• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SQUIRREL GIRL & THE NEW WARRIORS?! (TBD)
1 1

71 posts in this topic

squirrelgirl.jpg

New Warriors TV Series Featuring Squirrel Girl in the Works

TVLine reports that Marvel Entertainment and ABC Studios are developing a New Warriors comedy series that would put the spotlight on Squirrel Girl! The outlet says that Marvel and ABC Studios are shopping the property around to cable and streaming outlets.

First appearing in “The Mighty Thor” #411, the New Warriors are described as a junior counterpart to The Avengers. The original New Warriors was created by editor Tom DeFalco who brought together existing Marvel comic book characters Firestar, Marvel Boy, Namorita, Nova and Speedball and added in the newly-created Night Thrasher. Over time, the team was joined by Silhouette, Rage, Hindsight Lad, Bandit, Dagger, Darkhawk, Powerpax, Turbo and the Scarlet Spider. The New Warriors have been featured in five different volumes.

Squirrel Girl, who first appeared in “Marvel Super-Heroes” Vol. 2, #8, has been in the news lately as Pitch Perfect franchise star Anna Kendrick recently told Net-a-Porter, “My brother sent me a Squirrel Girl comic because he thinks I should [play her]. I don’t know what Squirrel Girl does other than be half squirrel, but I could be half squirrel!”

I'm not surprised. Both are talked about so much.

Edited by Bosco685

I don't see how this could possibly work, esp. as a TV show.

Limited (like, 8-episode) Netflix run? Maybe.

But...no.

Better yet - they should just produce a single 45-minute pilot. Like as a gag and nod to the fans, but not pretend that such a humorous take this can develop into anything long-standing.

Interesting article that rips on the concept and indicts Joe Quesada, Jeph Loeb and Brian Michael Bendis for their recent (and failed) relaunches of both Guardians of the Galaxy and The New Warriors comics in service of the Marvel TV shows & movies rather than fidelity to the classic characters.

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/just-say-no-new-warriors-comedy-series-marvel-tv

That is interesting, as just a year ago (September 2015) when Feige wrote off the Marvel Creative Committee, the concern was by not having the comic book and TV leaders involved in guiding the movies it would lose its way. Yet here are the comic book folks not able to deliver successful comic books on the same characters killing it in the movies.

:o

Sorry. That drama video is too funny.

Bosco - I love it, but umm...

2013 called. They want their meme back.

Seriously, though - I haven't been reading Marvel comics for a few years (and I was never a huge fan of New Warriors or Guardians to begin with) but I would have easily put my faith in Bendis (he _killed_ it on Daredevil Vol.2 and a good 50 issues of ASM before the whole Sins Past fiasco) and (especially) Jeph Loeb (of The Long Halloween and Hush fame).

If they couldn't even manage the comics-to-screen transition of these characters effectively, it's a bad omen that perhaps not even Geoff Johns can help save the DCEU.

Bosco - I love it, but umm...

2013 called. They want their meme back.

Seriously, though - I haven't been reading Marvel comics for a few years (and I was never a huge fan of New Warriors or Guardians to begin with) but I would have easily put my faith in Bendis (he _killed_ it on Daredevil Vol.2 and a good 50 issues of ASM before the whole Sins Past fiasco) and (especially) Jeph Loeb (of The Long Halloween and Hush fame).

If they couldn't even manage the comics-to-screen transition of these characters effectively, it's a bad omen that perhaps not even Geoff Johns can help save the DCEU.

You really try too hard sometimes.

lol

:foryou:

I'm hoping they do this like I said a few weeks ago in the Netflix thread...make it about them doing the reality show with "Office-like" cuts and interviews.

Also, since this is going to be a TV show, my guess is that Anna Kendrick will not be playing Squirrel Girl.

I'm hoping they do this like I said a few weeks ago in the Netflix thread...make it about them doing the reality show with "Office-like" cuts and interviews.

Also, since this is going to be a TV show, my guess is that Anna Kendrick will not be playing Squirrel Girl.

She could offer up the voice work, which then wouldn't be a large schedule burden. Though then you wonder what the benefit will be if folks cannot match up the voice to the actress.

Jeph Loeb is one of the worst writers of comics I've had the misfortune to read in the last 40+ years.

Extremely overrated. Hush was okay, though. Ultimatum wasn't.

Wow - I clearly haven't been reading moderns in a decade.

Found this criticism of Loeb from a different board:

"- He created Superb**** (Kara only became a decent character once Loeb left her alone and stopped trying to God Mode her)

- Every villain he creates is just a reverse of the main villain, and they're all supposed to be Magnificent Bastards (Red Hulk, Hush, Dark Supergirl)

- He killed the Ultimate Universe singlehandedly

- Red Hulk

- Batman's line was cut and he was completely immobilized.

- The same Batman defeated Solomon Grundy multiple times, in H2H, with no prep-time, and standard gear. SOLOMON GRUNDY.

- Superman and Batman can apparently take down every villain in DC, including Mongul and Lady Shiva, in a minute, with no prep-time, no back-up, and no idea who is actually attacking them.

- Dark Victory is the same thing as Long Halloween (without being nearly as great)

- Emperor Joker

- Seriously, Emperor Joker.

- He turned Darkseid into a joke.

- Supergirl and Superman both withstood MULTIPLE blasts of the OMEGA BEAMS.

- His comic was responsible for the worst animated movie ever; Superman/Batman: Apocalypse

- Every "strong" female character he writes is only powerful because they talk down to male characters."

Honorable mention to a sequence in Red Hulk where apparently Hulk kills Silver Surfer by choking him, then joyrides his board to go punch The Watcher.

I need to go find this issue just for the LOLs.

Eh...I give him a (nearly-) lifetime pass for "Hush."

It was like Knightfall, but good, and with far better art. Easily the best in-continuity Batman story since the 70s.

Non of that makes up for every abomination he has produced for Marvel.

(Not the character :gossip:)

Wow - I clearly haven't been reading moderns in a decade.

Found this criticism of Loeb from a different board:

"- He created Superb**** (Kara only became a decent character once Loeb left her alone and stopped trying to God Mode her)

- Every villain he creates is just a reverse of the main villain, and they're all supposed to be Magnificent Bastards (Red Hulk, Hush, Dark Supergirl)

- He killed the Ultimate Universe singlehandedly

- Red Hulk

- Batman's line was cut and he was completely immobilized.

- The same Batman defeated Solomon Grundy multiple times, in H2H, with no prep-time, and standard gear. SOLOMON GRUNDY.

- Superman and Batman can apparently take down every villain in DC, including Mongul and Lady Shiva, in a minute, with no prep-time, no back-up, and no idea who is actually attacking them.

- Dark Victory is the same thing as Long Halloween (without being nearly as great)

- Emperor Joker

- Seriously, Emperor Joker.

- He turned Darkseid into a joke.

- Supergirl and Superman both withstood MULTIPLE blasts of the OMEGA BEAMS.

- His comic was responsible for the worst animated movie ever; Superman/Batman: Apocalypse

- Every "strong" female character he writes is only powerful because they talk down to male characters."

Honorable mention to a sequence in Red Hulk where apparently Hulk kills Silver Surfer by choking him, then joyrides his board to go punch The Watcher.

I need to go find this issue just for the LOLs.

Go and read Ultimatum - I dare you!

Seriously? Does the guy not know anything about these characters?

That's horrible.

Seriously? Does the guy not know anything about these characters?

That's horrible.

Hulk_Vol_2_12_page_13_Red_Hulk_Earth-616-1_zpsnkau56zs.jpg

:facepalm: