 32 is not yet over, and you will see significant price decreases on the highest graded copies of these 2 books going forward. Ok, so WBN 32 might still have a bit of upside to go, but will drop back down eventually.

As for Hulk 181, I was referring to the fact that the 9.8 copy used to the single highest graded copy and has now moved down in price with the arrival of the 9.9 copy along with several more 9.8 copies. At the same time, I also don't believe the $150K price would hold for the 9.9 copy if another 9.9 or higher copy came into the marketplace. In fact, I don't even know if the $150K would hold right now if this single highest graded copy re-enter into the marketplace, given how many more additional 9.8 copies there are out there now as compared to before. hm(shrug)

I believe that when it comes to the lower grades, you are really paying more for the book itself, as opposed to the label. When it comes to the single highest graded copy, you are really paying much more for the label which has more of a transitory value, depending upon other copies coming into the marketplace. This is the reason why prices are increasing significantly across the entire condition spectrum for all copies of Hulk 181, and yet not really so much at the extreme uber HG levels as more copies make their way into the marketplace. hm

Sure, all of those things hold true but the same can be said for any sort of 'investment'.

"Well, I bought this stock and it's a sure thing to go up" and then something happens and the stock drops.

Life is a gamble. Everyone wants to mitigate their risks but only a select few rise above everyone else.

If people don't want risk but a sure thing like something with a guarantee. But also don't complain or get green eyed when someone takes a huge risk and it pays off big.

Many people only see the huge wins. Very few people gloat about their huge losses.

Is the fact that there are 50 (or close to 50, let's say a lot) available for sale on any given day a bad sign for those looking to invest in a copy of AF15?

In order to answer that question you'd need to know how many people were in the market for an AF 15.

And with a book like AF 15 where the price range could be between $5,000 and $1 million or more, depending on grade, you'd need to know how many people are in the market for books at several grade and price levels to answer that question.

For books that no one give a squirt about, 1 copy on the market is too much.

For the most popular books, 50 copies might not even begin to sate demand.

So "a lot" is a relative term compared to demand.

I would have to say quite a few since 4 copies just changed hands earlier this week on the CC auction website, and another 4 copies are set to go in CL's auction next week.

Great book, wouldn't be my first pick for investment considering how much its gone up recently and how there seems to be about 50+ for sale at any given time.

I am sure this 50+ count is a bit of an exaggeration, but there are always copies of this book out there in the marketplace. hm

I just counted. On E-bay alone there are 46 copies. Grahamcrackers has 3 for sale. Comiclink has 4, Highgrade comics has 5. There might be a little overlap, but without really trying you can find over 50.

I Just checked ebay...and removing reprints, posters, foreign variants and single pages that were slabbed I can only find 31.

I Just checked ebay...and removing reprints, posters, foreign variants and single pages that were slabbed I can only find 31.

Of which just 19 are blue label. (thumbs u

-J.

Of which just 19 are blue label. (thumbs u

-J.

Right. It took a while just to remove all the tins, and prints, and costumes, and repro covers from the grand total lol

See? That's how fast they are selling.

See? That's how fast they are selling.

Hot.

Cakes.

1457025608-giphy-4.gif

How many copies are available is not the only factor.

How much people are asking is very important.

I find most eBay sellers push the envelope on pricing and books sit because they are priced over market. If they were priced below or at market there would be less copies available.

I find most eBay sellers push the envelope on pricing and books sit because they are priced over market. If they were priced below or at market there would be less copies available.

That's exactly what I was about to post.

The market isn't flooded with copies until there are unsold copies sitting at market prices.

Unsold copies above the market price aren't really for sale. They're for whale.

Right, that's what my first post regarding demand was alluding to. There aren't too many copies until there are more copies than buyers. The aggressiveness of ebay set price sellers is another important point.

Make sure you search worldwide and Just type in Amazing 15. You get 47 copies this morning as of 10:26 AM

2 or 3 of those are UK copies.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=16&_sacat=0&_from=R40&rmvSB=true&_nkw=amazing+15&LH_PrefLoc=2&rt=nc

With 28 blue copies (21 CGC)

5 Yellow with no restoration

3 raw copies

1 green

You can also double Comiclinks total to 8 if you count the auction and the exchange totals.

Make sure you search worldwide and Just type in Amazing 15. You get 47 copies this morning as of 10:26 AM

2 or 3 of those are UK copies.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=16&_sacat=0&_from=R40&rmvSB=true&_nkw=amazing+15&LH_PrefLoc=2&rt=nc

With 28 blue copies (21 CGC)

5 Yellow with no restoration

3 raw copies

1 green

You can also double Comiclinks total to 8 if you count the auction and the exchange totals.

That link brings up almost 7,000 results. Did you limit the search in some other way?

It's not just the amount of copies for sale, it's also how they present. I find the same AF15s that don't have eye appeal are the same ones that show up in those FS areas since no one wants to buy them for what the seller probably has a high price on.