• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happens to your collection after you die?

60 posts in this topic

I have also made a list of predators who would undoubtedly reach out, trying to take advantage of my passing and my family's emotion and lack of hobby knowledge, I list them specifically and by name. For each anus that come-a-callin' I've set out some personally tailored invectives to be read aloud and word for word....preferably at a high volume.

Even beyond the grave they're not pulling one over on me.

Great point, that I hadn't considered and will set pen to paper to spell out as well. This is important in getting the highest amount possible for the art and the family. The short list of those I'd not want involved, ultimately comes down to character as much as the predatory angle, in my mind.

I have told my wife of a friend that I trust 100% to take the art and sell it off. That friend will get some art of his choice (Geez, I hope he isn't reading this or I will need to watch out for freak "accident" scenarios that may get set up).

I have had minimal conversation on this but probably need to firm it up considerably. I have a few close friends that would do a great job at liquidating my various collections and they also have similar collections that would benefit from me as a resource so it may be good for all parties to formalize it more than currently. As for liquidating, I am not sure that I want to. My kids might want the stuff. I can see my daughters wanting a few pieces as keepsakes and my son is on a path that he might want to keep the stuff himself. I’d be happy to let them have it and set up some people that could help them sell off what they don’t want.

I have also made a list of predators who would undoubtedly reach out, trying to take advantage of my passing and my family's emotion and lack of hobby knowledge, I list them specifically and by name. For each anus that come-a-callin' I've set out some personally tailored invectives to be read aloud and word for word....preferably at a high volume.

Great point, that I hadn't considered and will set pen to paper to spell out as well. This is important in getting the highest amount possible for the art and the family. The short list of those I'd not want involved, ultimately comes down to character as much as the predatory angle, in my mind.

I have told my wife of a friend that I trust 100% to take the art and sell it off. That friend will get some art of his choice (Geez, I hope he isn't reading this or I will need to watch out for freak "accident" scenarios that may get set up).

True. My list includes, those of questionable character, predators, opportunists, the ethically challenged, the ones who've tried to rip me off in the past, the ones who've tried to rip off people I know in the past, etc etc.

It's sad but it's no different than any other aspect of life and human interaction. For every person who sees a grave illness, accident or death as a tragedy there is at least one more who sees it as an opportunity to line their own pockets.

At least here in the States, talking about death is taboo and so most people don't plan accordingly (like not buying life insurance), leaving their families holding the bag on expenses.

I'm too young to start thinking about the end of life as far as art is concerned (I'm insured otherwise), so if I died tomorrow my artwork would be screwed. This post is a great reminder for me to start jotting the details. If I knew that my life was nearing its end, I would liquidate everything minus what may be sentimental for my family, which at this point is two pieces. Regardless of death's inevitability, I look at these object as non-permanent as you can always lose them in a fire, flood, or theft anyway.

Off topic here, but I have a good friend who's a baby boomer and she and I a few years ago were talking about how the antique market has been flooded, thus, the prices of antiques (or vintage furnishing to say the least) have dropped significantly because Boomers have realized that their kids (now in their 30s-40s) just aren't interested in the stuff. So the Boomers just let all go to consignment, etc. Comic art can easily go this route, too.

Off topic here, but I have a good friend who's a baby boomer and she and I a few years ago were talking about how the antique market has been flooded, thus, the prices of antiques (or vintage furnishing to say the least) have dropped significantly because Boomers have realized that their kids (now in their 30s-40s) just aren't interested in the stuff. So the Boomers just let all go to consignment, etc. Comic art can easily go this route, too.

"Can"? It absolutely will. It's just a question of how long the ride will last.

True. My list includes, those of questionable character, predators, opportunists, the ethically challenged, the ones who've tried to rip me off in the past, the ones who've tried to rip off people I know in the past, etc etc.

It's sad but it's no different than any other aspect of life and human interaction. For every person who sees a grave illness, accident or death as a tragedy there is at least one more who sees it as an opportunity to line their own pockets.

Please tell me you've made special arrangements with Chris Hansen to read this portion of your will. ;)

This stuff is just so hard to plan. Not just because of the unpleasantness of contemplating one's mortality, but also because you just don't know how your mindset will change over time. I mean, I was a fanatical buyer/collector of comic books between 1999 and 2004. If you had asked me at any point during that time, I would have said that I'd never sell them. By 2006, I was out of the hobby and actively selling my collection after I had fully switched over to OA.

Already I'm finding that some art I would have paid up big for 6 or 7 years ago I no longer even have interest in anymore. I suspect a lot more art will fall into that category with each passing year. I can almost guarantee that I'll have no interest in buying more OA when I'm in my 60s, and maybe not even when I'm much past 50 or 55.

I hope to hold some portion of my collection until the bitter end and leave it for my heirs. I would have said that most of the art I own probably fell into that category, but, I've come to realize that it's probably better that I should sell off everything that my heirs are not going to keep at some point down the road. Better that I control that process than have to burden my heirs with it. Of course, that's assuming that I don't meet with an untimely demise; in that event, I suspect my heirs will keep a few special pieces and just ship the rest off to the auction block. I do hope that my child(ren) will keep some of the pieces I've acquired "in the family" for a long time to come. :wishluck:

I hope to hold some portion of my collection until the bitter end and leave it for my heirs. I would have said that most of the art I own probably fell into that category, but, I've come to realize that it's probably better that I should sell off everything that my heirs are not going to keep at some point down the road. Better that I control that process than have to burden my heirs with it. Of course, that's assuming that I don't meet with an untimely demise; in that event, I suspect my heirs will keep a few special pieces and just ship the rest off to the auction block. I do hope that my child(ren) will keep some of the pieces I've acquired "in the family" for a long time to come. :wishluck:

This resonates a lot with me. My collection has been almost exclusively inbound in nature so I have amassed a lot of “stuff” over the years. As much as I would like to say I will keep it until the bitter end, I know that I need to start reducing so that my heirs don’t have a mountain of items to figure out. I also don’t want that burden on them. I do believe that they will keep some pieces in the family to pass down and think there is an outside chance that my son might want a considerable amount of it as I think we are cut from the same (collecting) cloth.

Please tell me you've made special arrangements with Chris Hansen to read this portion of your will. ;)

1a93nd.jpg

tumblr_m36eejZKFE1r5jtugo1_250.gif

Better that I control that process than have to burden my heirs with it. Of course, that's assuming that I don't meet with an untimely demise; in that event, I suspect my heirs will keep a few special pieces and just ship the rest off to the auction block. I do hope that my child(ren) will keep some of the pieces I've acquired "in the family" for a long time to come. :wishluck:

(thumbs u

1a93nd.jpg

tumblr_m36eejZKFE1r5jtugo1_250.gif

lol:golfclap:

Every situation is different but I advise people to streamline their personal property as much as possible while they are alive and capable. Not only will your knowledge of the market translate into higher prices but it will reduce the burden on your heirs. Don't wait too long either because nothing gets easier with time.

The only member of 'the next generation' for my family is an out-of-wedlock child (not mine), who is swiftly growing up. My current LW&T mentioned the child only obliquely, as it was written some time ago; but, as they grow up... decisions need to be made. I need to re-visit my LW&T.

As an aid to my executor, I keep an Excel spreadsheet with piece names, portfolio locations, purchase dates & prices, and estimated market value independent of what I paid. Where necessary, there are notes in the spreadsheet as to the significance (or lack thereof) of any particular piece. I would be happy to forward a blank template of my file to anyone who's interested.

Hard for me to think about what might happen should I pass suddenly - my collection is (obviously) very narrowly focused, with several complete issues present. It would be a shame to think of it (and 'the completes' in particular) broken up and scattered to the four winds.

I shame there is no established, stable comic book museum. tsk.

"I advise people to streamline their personal property as much as possible while they are alive and capable"

Yours is the best idea in my opinion. No one knows or appreciates the value of ones collection better than the one that collected it.

Since passing the 65 year mark I have gradually begun slowly (very slowly) selling off my collection with the goal of getting down to 6-8 grail type pieces that should be easier for my spouse and children to either keep or sell. It is a very hard thing because as I get older there are fewer things that hold my interest and my collection is something I still really enjoy a lot.

My grandfather collected coins that were made of silver.

Roosevelt and Mercury Dimes, Washington Quarters, and Walking Liberty Franklin and Kennedy Half-Dollars minted in 1964 and earlier are 90% silver.

He had bags & barrels of them.

When he died (unexpectedly); my grandmother went into purge mode.

Before we knew it -- she took them to a coin dealer who paid her for the weight:

Silver Price Per Ounce $19.82

... Not for a second considering that coins have numismatic value.

This month i started labeling my art.

If i die -- i at LEAST want my heirs to be able to quickly identify what they are holding.